PDA

View Full Version : Calling All-Ins, a few situations

kamjah
03-01-2005, 04:17 AM
1. Im curious as to how other 2+2ers handle this situation. Lets say stacks are average. At a .5/1 table, Hero has lets say $80, and villain has $60. Villain is known to be a pretty solid player. Hero is dealt KK. Villain acts first, raises to 4, hero re-raises to 14, Villain pushes. Are we calling this every single time?

2. Same thing but dealt QQ, are we calling this everytime as well?

3. To a solid player, are we better off folding JJ and below?

Thanks in advance for any input

joewatch
03-01-2005, 04:53 AM
1. No
2. No
3. Yes

But I'm pretty tight. I'm sure you will here lots of yes' for #1. In my book, a re-reraise from a solid player is 99.9% AA.

fimbulwinter
03-01-2005, 05:44 AM
though this is a valid question, it is really unanswerable. these points are completely read-depandent; there are som players against whome i have no problem calling all-in holding JJ and there are some who could make me muck KK with no second thought.

in an effort to contribute something meaningful, here are some (admittedly) stereotypes I use in live play when faced wit such a decision before being able to establish reads:

- players wearing university sweatshirts and no jewelry:
often have something stronger than that which they are representing, so i fold if played back at. (and call often PF with AA as they're very likely raising brutally dominated hands and not creative/steal hands)

- players who are older, of foreign origin (not non-white, but really a recent immigrant with accent) and not in good physical shape I'll call every time holding a solid pair.

- any player sporting jewelry which is intended to demonstrate wealth (hint: look at bezel of watch for modification/addition of precious stones) gets called

- on the contrary, a player wearing extremely expensive, but non flashy accessories (like a patek phillipe or brietling (sp?) watch or black pearl cufflinks) in general is very solid and has good values for the money he is betting. hence i'll often lay down.

- obviously a player who has shown any sort of awareness for the game, be it betting a draw or checkraising for the right reason gets more creedence in their thrid preflop raise.

- one of my favories is the following: think back over the last 3 hands you've played. if you've won all three without showdown, you call with a good PP every time. if you've lost all three at showdown, then you fold.

no guarantees on the above and no apologies,

fim

joewatch
03-01-2005, 05:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
- on the contrary, a player wearing extremely expensive, but non flashy accessories (like a patek phillipe or brietling (sp?) watch or black pearl cufflinks) in general is very solid and has good values for the money he is betting. hence i'll often lay down.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a very keen observation. Question is, how many of you would recognize a Patek, Breitling, Rolex, or JLC without looking closely?
/images/graemlins/wink.gif

fimbulwinter
03-01-2005, 06:02 AM
I could spot a patek a mile away. I've loved those watches since i was 15. tell me this isnt the greatest watch you've ever seen (forget the band):
http://www.tourneau.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/calatrava_sm.jpg
one day, many, many BB's from now...

fim