PDA

View Full Version : suited ace in middle position

buhler26
03-01-2005, 09:42 AM
What do you think about the flop raise? Do you continue betting afterwards?

UTG+1 called and then raised all-in for another half-bet after I raised, which is why the action looks funny on the flop.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Button calls, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (7 SB) J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 5/images/graemlins/club.gif, T/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(7 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds, UTG calls, UTG+2 calls, Hero calls, UTG calls.

Turn: (8.30 BB) 4/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
UTG checks, UTG+2 checks, Hero checks.

River: (8.30 BB) 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
UTG checks, UTG+2 checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: 8.30 BB

mr pink
03-01-2005, 09:44 AM
what were you trying to accomplish by raising?

spydog
03-01-2005, 09:45 AM
I just call the flop and fold the turn unimproved. There are too many callers between you and the flop bettor. If he's on my immediately right then I would raise this flop.

chief444
03-01-2005, 09:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Position, free card? Looks OK to me.

spydog
03-01-2005, 09:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Position, free card? Looks OK to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? Because it's 10SBs when it gets to Hero and there is little chance of being 3-bet?

I think I still like calling this.

QTip
03-01-2005, 09:57 AM
Not my favorite thing here either...although, he did buy the button and even a free showdown. To me, it looks like he just scared a Jack with a bad kicker.

chief444
03-01-2005, 10:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Why? Because it's 10SBs when it gets to Hero and there is little chance of being 3-bet?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah. Plus he has backdoor straight and flush draws to go with bottom pair overcard kicker. And note that this is 1/2 where the free card play probably works more often than we're used to seeing. Should be in the micro forum BTW.

buhler26
03-01-2005, 10:06 AM
You're kinda right. I scared off a KJ, a KT, and the all-in guy had KQ. So I ended up in pretty bad shape.

QTip
03-01-2005, 10:07 AM
That's the line I like.

QTip
03-01-2005, 10:09 AM
I think sometimes we find ourselves in a raise/fold mentality. "If I'm going to play, I'm going to raise". However, there are many times when we should just call...probably this one. I catch myself in this thinking every now and then, and have to calm a little.

What's your AF?

QTip
03-01-2005, 10:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Should be in the micro forum BTW.

[/ QUOTE ]

Guess so...this is only his 46th post, so he probably isn't aware that this forum is for 2/4 and up.

buhler26
03-01-2005, 10:12 AM
Forgive my "newbie"ness. What's AF?

buhler26
03-01-2005, 10:13 AM
I realized it, I just forgot, because this is the forum i browse most often. Sorry about that guys.

QTip
03-01-2005, 10:25 AM
Your aggression factor...specifically postflop aggression.

belloc
03-01-2005, 10:30 AM
I think you have to ask yourself why you're raising here. Is it for value? Probably not. Is it to protect your hand? Probably, but I'm not sure that will usually be effective here. However, in your case it seemed to have folded out several opponents.

Without knowing this, I'd probably call the flop, and if the turn was a 5 or A I'd raise, and if it was a diamond I'd either raise or call depending on where the bet came from.

That said, since your flop raise did well to thin the field, you might consider a turn bet after two checks here. Your hand looks better with that undercard, and a bet might get a hand like QT to fold.

buhler26
03-01-2005, 10:35 AM
I know this is blasphemous, but I actually don't have PokerTracker. I will be purchasing soon however.

QTip
03-01-2005, 10:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
you might consider a turn bet after two checks here. Your hand looks better with that undercard, and a bet might get a hand like QT to fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is very player dependent. You really need to have a read on your opponent to bet this turn. Being SS without a read, I think your best to take a free card. If you know your up against a type opponent capable of laying down something like QJ, AT, etc, I think a bet has merit. Otherwise, you're just going to get called down more often than not.

chief444
03-01-2005, 10:38 AM
It has a free 1000 hand trial, in case you weren't aware. Then you can purchase it (I think it's $55 now) anytime and just plug in the registration code they send you.

QTip
sinner

QTip
I waited for way too long to make the purchase...get it done.

belloc
03-01-2005, 10:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
you might consider a turn bet after two checks here. Your hand looks better with that undercard, and a bet might get a hand like QT to fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is very player dependent.

[/ QUOTE ]

True dat. "You might consider..."

Fat Nicky
03-01-2005, 10:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
you might consider a turn bet after two checks here.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think betting the turn kind of kills some of the value of raising on the flop by passing up the chance on a free card.

chief444
03-01-2005, 11:13 AM
Yeah, the only reason I didn't mind the flop raise here was because it got the free card.

lmbree
03-01-2005, 11:29 AM
I think the line is pretty good. He got a free card, that didn't help. I would bet this river after the turn was checked through against 2 players. Is that a mistake?

Fat Nicky
03-01-2005, 11:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I would bet this river after the turn was checked through against 2 players. Is that a mistake?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see much value in a bet here, you're better off taking a free showdown.

QTip
03-01-2005, 11:33 AM
I'm interested in thoughts on that as well. I think I'm just checking through, though. Worse hands are folding and better hands are probably calling...not much value in betting I don't think.

lmbree
03-01-2005, 11:41 AM
You are right. I don't think there is value in betting the river, but I am sure I would do it. Now I need to ask myself, why? I think I'm allergic to checking down 2 streets when I have the button (a leak I'm sure).

QTip
03-01-2005, 11:42 AM
I used to be the same way...I think I'm starting to develop more discretion, especially valuable on these larger streets.

Fat Nicky
03-01-2005, 11:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think I'm allergic to checking down 2 streets when I have the button (a leak I'm sure).

[/ QUOTE ]

There is nothing to be ashamed of in checked down 2nd to bottom pair 2 streets in a row. Be grateful you got to showdown for free.

chief444
03-01-2005, 11:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I would bet this river after the turn was checked through against 2 players. Is that a mistake?

[/ QUOTE ]
It would make me wish I bet the turn, but not make me bet the river. I don't think you're ahead 50% of the time you get called.

lmbree
03-01-2005, 11:53 AM
I agree with you guys. I need to stop doing this. And yes, I would really wish I bet the turn. I always feel a little on edge about taking my free card or pushing the turn unimproved on my draws. I really need to work on this part of my game.

QTip
03-01-2005, 11:56 AM
It might help to reread the riverplay section of SSHE. Betting a marginal hand here would be good, but a poor hand..there's not much to bet about.

aas
03-01-2005, 12:07 PM
I think raising and calling are both +EV. In this situation, since you don't really need to clear your A outs (you'll have two pair), I would call.

Raising is still ok, for the reasons already stated by others: Free card, buying the button.

belloc
03-01-2005, 12:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, the only reason I didn't mind the flop raise here was because it got the free card.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here are the two reasons I bet this turn instead of taking the free card:

1. The turn card is an undercard to our pair. Sure, we only have bottom pair, but a turn bet might convince QT or similar that we really have that J. Or it might convince a passive 66-99 that we have the T or J. If that turn is anything bigger than our 5, I most certainly take the free card.

2. If we check the turn, one or the other player will bet the river a good percentage of the time (read-dependent of course). I think I'd rather see the showdown for one bet than to chance not seeing it, especially (from #1) if we can see it against one opponent instead of two.

Is the concern that our pair is small? If so, what if you have AT and you're faced with the same turn decision. Do you bet that?

What if we're faced with the same action up to the turn and the board is 5 6 J and we still have A5? Take the free card? What if we have A6 instead? What is your threshold hand for not taking the free card here and why (all other things being equal)?

QTip
03-01-2005, 12:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Is the concern that our pair is small? If so, what if you have AT and you're faced with the same turn decision. Do you bet that?

[/ QUOTE ]

There's a huge difference here between bottom pair and middle pair on this board. I put one in a poor hand category and one in a marginal hand category. Yes, I bet that turn.

chief444
03-01-2005, 12:31 PM
If I called the flop and the turn checked to me I would bet. I just don't like the flop raise if you plan to bet the turn. I would both raise the flop and bet the turn with AT. I may bet the river as well depending on the opponents.