PDA

View Full Version : la trend--chopping

snakehead
09-16-2002, 03:21 AM
I just thought I would mention this since there was a thread about chopping in the mid-hi forum. recently, a lot of players have a new take on chopping. if they are asked if they chop, they will say, no, but I negotiate .

this means that sometimes they chop, and sometimes they don't. this isn't angle shooting, it just means that they will chop bad hands and not chop others. example: sam is the small blind, and I'm the big. everyone folds to sam, and he puts in two chips. I check behind, which means I have a bad hand because otherwise I would have raised. sam says, let's chop this one , and I say ok.

for the record, if asked, I always say I don't chop. I prefer that you fold your small blind to me rather than trying to get me to chop. but once in a blue moon, sam gets the best of me.

MichaelD
09-16-2002, 03:27 AM
Snakehead,

you wrote

"recently, a lot of players have a new take on chopping. if they are asked if they chop, they will say, no, but I negotiate."

I have not heard of this before and am curious as to where this is happening and what do you mean by a lot of players. I play in Chicago but also travel and play a fair amount. I have not been to California since March/April and Vegas since January butI did not hear anything like this back then.

It really sounds like an interesting idea. How have players reacted to it and have you seen it cause any problems.

I am curious to hear any more information you or others may be able to share. Thanks in advance.

Just some thoughts...

Michael D.

MichaelD
09-16-2002, 03:29 AM
Ok - I must be getting tired - I just re-read the title ad saw "la trend" sorry for the oversight and dumb question.

Just some thoughts...

Michael D.

HDPM
09-16-2002, 05:14 PM
Negotiate this. /forums/images/icons/mad.gif I don't like that trend. It slows the game down and looks bad. My policy in non-shorthanded games is to chop with anyone who wants to chop. If someone doesn't chop- fine, we'll play. But I'm not going into negotiating every hand. Might make for some interesting reverse tells though, like asking about a chop with a powerful hand. Do you risk it? I don't look at my cards until the SB has acted anyway. Maybe I don't like it because I have seen players who chop until they get a good hand without announcing a case by case or negotiate policy. Of course, I will NEVER chop again with these players. Announcing you negotiate is different, I know, but I don't like the practice. Either chop or don't.

Jimbo
09-16-2002, 06:42 PM
If I ever get that answer from a player he wil be in for a long session of tough heads up play when the situation arises.

Jimbo

snakehead
09-16-2002, 08:11 PM
like I said, when asked, I don't chop. the only time this might be an issue for me is if one of these players is in the small blind, and they will ask to chop just this one time if they sense I am weak. in those situations, I feel like I am getting the best of it.

but here's something else you probably won't like: it is very common in la for someone to say, take the profit or I'll take the profit. this means that you called my raise btf, and before we see the flop, you say, take the profit, which means you get your money back, and I take whatever else is in the pot (usually the blinds). or, after you call me, I say, I'll take the profit, and you take your money back as acceptance of my offer.

I almost never accept this deal either way, but there is one player who has offered to let me take the profit a couple of times when he held AK, and I ended up losing to him both times.

another situation that comes up often is for the bb to say, one chip back?, implying that he will call otherwise. I always say, nah, go ahead and put in four more. /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif

HDPM
09-17-2002, 09:59 AM
"and they will ask to chop just this one time "

But is it really just one time? If you do it 2x per year it's not just once. Not chopping is fine, stick with it.

AlanBostick
09-17-2002, 03:46 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />

this means that sometimes they chop, and sometimes they don't. this isn't angle shooting, it just means that they will chop bad hands and not chop others.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm missing something. Could you explain precisely why this isn't angle shooting?

It seems to me that "negotiating" gives the big blind a big advantage: if the small blind negotiates and offers a chop to the big blind, the big blind can refuse and either win the small blind there, or steal with a raise or with a steal-bet on the flop, more often than if the small-blind player either chops or plays.

snakehead
09-17-2002, 08:55 PM
I guess only choppers are upset by this. non-choppers couldn't care less. for some reason, choppers think that if you chop once, you always have to chop. I've never seen that in the rule books, and at least a negotiator is honest, unlike those who chop all night until they pick up AA.

that's why I don't chop. I don't have to worry about who does and who doesn't, or about how many players are in the game. but if someone offers to give me back my blind when I have 72, I'm going to take it.