PDA

View Full Version : Parking Tickets

jason_t
03-01-2005, 06:59 AM
Post deleted by jason_t

Evan
03-01-2005, 07:02 AM
Guys like me call you an idiot on internet forums.

Reef
03-01-2005, 07:09 AM
that bad, huh?

gaming_mouse
03-01-2005, 07:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Guys like me call you an idiot on internet forums.

[/ QUOTE ]

now i'm intrigued

jason_t
03-01-2005, 07:14 AM
I had a question about trying to avoid paying a $75 parking ticket in Los Angeles; it was simple question. But the first reply made it clear this wouldn't be a productive thread so I deleted it to just let it die.

The Dude
03-01-2005, 07:18 AM
I don't know what your post was, since you deleted it, but parking tickets are the work of Satan.

Evan
03-01-2005, 07:27 AM
My answer was actually totally serious. Do you really want to risk getting in legal trouble in the state that you now live over $75? If you do then I think you are an idiot.

jason_t
03-01-2005, 07:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
My answer was actually totally serious. Do you really want to risk getting in legal trouble in the state that you now live over $75? If you do then I think you are an idiot.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wanted to know if anyone knew specifically the severity of not paying a ticket in the situation I described. I've heard of all sorts of goofy methods for avoiding paying parking tickets; I wanted to know if what I said was one, and what the consequences were.

Perhaps it was a naive question; but exploring the possibility of not paying the ticket and making a judgement after I've collected some information about the consequences does not make me an idiot.

gaming_mouse
03-01-2005, 07:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I wanted to know if anyone knew specifically the severity of not paying a ticket in the situation I described. I've heard of all sorts of goofy methods for avoiding paying parking tickets; I wanted to know if what I said was one, and what the consequences were.

Perhaps it was a naive question; but exploring the possibility of not paying the ticket and making a judgement after I've collected some information about the consequences does not make me an idiot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I don't know what method you were thinking of, but you're probly not getting into legal trouble over not paying parking tickets. If you don't pay a whole bunch of them, they'll boot your car, but that's about it. I've had my running tally surpass $500 a number of times....

Not paying parking tickets is fun.

jason_t
03-01-2005, 08:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Well, I don't know what method you were thinking of, but you're probly not getting into legal trouble over not paying parking tickets. If you don't pay a whole bunch of them, they'll boot your car, but that's about it. I've had my running tally surpass $500 a number of times....

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's the situation. I have NY license plates on my car. I moved to California last autumn, and I am getting CA license plates next week. Today I got a parking ticket in LA on the NY plates. I'm thinking if I just don't pay the ticket, it will disappear. I wanted to know if anyone actually knew the consequences.

gaming_mouse
03-01-2005, 08:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Here's the situation. I have NY license plates on my car. I moved to California last autumn, and I am getting CA license plates next week. Today I got a parking ticket in LA on the NY plates. I'm thinking if I just don't pay the ticket, it will disappear. I wanted to know if anyone actually knew the consequences.

[/ QUOTE ]

Might be worth a shot.

If it doesn't disappear, the amount due will go up, first about double, then triple I think... something like that.

If you still don't pay it, they will boot your car. You can't get into trouble besides that.

It's a gamble, but there's definitely a chance you get away with it.

The Dude
03-01-2005, 08:12 AM
Hi jason,

I had several parking tickets in CA that went unpaid for almost a year. When I received my license renewal, they were on there for me to pay.

Since you have to submit the old out-of-state license information to get new ones here in CA, you'll get the bill with that.

There is no serious consequence to letting your parking tickets pile up until license renewal - it just costs more since they tack on penalties.

The Dude
03-01-2005, 08:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If you still don't pay it, they will boot your car.

[/ QUOTE ]
I got about 15 parking tickets last year (here in CA), and several of them I lost and never paid. The fine for my parking violations never went up, and they never booted my car.

jason_t
03-01-2005, 08:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Hi jason,

I had several parking tickets in CA that went unpaid for almost a year. When I received my license renewal, they were on there for me to pay.

Since you have to submit the old out-of-state license information to get new ones here in CA, you'll get the bill with that.

There is no serious consequence to letting your parking tickets pile up until license renewal - it just costs more since they tack on penalties.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey. Thank you for replying. Are you talking about driver license renewal or license plate renewal? I already have a CA drivers license.

jason_t
03-01-2005, 08:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]

If you still don't pay it, they will boot your car. You can't get into trouble besides that.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Simpsons episode where they are in NY and the car gets booted is classic.

Thanks for writing; I'm glad to hear that other than potential financial strains, there aren't severe consequences.

03-01-2005, 11:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I have been in this circumstance. Totally bogus parking ticket in NY, as we are loading the car to move to NJ. Never paid it, got new NJ plates. They found my new address, and to this day -- 6 years later -- they send me a statement telling me that I owe $70: $20 for the ticket and late fees capped at $50. I throw them in the trash. That's the extent of the enforcement. What are they going to do to me? I don't even have the car any more.

Believe me, there are many, many people, particularly in a city the size of LA, that have unpaid parking tickets. They are not going to come after you real hard for a single ticket. Start running them up, though ...

peachy
03-01-2005, 02:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

it wont disappear, they do have a record that the tag belonged to u...and it will find u wether u know it or not. 2 years from now u might get pulled over and then they haul u to jail because there is a bench warrent for ur arrest over a $10-$20 parking ticket, then u get to sit in the jail, pay more fines, plus ur original one - thats the way it is here at least - so ummmm pay the parking ticket.

States live for this lil income and just b/c it seems small to u 923094392042093490230 people get these so then the state gets $2934923094209342309490290 so yes....they will find out WHO u r and put it on ur record

peachy
03-01-2005, 02:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hi jason,

[/ QUOTE ]

Not here, they put out a bench warrant after 3 to 6 months, they send u a few notices 1st, and these r on $10 tickets, so I would just pay it before u lose the ticket slip and then have to drive all over creation or call 9239423092 #s to find out where to send what

Patrick del Poker Grande
03-01-2005, 03:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
This is not a problem (http://www.hackaday.com/entry/1234000827033236/).

AngryCola
03-01-2005, 03:17 PM
It's funny how you deleted your OP, but this thread still has 18 replies + my own.

You shouldn't have deleted it!

jason_t
03-01-2005, 03:22 PM
After Evan's reply, I just wanted to get rid of the whole thread. I assumed that is what "delete" would do; now I know.

Michael Davis
03-01-2005, 03:26 PM
Whenever I get parking tickets in L.A., which happens about every week because I am a badass, the fines go up real fast and you can't renew your license. You should seriously consider just paying it.

I've never had more than two on my record at once and they have referred them to a collection agency within months. FWIW, I have near perfect credit so it's not because I'm a likely problem case or anything.

-Michael

sthief09
03-01-2005, 03:31 PM
yeah, Evan is a real dick! let's turn this into an Evan bashing thread!

I'll start:
he's short!

AngryCola
03-01-2005, 03:33 PM
Did you just now change your avatar?

That's hilarious.
I hope it can stay.

jason_t
03-01-2005, 03:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
yeah, Evan is a real dick! let's turn this into an Evan bashing thread!

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't think that at all; I just thought it would lead to an unproductive thread.

[ QUOTE ]
I'll start:
he's short!

[/ QUOTE ]

Ha. Think of all the things "correlated" to height. Poor guy.

Edit: Awesome avatar.

gaming_mouse
03-01-2005, 04:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I got about 15 parking tickets last year (here in CA), and several of them I lost and never paid. The fine for my parking violations never went up, and they never booted my car.

[/ QUOTE ]

15? Dude, you are still wet behind the ears. I've done that many in a single week. Btw, eventually, they will boot your car. And usually fines do go up. I don't why yours didn't.