PDA

View Full Version : Top pair and nut flush draw line

cjmewett
03-01-2005, 10:08 AM
2/5 NL, second hand after sitting down, no reads.

Relevant stacks: Hero and Villain both 500.

SB and BB post, Villain (MP) raises to $10.

All fold to Hero on Button, calls with A/images/graemlins/spade.gif 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif. SB folds, BB calls $5.

Three to the flop with $32:

FLOP A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif T/images/graemlins/spade.gif 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif

BB checks
Villain Bets $25
Hero raises to $100
BB folds
Villain calls $75

TURN ($232) 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif
Villain checks
Hero checks

RIVER ($232) 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif
Villain checks
Hero checks

FINAL POT $232

Thoughts? Flay me as you will. I know the PF call is questionable, so that's not really what I'm looking for.

I figured I should just be happy to get two free cards in the end, seeing as I likely would have called at least $30 worth of bets on the last two streets. Is this idiotic? Should I have kept firing on the turn to sell my represented set or two pair?

HoldEm_Hero
03-01-2005, 10:24 AM
I don't really mind the pre-flop call on the button, but when you re-raise the flop you should follow up with a bet on the turn, the line you took just seems so weak and it screams draw, if he was a good player when the flush missed he could have taken the pot down there and probably did with A and better kicker. Let me know.

PokerFink
03-01-2005, 11:01 AM
Was your goal to get free cards? If so, I don't think you need to raise (nearly) the pot on the flop. I think a raise to 75 will accomplish getting 2 free cards for a cheaper price.

I like a smaller flop raise with a pot bet on the turn, especially with that ugly turn card that you know didn't help the villian. This line looks more like a small set/aces up, and may get the villian to fold AK/AQ.

Usagi_yo
03-01-2005, 11:48 AM
The button call of A4s isn't bad. The raise on the flop is good. You really need to follow up with a bet on the turn to maintain aggression. At this point, I still want to make it small so that my river bet seems big, so say another $100 bet on the turn. At the river, I can confidently bet the remainder of my stack and know I have a good chance of winning. I'm really only worried about AK, AQ, AJ, while A9 just might decide to fold.

cjmewett
03-01-2005, 12:20 PM
Villain had AQ, fwiw. Just about exactly what you've got to put him on in that situation, and basically the precise reason I was happy to take free cards.

I suppose I should have followed up with aggression; typically this isn't my problem. Particularly when I picked up the gutshot on the turn, I think a pot-sized bet would have been solid, even assuming a call and blank river (in which case I would have to decide, as suggested, whether to check behind, fold to a bet, or push).

Good input from all. This is the very type of thread that keeps my faith in these forums.

EDIT: I should also note that the villain was very confused after all this, which I suppose is a positive and indicates that more aggression might have produced a favorable result.