PDA

View Full Version : $6 vs. $11 SNGs

wiggs73
03-01-2005, 02:31 AM
This doesn't apply to me since I don't play at Party, but I often see posters advise beginners to move out of the $6 SNGs at party as soon as possible and into the $11s. However, I'm not sure I understand why. Either way, you are paying $1 vig., but paying twice the buy-in at the $11s. It seems to me that the best way for a true beginner with a limited bankroll to learn SNGs would be to start at the $6s because:

1) overall tourney cost is almost half at the 6s.
2) the competition is slightly worse at the 6s, i.e. easier to beat.

I'll trust the more experienced posters here and assume that my thinking is flawed, but maybe someone could explain why for me and for the beginners who may be approaching this subject the same as I am.

Apathy
03-01-2005, 02:41 AM
11 sngs have 10% rake 6 sngs have 20% rake, simple.

Slim Pickens
03-01-2005, 03:20 AM
The more experienced posters who advocate the 11's over the 6's for the decreased rake fraction assume all players are thinking from the perspective of long-term money-winning players: How do I maximize my monetary winning given that it is a positive quantity. I think the answer is simple, but has two parts.

1) If you believe your game is in such a state where you can beat the 6's for a positive ROI, no matter how small, play the 11's.

2) If believe your game is not such that you can beat the 11's for a positive ROI, you should play the 6's to minimize your total investment in learning and/or fun.

2') For those very few who may fall in the middle, do whatever you want.

Slim