PDA

View Full Version : Mr. Brier, I disagree with your logic.

EnderW27
03-01-2005, 12:35 PM
In the first example listed within your "two instructive hands" article, you have AJo in late position. You're in between a very readable opponent with position on you and a maniac.

First in, you raise which I think is fine. But then the "tight-passive" player who only raises when "he had a real hand" does raise you. Shouldn't that tell you that AJo is chasing at this point?

The maniac raises and who really cares what he has, he could have 10-5 for all I care. The fact is it's now two bets back to you and you call because of the size of the pot.

But when the flop comes down and the maniac bets out - like you knew he would - you have to call. Again, for the size of the pot. And if the guy with position on you then raises and it comes back to you for one more bet, would you call? Probably. Are you ahead? Most likely not. But at this point you've been sucked in for four small bets on a hand that was only slightly above average to begin with and has already been declared to be inferior to at least one of your opponents.

What flop would have been good for you anyway? The way Steve played he had an ace with a better kicker so any ace was out. On the rag flop you got, you still have no clue Steve doesn't have a high pair and he'll charge you money to stick around. Either way, you've got a maniac pushing you from the other side and you'll continually throw in money "for the size of the pot."

The "maniac" actually had a hand that was beating yours up to the river anyway but that's irrelevant. What I want to know is how many bets you'll have to put in before you say "screw the size of the pot, I'm obviously losing and this is a bad spot to try to make a stand" ?