PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Home Game Hand-Did My Opponent Make Correct Call?

grandgnu
03-01-2005, 12:09 PM
We're in a 14-player $50 Pot-Limit Hold 'Em event. Still at around 11-12 players from what I recall. We've passed the add-on point (you start with 1500 chips for $30 and add-on another 1000 chips for $20)

I'm up to around 4K in chips, one of the larger stacks at the table and on the BB (blinds at 150/300) and I hold 7/8. My opponent limps in from position (Button) with no other callers and the SB folds, it's her and I heads-up.

Flop is 7d 8d Js

Pot is around 750 chips and I bet out 300, she re-raises me the pot and I, holding two pair re-raise her the new pot, getting her all-in (I still have around 700-800 chips after this).

She calls with Ad Jh. Her explanation was that she had the Ace of diamonds and figured she could catch the flush (oye vey, another runner-runner chaser)

Granted, she had top pair and top kicker, but my re-raise showed significant strength. The hand was played exactly how I wanted. I wanted her to push against my flop raise, and I wanted her to call, I figured my hand was best at that point.

Of course she caught the Ace on the turn and her two pair beat mine. But did she have correct pot-odds to call after I re-raised her re-raise with only the naked Ace? I could definetely see if she had A/J of diamonds that she'd have the flush draw and top pair top kicker, but she didn't have the flush draw except for runner-runner if she gets lucky.

Paul2432
03-01-2005, 12:49 PM
If I figure the betting correctly, she was getting a little over 3:1 to call your re-raise all-in. Even if you showed your hand, she would have pot odds to call. However, she has no way of knowing your holding. From her point of view there must be some chance she has the best hand right now (perhaps 15%). Of course, you could also have a set or straight from her perspective, leaving her drawing nearly dead.

My point is that this question is impossible to answer without knowing how you play. What other hands would you play this way?

Paul

grandgnu
03-01-2005, 01:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If I figure the betting correctly, she was getting a little over 3:1 to call your re-raise all-in. Even if you showed your hand, she would have pot odds to call. However, she has no way of knowing your holding. From her point of view there must be some chance she has the best hand right now (perhaps 15%). Of course, you could also have a set or straight from her perspective, leaving her drawing nearly dead.

My point is that this question is impossible to answer without knowing how you play. What other hands would you play this way?

Paul

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm......good point. Well, she limped in from position, and I was on the blind heads-up against her, so I could be holding just about anything.

It's possible I could have held 9/10 and flopped the straight, I could've had two diamonds and a strong flush draw, etc.

I figure she thinks of me as a relatively solid player, she's made some questionable calls in the past. I remember one time her husband held 6/6 and I held Q/Q and another guy held A/A and she held A/10 of hearts.

There was pre-flop raising going on, then a flop of something like 2/6/K with two hearts. Cory bet out with his set, and the guy with the Aces wound up pushing and she called with her flush draw and caught the heart on the river.

I think she overvalued her flush possibilities with the naked ace. I can see where she felt strong heads-up with top pair and top kicker. But there were a lot of draws out there (straight, flush) and I tend to be a TAG player (at least I consider myself as such)

Her husband is a very strong player, although I think he overestimates his wifes abilities.

istarigul
03-01-2005, 10:26 PM
What was your opponents chip count?

So the betting was:

$750 preflop
you bet 300 - total 1050
she raises the pot - total 2100
you raise the pot - total 4200

So she would have to call 1050 to win 4200 correct?

It seems like she did exactly what you wanted? If you wanted
to apply the maxium pressure you'd have started with a pot
size raise. But it seems like you wanted to get her to put
all her chips in the pot. Rarely do we get the luxury of
getting someone all in when we have a lock so we have to
take those 75/25 shots /images/graemlins/smile.gif

grandgnu
03-02-2005, 07:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
What was your opponents chip count?

So the betting was:

$750 preflop
you bet 300 - total 1050
she raises the pot - total 2100
you raise the pot - total 4200

So she would have to call 1050 to win 4200 correct?

It seems like she did exactly what you wanted? If you wanted
to apply the maxium pressure you'd have started with a pot
size raise. But it seems like you wanted to get her to put
all her chips in the pot. Rarely do we get the luxury of
getting someone all in when we have a lock so we have to
take those 75/25 shots /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, everything went down as I wanted it to (i.e. her putting all her chips in with the worst of it) but I just got outdrawn.

I had about 3800-4200 total chips from what I recall, slightly beating out her chip total.