PDA

View Full Version : Pushups

theBruiser500
03-01-2005, 05:43 AM
Is pushups one word or two? Anyway, how many pushups can you guys do? I'm weak but I can do 30+ pushups of the tough kind where I keep my arms close to my side. My kung fu teacher said doing them that way makes punches stronger but I guess arms out to the side is for the chest. I also like the pushups where one hand is on top of the other under my sternum. Also pushups where I do them with my fists and then push up and jump off the ground and switch to palms and then repeat those are cool.

How about 1 handed pushups, how many can you guys do? I used to be able to do a few but now I can't do any. I'm not even sure what the right way to do one handed pushups are anyawy I've heard people say a couple ways to do them. They are tough. Pushups in hand stands are really tough too.

Sit ups I'm really good at, I normally do 130 pushups of differnt kinds but can do more! I will tell you guys the secret of my pushups and why they work well. In some sit ups I turn to the side when I rise that is good and also I don't know how to de scirbe it but situps where I'm laying on my side and just lift my head and upper body up and look behind me those are good too. Sit ups where you keep your legs in the air are good for your lower back and tough.

Reef
03-01-2005, 05:46 AM
pushups are my specialty

75-80 1 minute
105-110 2 minute
15-18 1 arm

edit: my favorite pushup excercise: Do X pushups in the first X seconds of each minute consecutively for, say, 10 minutes. I'm almost setting X to 35.

theBruiser500
03-01-2005, 05:49 AM
That's really good, I hope they aren't the wussy pushups where you don't even go all the way down. I don't think that's the case with you though, you sound like a professional.

[censored]
03-01-2005, 05:50 AM
Im probably down to 45 in 2 minutes from when I was in the Army and could do like 60-65.

Macdaddy Warsaw
03-01-2005, 05:52 AM
A completely useless post as I haven't done pushups in a long time. Wait...

I found a floor (OMG!!1) and I did 30 with my hands about shoulderwidth apart. I think I can do a pretty good handstand pushup since I actually tried for a while hoping to eventually do a one-handed handstand pushup. Maybe I'll get back on that.

Also, I just tried a one-armed pushup and no dice. I can get a little down and then I start to lose my balance and/or lose my ability to hold myself up.

Reef
[ QUOTE ]
That's really good, I hope they aren't the wussy pushups where you don't even go all the way down. I don't think that's the case with you though, you sound like a professional.

[/ QUOTE ]

no, I hate wussy pushups. I make a point to lockout. Sometimes I get lazy and my back bends a little, but I quickly correct.

I use to bboy pretty intensely. Pushups were incredibly important to being able to pull power moves like turtles, crickets, and poses.

theBruiser500
I met an Israeli girl, she said she could do 30 after 2 years in the army I was pretty surprised by that. She was fit too.

Skjonne
03-01-2005, 05:53 AM

...of the "wussy" ones

theBruiser500
03-01-2005, 05:53 AM
What's bboy?

Reef
03-01-2005, 05:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Also, I just tried a one-armed pushup and no dice. I can get a little down and then I start to lose my balance and/or lose my ability to hold myself up.

[/ QUOTE ]

spread your legs further apart. Use the non-pushing arm to "push" against the back of your quad while keeping your back straight.

Reef
03-01-2005, 05:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
What's bboy?

[/ QUOTE ]

breakdance

elbow pose (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v326/reef/elbowpose.jpg)

Reef
03-01-2005, 06:00 AM
This guy is nuts (webpage) (http://www.recordholders.org/en/records/doyle.html)

seriously (video) (http://www.recordholders.org/video/pushups-back.avi)

BreakEvenPlayer
03-01-2005, 07:01 AM
Cock pushups?

nicky g
03-01-2005, 08:15 AM
"My kung fu teacher said doing them that way makes punches stronger but I guess arms out to the side is for the chest."

What I've been told (far from an expert): In terms of MA, the best thing push-ups do is build your endurance. Beyond a certain point they won't do that much for punching power (obviously yhey'll help some, but are quite inefficient ways to do it). For that, you need to start working with weights etc.

jakethebake
03-01-2005, 10:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Is pushups one word or two? Anyway, how many pushups can you guys do? I'm weak but I can do 30+ pushups of the tough kind where I keep my arms close to my side.

[/ QUOTE ]

For some reason I always found those easier. I can't tell you why. When I was in the Marines I used to do them in sets of a hundred. Try divebomber pushups. (http://www.trainforstrength.com/ex-1.shtml)

Shajen
03-01-2005, 10:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
My kung fu teacher said doing them that way makes punches stronger but I guess arms out to the side is for the chest.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are looking for overall improvement in your chest, shoulders and triceps, do three types of pushups:

1) diamond pushups, with your hands very close together under your chest, in a diamond pattern. Do 3 sets of 10.

2) hands shoulder width a part. 3 x 10.

3) arms wide apart. These work the inside of your pecs better than any other exercise you can do without weights. 3 x 10. You'll be feeling it the next day. Work your way up to 30 or so of each and you'll notice a remarkable difference.

Btw, for punching strength, I'd recommend military presses and dips.

GL

rusellmj
03-01-2005, 11:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Try divebomber pushups. (http://www.trainforstrength.com/ex-1.shtml)

[/ QUOTE ]

You get more benefit out of those. If you really want to develope your upper body though start doing chinups. Sets of chinups with hands forward, backward like curls, and behind your neck will do more for you than a zillion push ups.

Russ

Rick Diesel
03-01-2005, 02:20 PM
You mean the orange sherbet-type treats that you keep in the freezer? I could eat at least 15 of those in less than 5 minutes.

M2d
03-01-2005, 02:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Btw, for punching strength, I'd recommend military presses and dips.

[/ QUOTE ]
Do squats and trunk rotation excercises. You can't shoot a cannon out of a canoe.

daryn
03-01-2005, 04:04 PM
i can do about 15 before i collapse. that is pretty good considering how much i weigh.

Redmen62
03-01-2005, 04:12 PM
I rattled off 20 after reading Bruiser's post, and I bet I have close to a bill on you. My bench has never been stellar, due to some physiological quirks, but pushups have been more my forte. A couple of years ago, when I was trying to get back in shape from a long layoff, and didn't want to go to the gym until I wouldn't embarass myself, I did the most pushups I could without really straining, then made myself do 1 more than that each sucessive day.

daryn
03-01-2005, 04:13 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />
I rattled off 20 after reading Bruiser's post, and I bet I have close to a bill on you. My bench has never been stellar, due to some physiological quirks, but pushups have been more my forte. A couple of years ago, when I was trying to get back in shape from a long layoff, and didn't want to go to the gym until I wouldn't embarass myself, I did the most pushups I could without really straining, then made myself do 1 more than that each sucessive day.

[/ QUOTE ]

close to a bill on me? hahahahhaha

BeerMoney
03-01-2005, 04:44 PM
Push Ups are an excellent excellent exercise. I don't work out too often, but if I do push ups about 3 times in the course of two weeks, I will be able to bench 225 ten times without any problem.

I used to be able to do 70 without stopping. My form is near perfect.

The only exercise that I consider as good as push ups as far as strength building is the pull up. I suck at these, but try to work on them. I consider a physically fit person can do ten pullups and 50 pushups.

jakethebake
03-01-2005, 04:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I consider a physically fit person can do ten pullups and 50 pushups.

[/ QUOTE ]
10 is pretty easy. In my boot camp platoon there wasn't anyone that couldn't do 20. I can still do 20. I only know that because my wife and I were walking in the park last week and I saw a pull-up bar. I hadn't done them in at least a couple of years. I guess the cleans and deadlifts i do help.

BeerMoney
03-01-2005, 05:54 PM
The average person can't do 4 pull ups. And when everyone in your platoon was doing 20 pullups, I am going to have to assume they were kipping. There's a big difference in doing a mans pull up where you drop all the way down, and wiggling your body to get over the bar. The people in your platoon were probably 18-21 years old and in the best shape of their lives. Also, people like myself with big legs are at a disadvantage with such an exercise as we are lifting more lower body weight.

If the average american could do 10 pullups do you think everyone would be so fat.

Shajen
03-01-2005, 05:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]

The average person can't do 4 pull ups. And when everyone in your platoon was doing 20 pullups, I am going to have to assume they were kipping. There's a big difference in doing a mans pull up where you drop all the way down, and wiggling your body to get over the bar. The people in your platoon were probably 18-21 years old and in the best shape of their lives. Also, people like myself with big legs are at a disadvantage with such an exercise as we are lifting more lower body weight.

If the average american could do 10 pullups do you think everyone would be so fat.

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe you would see a marked increase in the number of people who could do 10 pullups if you strapped a donut to the top of the bar.

My record for non-kipping pullups was 56. I could have gone for maybe 2 or 3 more, but I regripped and screwed myself. At the time I weighed about 170lbs.

The funny thing was I had rock solid abs, but situps PWNED me. Skinny people have a harder time doing situps IMO.

jakethebake
03-01-2005, 06:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I believe you would see a marked increase in the number of people who could do 10 pullups if you strapped a donut to the top of the bar.

My record for non-kipping pullups was 56. I could have gone for maybe 2 or 3 more, but I regripped and screwed myself. At the time I weighed about 170lbs.

The funny thing was I had rock solid abs, but situps PWNED me. Skinny people have a harder time doing situps IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

I ran the MCRD Ironman out in San Diego. It was a weekend, multi-event type deal with a swim, bike, run but also included the obstacle course, a couple of parts of the confidence course, pull-ups, sit-ups, and the run was with a pack with a sandbag in it. The 40 pull-ups right after the 800 meter swim. I was one of only a couple of guys that did them without dropping (yea, you didn't have to do them all at once, but it was a timed event). Unfortunately, my bike time screwed me since I had borrowed "The Lead Sled" from a friend, which was this horrible Schwinn bike like you'd buy some kid in middle school.

Shajen
03-01-2005, 06:08 PM
One thing I'm pretty proud of is I never got less than a 300 on the PFT. I was a running fool. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

16:05 was my best 3 mile time. Situps were always a bitch for me though. Barely got 80 everytime.

jakethebake
03-01-2005, 06:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
One thing I'm pretty proud of is I never got less than a 300 on the PFT. I was a running fool. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

16:05 was my best 3 mile time. Situps were always a bitch for me though. Barely got 80 everytime.

[/ QUOTE ]

Damn! You were fast! The run always ruined me. I could run all day. I ran a 77 minute 10 miles once but never could get the 18.

Shajen
03-01-2005, 06:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Damn! You were fast! The run always ruined me. I could run all day. I ran a 77 minute 10 miles once but never could get the 18.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, I could run for distance too. My knees are wrecked and I'm a fat bastard now, but the road from Camp Wilson to Mainside in 29 Palms is a little over 9 miles. I did it in 56 minutes and change. At the time we were running formation runs for 6-7 miles 6 days a week, for 3 months straight. We were in shape.

It's pathetic how in shape I used to be compared to now. Thank you, IT field and laziness. /images/graemlins/blush.gif

theBruiser500
03-01-2005, 09:41 PM
whats a chin up

antidan444
03-01-2005, 09:48 PM
To answer the original question ...

push-ups (noun, adjective)
push up (verb)

I'm not saying how many (read: how few) I can do, it's pathetic.

bholdr
03-01-2005, 09:58 PM
I used to be able to bust out 40 or so in a minute. I was always in good shape, and towards the end of high school i was working as a housepainter and training wor surfing and skiing.

Man... i've gotten really soft. i just tried to do some pullups and only got ten. /images/graemlins/mad.gif I could -no [censored]- hit 50 in HS. i can still get 50 pushups out, but it's not easy like i remember. damn i'm a pussy these days.

here's a fun one, try to stand on one leg, lower yourself till your ass touches the floor, and then stand back up- one leg. i've had many strong freinds that could never do this. after i blew my knee out and was rehabbing it for months, i could do it on either leg holding 50lbs in each hand- and i'm a little guy, too, i weighed about 145 at the time.

Reef
03-01-2005, 10:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
whats a chin up

[/ QUOTE ]

a pullup?

Reef
03-01-2005, 10:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Man... i've gotten really soft. i just tried to do some pullups and only got ten. /images/graemlins/mad.gif I could -no [censored]- hit 50 in HS.

[/ QUOTE ]

I could only do 25ish. You win.

[ QUOTE ]
i can still get 50 pushups out, but it's not easy like i remember. damn i'm a pussy these days.

[/ QUOTE ]

I win

[ QUOTE ]
here's a fun one, try to stand on one leg, lower yourself till your ass touches the floor, and then stand back up- one leg. i've had many strong freinds that could never do this. after i blew my knee out and was rehabbing it for months, i could do it on either leg holding 50lbs in each hand- and i'm a little guy, too, i weighed about 145 at the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

no weights, no problem. Haven't tried with weights, you probably win.

So.. what was your mile time? bench?

mike l.
03-02-2005, 12:40 AM
dont take this the wrong way but your post made me hot and id like to see what you look like naked.

deacsoft
03-02-2005, 01:04 AM
Back in the college days I could do quite a few. Some friends and I always threw the frisbee when it was nice outside. Sometimes it sucked when people that weren't very good would throw with us. So, we implemented a push-up rule. Every time you either threw one that another that someone else couldn't catch (like too far away) or dropped one that you should have caught you had to do ten push-ups before you could get back into the game. It didn't take very long until we all became frisbee masters. Man, that was a lot of fun.

astroglide
03-02-2005, 12:56 PM
you're very welcome here mike

Lazymeatball
03-02-2005, 01:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
dont take this the wrong way but your post made me hot and id like to see what you look like naked.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.christide.com/bahamas/9.JPG

Dominic
03-02-2005, 03:42 PM
I can do 45....if I really push it....40's usually my max though