PDA

View Full Version : The best defense against a fellow 2+2er

Scuba Chuck
03-01-2005, 12:37 PM
Well, last night I went to load up 4 $33s, only to find a fellow 2er there. So I politely sat down to his right, and quickly loaded up 2 more tables, and luckily /images/graemlins/grin.gif sat down to his immediate right there as well.

About 3 hands into it, he noticed me on one of the tables, and somewhat excitedly said "hey Scub." Then on table two he wrote down "ugh", and then following that on table 3 he said "ugh, u better not have done that on purpose."

Anyway, the point of my post was to illustrate the exquisite skills he displayed to keep me from stealing too many of his blinds.

On ALL 3 tables, by the time we reached level 4, our fellow 2+2 poster had dwindled his stack all the way down to the 400-500 range. My hopes of leaning on him for an EZ blind steal was lost by my concerns that he might call with a little less than premium hand knowing this. He subsequently doubled and doubled again (pretty much all 3 tables) with some solid suckouts /images/graemlins/blush.gif and good hands. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Now when it came around to me he had me covered by more than 2:1.

Needless to say, my ploy of sitting to his immediate right didn't work as well as I planned. Next time, I'm sitting two to your right ...watch out.

Bigwig
03-01-2005, 12:40 PM
What's your username there? Is it Scuba Chuck? Or Scuba something else? I was at a table with a Scuba the other day, but didn't say anything.

Scuba Chuck
03-01-2005, 12:43 PM
There are a few other scuba's out there, but there is only one Scuba_chuck. /images/graemlins/grin.gif Oh, and only one Scuba_Chuk /images/graemlins/grin.gif

lorinda
03-01-2005, 12:49 PM
Well, last night I went to load up 4 $33s, only to find a fellow 2er there. So I politely sat down to his right, and quickly loaded up 2 more tables, and luckily sat down to his immediate right there as well.

The best seat against a good player is 5 seats away from them.

Lori

Scuba Chuck
03-01-2005, 12:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The best seat against a good player is 5 seats away from them.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure I said a fellow 2+2er, not a good player. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Phil Van Sexton
03-01-2005, 01:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm pretty sure I said a fellow 2+2er, not a good player.

[/ QUOTE ]

At the 30s, the 2+2ers are often good and exploitable at the same time. Many play weak/tight early, and then get aggressive with raises at the bubble (but not calls).

Scuba's plan to sit to the trout's immediate right was a good one, except scuba's handle gives away his intentions. Letting people know your name is definately a disadvantage (just ask Saabpo).

btw - I remember seeing a certain scuba min-raise UTG last week. I turbo-folded. Anyone want to guess what he had?

The Yugoslavian
03-01-2005, 01:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Well, last night I went to load up 4 $33s, only to find a fellow 2er there. So I politely sat down to his right, and quickly loaded up 2 more tables, and luckily /images/graemlins/grin.gif sat down to his immediate right there as well.

About 3 hands into it, he noticed me on one of the tables, and somewhat excitedly said "hey Scub." Then on table two he wrote down "ugh", and then following that on table 3 he said "ugh, u better not have done that on purpose."

Anyway, the point of my post was to illustrate the exquisite skills he displayed to keep me from stealing too many of his blinds.

On ALL 3 tables, by the time we reached level 4, our fellow 2+2 poster had dwindled his stack all the way down to the 400-500 range. My hopes of leaning on him for an EZ blind steal was lost by my concerns that he might call with a little less than premium hand knowing this. He subsequently doubled and doubled again (pretty much all 3 tables) with some solid suckouts /images/graemlins/blush.gif and good hands. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Now when it came around to me he had me covered by more than 2:1.

Needless to say, my ploy of sitting to his immediate right didn't work as well as I planned. Next time, I'm sitting two to your right ...watch out.

[/ QUOTE ]

The opponent he is referring to is nothing remotely special but most likely a winning player.

Also, not sitting at a table with a known 2+2er is better for one's ROI than sitting *anywhere* at his/her table. It shouldn't be hard to see why this is.

Oh, one more thing, if the OP wants a lesson in how to lean on a 2+2er, I have HHs with a far superior player where I did just that, /images/graemlins/grin.gif.

Yugoslav

se2schul
03-01-2005, 02:14 PM
I've ran into Ilya a couple times recently. Knowing that he's a good 2+2er makes my strategy easy: avoidance. There are 8 other people at the table. It's not hard to avoid him early.

As for late game, it seemed that once I entered the pot on a steal, he was out and vice-versa. We just took turns taking the blinds. Once I raise the pot late game, do you think he'll play back at me with less than JJ ??

ss

Scuba Chuck
03-01-2005, 02:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The opponent he is referring to is nothing remotely special but most likely a winning player.

[/ QUOTE ]

How verifyable is this statement? /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

I think he told me something about closing the action with 7:1 pot odds for 15 chips was a very bad move. I mean, come on, can this guy be a winning player?

[ QUOTE ]
Also, not sitting at a table with a known 2+2er is better for one's ROI than sitting *anywhere* at his/her table.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, you know, I thought a little practice against a ***solid*** (tight) player with position might be a good workout for me. To test my skillz. I mean, it says this in all the books, and on this forum.

Seriously though, there's a fair argument that can be made that it is +$EV just to verify that this 2er really can play, or am I just drinking his koolAid? Am I just following this pied piper into the sea? Does he eat his own cooking? Let alone all the forum ribbing I can dish if he doesn't

In the end, it wasn't significantly a +ROI experience for me, only 21% for those 3 games. Two 3rds and a 4th /images/graemlins/blush.gif

FWIW, I have verified that it is safe to listen to his posts on bubble play. He played solid. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Hopefully, and not too obviously, you've noticed I have a very DRY humor ...perhaps you can see through this.

The Yugoslavian
03-01-2005, 03:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]

How verifyable is this statement? /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Not very, /images/graemlins/tongue.gif.

[ QUOTE ]

I think he told me something about closing the action with 7:1 pot odds for 15 chips was a very bad move. I mean, come on, can this guy be a winning player?

[/ QUOTE ]

I doubt he used the word *very* but it is a distinct possibility!

[ QUOTE ]

Well, you know, I thought a little practice against a ***solid*** (tight) player with position might be a good workout for me. To test my skillz. I mean, it says this in all the books, and on this forum.

Seriously though, there's a fair argument that can be made that it is +$EV just to verify that this 2er really can play, or am I just drinking his koolAid? Am I just following this pied piper into the sea? Does he eat his own cooking? Let alone all the forum ribbing I can dish if he doesn't

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think he cooks much, /images/graemlins/wink.gif. But when he does I'm pretty sure he eats everything he cooks. While he also doesn't like to drink Kool-Aid it's come to my attention that according to his posts he surely must drink a fair amount of Heineken.

[ QUOTE ]

In the end, it wasn't significantly a +ROI experience for me, only 21% for those 3 games. Two 3rds and a 4th /images/graemlins/blush.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Ha! Only 21%? C'mon, you were to the right of a complete moron who kept saying you were sitting to his left!

[ QUOTE ]

FWIW, I have verified that it is safe to listen to his posts on bubble play. He played solid. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

He made several mistakes as well.

[ QUOTE ]

Hopefully, and not too obviously, you've noticed I have a very DRY humor ...perhaps you can see through this.

[/ QUOTE ]

As do I sometimes. Noted and confirmed, /images/graemlins/grin.gif.

Yugoslav

Vetstadium
03-01-2005, 03:12 PM
I have an alias at Partyskins now very rarely Vetstadium, so when I see a fellow 2 plus 2 player I give them more respect. I guess if they checked my stats on pokerprophecy you can tell if person knows how to play any way. I have been tempted to say hello to couple names I recognize but then I will be made and my sometimes viewed as crazy play may be correct after all. LOL. Good luck while I know who you are.