PDA

View Full Version : World Cup - Question for Canadians

jackdaniels
03-01-2005, 01:34 PM
Any Canadians here participate in the World Cup on Stars? I registered for it thinking it would be cool to represent my country in the finals - and then I saw how many people were thinking the same... I unregistered when it hit 700 or so. I just checked this morning and apparently it ran till 5:30am today (from 8pm last night) - 9.5 hours!!! Does anyone else here think that it would have been better to run a regional qualifier for Canada (as they did for the US)? I counted the entries to the US State qualifiers and it was about 2000 over all (with California having the largest number of entries at 138). Canada had 832 entries - and they all had to battle it out in one tourney (England was the next biggest with 171 - just to give you some perspective).

I just think that sucks.

(cross posted in Internet Gambling and 1 Table Tournaments)

BlackAces
03-01-2005, 03:02 PM
You're absolutely right. I played last night and got knocked out in the second round (in four hands...ran into slowplayed aces and a boat-over-boat situation). I WILL NOT play Thursday night. I shudder to think how late I would've been up had I made it deep into the tournament...the second round was still going on at 10:30, two and a half hours after the thing started, and they still had eight more rounds to play.

I think they'd be much better off doing it by province, similar to the US qualifier. The TeamUSA qualifier, though, is going to max out and go for about 14 hours, I think.

jackdaniels
03-01-2005, 03:09 PM
Why do you say the TeamUSA will last 14 hours? Isn't it one qualifier per state?

BlackAces
03-01-2005, 03:37 PM
There are 4 US teams - 3 teams made up of state qualifiers, and what they're calling "TeamUSA." There are two qualifiers for "TeamUSA" in the lobby with the other country qualifiers. Anyone who didn't qualify through their home state can qualify this way, from what I understand. I expect there to be the maximum number of entrants (2048) for each one of these.

jackdaniels
03-01-2005, 04:04 PM
Yes, that would definelty suck. My advice to anyone thinking of playing in a 2048 person field is:

DON'T!

Greg (FossilMan)
03-01-2005, 05:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yes, that would definelty suck. My advice to anyone thinking of playing in a 2048 person field is:

DON'T!

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? I sure wish I had seen known this before I entered the 2004 WSOP.

;-)

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)

wray
03-01-2005, 05:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

DON'T!

[/ QUOTE ]

;-)

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly!!!!What were you thinking?

AngryCola
03-01-2005, 06:02 PM
FossilMan just pwned that guy.

Very nice.

TheBob
03-01-2005, 06:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

DON'T!

[/ QUOTE ]

;-)

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a bunch of heads up matches though where only 1st pays out...it's a tad different.

Firefly
03-01-2005, 06:35 PM
My buddy got to the top 64. It is hella tough to keep your concentration that long. Even the Great Britain Qualifier only had 100 or so entrants. It is rediculous to have to go through 8! HU matches in like 9 hours. Not worth it imho

DemonDeac
03-01-2005, 06:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

DON'T!

[/ QUOTE ]

;-)

[/ QUOTE ]

haha. got'em

BlackAces
03-01-2005, 06:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

DON'T!

[/ QUOTE ]

;-)

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a bunch of heads up matches though where only 1st pays out...it's a tad different.

[/ QUOTE ]
And it doesn't even pay out...it's an entry into another tournament with a relatvely small prize pool ($125,000), paid out only to the top 4 finishers at most, and each prize is split five ways on top of that.

I'd play in a 20,480-person field for a shot at $5 million.

jackdaniels
03-02-2005, 12:38 PM
What are you talking about???? Do you think playing 10 hours of heads up matches where only first wins anything (not even $$!) is comparable to playing an MTT for millions of dollars in prize money???

Since the original thread relates specifically to the HU matches in the World Cup, I didn't think I had to qualify my response to say "Don't play HU in a field of 2048".

Greg's response, while funny, has no bearing on the original intent/question in the thread. You could have laughed and moved on - your dumb comment suggests only that you are more interested in being a "yes man" to a celebrity on these forums than providing anything remotely constructive to the discussion. My advice to you is to stop seeking out Greg's threads and replying to them unless you have something smart to say.