PDA

View Full Version : Plugging A Leak - Thanks Irieguy!

ColdestCall
03-01-2005, 10:41 AM
So I was having a bit of a bad run at the $55s, and was beginning to question my game... I decided to browse through some of Ireiguy's posts because I always find his advice helpful, and I thought I might be able to discover a leak in my game buried somewhere in the pearls of Irie's wisdom. Lo and behold, there it was, shining like a beacon to the poker promised land! I can't believe I hadn't noticed this myself....

For reasons that are unclear, I had abandoned my usual pre-game ritual of downing an ice cold St. Pauli Girl (my import of choice - no offense intended to Heineken, which is a great beer - I just find the Girl a little crisper), and then enjoying another during each tourney or set. After rectifying this situation, I immediately proceeded to reel off a run of 9 out of 12 ITM (there was a little McCallan and Glenlivet mixed in with the sample, which taints it somewhat, but I think the general principle still holds...)

Granted, it didn't hurt that I started winning one race after another, hitting my draws for cheap and then getting paid, bluffing at all the right times and sucking out when I got called, and absoluting labelling a couple of opponents with bad beats, but all of that stuff is random and pales in importance to the proper St. Pauli inspired attitude that ALL of the chips on the table belonged to ME, that my opponents were just borrowing them temporarily, that I COULD NOT be beat, that I was the best player at the table, and that I was going to WIN EVERY TIME.

Thanks Irieguy!

benfranklin
03-01-2005, 01:36 PM
Isn't the +EV of plugging that leak offset by the -EV of taking a leak more often /images/graemlins/confused.gif

spentrent
03-01-2005, 01:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Isn't the +EV of plugging that leak offset by the -EV of taking a leak more often /images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Dammit I was trying to think of something piss-related to say about that.

OatmealJoe
03-01-2005, 01:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]

For reasons that are unclear, I had abandoned my usual pre-game ritual of downing an ice cold St. Pauli Girl (my import of choice - no offense intended to Heineken, which is a great beer - I just find the Girl a little crisper), and then enjoying another during each tourney or set. After rectifying this situation, I immediately proceeded to reel off a run of 9 out of 12 ITM (there was a little McCallan and Glenlivet mixed in with the sample, which taints it somewhat, but I think the general principle still holds...)

[/ QUOTE ]

I am a big believer in state-dependant learning. If you have success and are in the zone with a St. Pauli Girl in front of you, don't mess with it. Keep it up!

pooh74
03-01-2005, 02:01 PM
I just found out a few months ago that St. Pauli's is nothing more than Becks in a bottle different...same plant, exact same beer...only difference is that St. Pauli's is made for domestic and Becks is exported...or something like that...blew my mind cas I always thought it was good (which basically means that Becks is too)...goes to show what a hot german matron can do when placed on the bottle...explains why I like SunMade raisens and Land O' Lakes so much as well.

skipperbob
03-01-2005, 02:17 PM
Hold the bottle at the correct angle & you can see down her blouse /images/graemlins/blush.gif

Scuba Chuck
03-01-2005, 03:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hold the bottle at the correct angle & you can see down her blouse

[/ QUOTE ]

Skipper, thanks for being here, just to make me laugh.

benfranklin
03-01-2005, 04:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hold the bottle at the correct angle & you can see down her blouse /images/graemlins/blush.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

If you hold the bottle up to your ear, you can hear the ocean /images/graemlins/grin.gif

skipperbob
03-01-2005, 04:54 PM
Thank You Scuba!!...You join a select group of cognescenti(Irieguy,ChickenPherzen & Yugoslavian) who recognize humor when they see it /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Irieguy
03-01-2005, 06:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So I was having a bit of a bad run at the $55s, and was beginning to question my game... I decided to browse through some of Ireiguy's posts because I always find his advice helpful, and I thought I might be able to discover a leak in my game buried somewhere in the pearls of Irie's wisdom. Lo and behold, there it was, shining like a beacon to the poker promised land! I can't believe I hadn't noticed this myself....

Granted, it didn't hurt that I started winning one race after another, hitting my draws for cheap and then getting paid, bluffing at all the right times and sucking out when I got called, and absoluting labelling a couple of opponents with bad beats, but all of that stuff is random and pales in importance to the proper St. Pauli inspired attitude that ALL of the chips on the table belonged to ME, that my opponents were just borrowing them temporarily, that I COULD NOT be beat, that I was the best player at the table, and that I was going to WIN EVERY TIME.

Thanks Irieguy!

[/ QUOTE ]

Glad I could help, CC.

Please do not underestimate the effect of the Glenlivet on your game. There are several documentated case studies involving loosing $11 players who were able to beat the $215's for extended periods of time with the help of a single-malt scotch.

Anecdotally, my partner decided to fire up a round of $30/60 after a heavy night of substance abuse last week and soundly defeated all foes, even though he is normally a $33 SNG player... leading me to believe that the full potential of medicinal aids in poker has not yet been tapped.

I wish I could find Frozen... I think he may have been onto something.

Irieguy

Hillbilly Cat
03-02-2005, 10:27 AM
lol.. nice post.

I schmoke and drink a lot, and until recently I found this affected my game... well, the screen starts moving doesn't it.

But now I've discovered the secret to winning poker.

Absinthe.

The screen still moves, but now its more like a surrealist symphony of movement that swirls and conspires to produce inspiration and bravado.

The only tiny drawback is that after a couple of hours I simply collapse and fall off the chair... my winnings go the same way. Consequently I've purchased a chair with arms.

PS/ For the best stuff I'd try www.eabsinthe.com. (http://www.eabsinthe.com.) Although I've been told its not legal in the states. Is that true? How terrible... write to your government representative immediately.

ColdestCall
03-02-2005, 11:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Please do not underestimate the effect of the Glenlivet on your game. There are several documentated case studies involving loosing $11 players who were able to beat the $215's for extended periods of time with the help of a single-malt scotch.
Irieguy

[/ QUOTE ]

No doubt the single-malt can be a powerful ally. I can distinctly remember a three week period last year where the Glenlivet fueled me to a 2nd and 3rd place finish in a three week span in the $11 Stars Multi Table Rebuy (with some ridiculous number of particpants, like well over 500) out of three tournaments played. Unfortunately, I have found that drinking large quantities of Glenlivet and staying up until 4:30 AM playing Multi's is extremely incompatible with sound work performance the following day, so I was unable to continue my research in that particular area...

1C5
03-02-2005, 11:37 AM
Interesting...

Absinthe is a strong herbal liqueur distilled with a great number of flavorful herbs like anise, licorice, hyssop, veronica, fennel, lemon balm, angelica and wormwood (the flavor of anise and/or licorice, at least in contemporary forms of the liquor, tends to predominate). Wormwood, the one that's gained the most notoriety, is Artemisia absinthum, an herb that grows wild in Europe and has been cultivated in the United States as well. Much of the liquor's legendary effect is due to its extremely high alcohol content, ranging from 50% to 75% (usually around 60%), plus the contribution of the various herbs.

skipperbob
03-02-2005, 12:31 PM
"Screw Work"...SkipperBob; "You're Fired!"...Skipperbob's boss