PDA

View Full Version : Raise or fold from the SB (need an explanation)

sethypooh21
03-01-2005, 11:04 AM
I feel stupid even asking this, but I need an explanation about why "raise or fold" is correct.

I'm SB with 22-66, folded to button who raises...

JKDStudent
03-01-2005, 11:11 AM
Because it's assumed that the button is just trying to steal. If you just call, you're encouraging him to be aggressive in future rounds. If you come back at him pre-flop, you get a stronger indication of whether he actually has a hand or just wants your blind. Also, it will make him more likely to check to you on the flop.

ISF
03-01-2005, 11:14 AM
As you are usually only a 50/50 against the button and are out of position, you need bb's dead money in the pot to make this play profitable. As well it is much more difficult to play these hands against two opponents then one. You dont have odds to fold if you dont hit a set. And there will alomst always be overcards. So playing them out of position vs two opponents is rather difficult. I would usually need 66 or up to make this play though.

otnemem
03-01-2005, 11:33 AM
I also think it makes a difference whether you're playing limit or no limit. I think that in NL it's much more often a call and play it by ear. But then again, not as many people are stealing blinds in NL. In a limit game, it's raise or fold because you either have to take the reigns or get out of the way. By reraising with 22-66, you can lead on the flop with less chance of being played off your hand.