PDA

View Full Version : John Chaney

J_V
03-01-2005, 01:30 AM
For those of you that missed it, John Chaney, coach of Temple University, has been suspended for ordering a player to take a "hard foul." He believed the referees were calling an unfair game against St. Josephs for the second time that season and ordered his players to turn it up an notch. A player broke his arm in that game. It was more of a freak accident than the hard foul that did it, however.

Ummmm...what coach hasn't ordered his players to take a hard foul? This is not crossing the line. You think Pat Riley got suspended when the knicks kept clubbing Pippen and Jordan or what about Chuck Daly? Did Daly get suspended for letting Laimbeer bury every guy that went through the lane?

This is a travesty. As a player, I've been told to foul a kid hard if he had an easy look before too, and that was in freaking 8th GRADE. It's part of the game.

As a side note, this reminded me of funny 7yr old pee-wee baseball story, where my coach told the pitcher (his son)to throw at this kid crowding the plate. I believe his exact words were "Aim for his head." So, the kid zung four pitches at his head. Of course, coming at the ten miles an hour, the kid dodged all four. Throwing at a batter in baseball (we could at least wait till they're ten /images/graemlins/smile.gif) is about the same as a hard foul in basketball - so what's the problem?

JV

Boris
03-01-2005, 01:37 AM
Yea I agree with you. I watched all the fouls on ESPN and none of them would make Laimbeer even blink.

pshreck
03-01-2005, 01:40 AM
The weirdest part is that Chaneys downfall is that he admitted to doing it and is taking full responsibility. He already suspended himself from the conference tourney. Dan Patrick seems to think it will end up in a forced resignation, mostly from the fact that his team isnt really all that competitive any more. I think he will never coach another game.

DesertCat
03-01-2005, 01:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
For those of you that missed it, John Chaney, coach of Temple University, has been suspended for ordering a player to take a "hard foul." He believed the referees were calling an unfair game against St. Josephs for the second time that season and ordered his players to turn it up an notch.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are totally mischaracterizing what happened. He didn't order his players to "turn it up a notch". He sent in a thug from deep on his bench to "hard foul" everyone on the team. The guy fouled out in a couple minutes, after breaking an opponents arm.

This is the same guy who constantly preaches self discipline and suspended his own players for not wearing caps on the team bus!

Now, this is something that may happen every day in pee wee sports, but when it's done publically in an NCAA game, something needs to be done. In this case, it would not be fair for St. Joes coaches and players to have to face this lunatic in the tournament in their conference tourney.

Add in the fact that this lovable nutcase is 73 years old, and yes, forcible retirement seems reasonable. And I love John Chaney. But his time is up.

Ulysses
03-01-2005, 03:16 AM
"Sweep the leg."

MrOnizuka
03-01-2005, 04:36 AM
"...Sensei???"

cue- "you're the best A-ROUND"

Natty Ice is nasty,

that is all

Clarkmeister
03-01-2005, 04:47 AM
Taken in isolation, I agree with you.

But Chaney has a long and consistent track record of anger management issues. He has gone into the stands, he has attacked and threatened other coaches. Now this. He deserves at a minimum to lose any remaining commpensation for the year.

Daliman
03-01-2005, 07:07 AM
"GET HIM A BODY BAG, MAN!"