PDA

View Full Version : World Cup

jackdaniels
03-01-2005, 10:38 AM
Any Canadians here participate in the World Cup on Stars? I registered for it thinking it would be cool to represent my country in the finals - and then I saw how many people were thinking the same... I unregistered when it hit 700 or so. I just checked this morning and apparently it ran till 5:30am today (from 8pm last night) - 9.5 hours!!! Does anyone else here think that it would have been better to run a regional qualifier for Canada (as they did for the US)? I counted the entries to the US State qualifiers and it was about 2000 over all (with California having the largest number of entries at 138). Canada had 832 entries - and they all had to battle it out in one tourney (England was the next biggest with 171 - just to give you some perspective).

I just think that sucks.

chesterp
03-01-2005, 12:29 PM
can't help your question, didn't participate, but i find it interesting that canada had almost half the participants that the U.S. did, and 7 times the 3rd most country. with 10% the population of the US, that puts poker almost 5 times as popular in canada as the US. you think canada is the biggest poker nation in terms of %? i always assumed it was the US.

jackdaniels
03-01-2005, 01:32 PM
I always assumed it was the US as well -and that is why I never questioned the breakdown of US (only) participation for the Cup by State. The problem is - Stars DOES know what the population breakdown is - they have detailed records on exactly how many players come from each region. One thing they may not have taken into account was how many would want to participate in a 50 FPP heads up event - although an approximation would have been appropriate. Had they at least divided the qualifier to an East Coast/West Coast perliminary match, I would have participated. The reason I posted this in the first place was to see if there were other Canadian players who chose to sit out or played but were bummed by the long process (and gave up midway) - cause if there were, then maybe this is something Stars can address in future matches. If I was the only one who didn't play because if the huge field, so be it - if there are others out there who feel the same, speak up and I'll be sure to forward the gist of the thread to Stars.

(original post now cross posted to World Poker Tour and other Televised Tournaments and One Table Tournaments)