PDA

View Full Version : Top Set Situation (Cross Post From Small Stakes)

radioheadfan
03-01-2005, 12:52 AM
1/2 Live NL Game
Relevant villian (frat-boy) in hand has $300 to start the hand. I have him covered. No read on villian as he got to the table about 5 hands ago. But he looks like a frat boy. Obviously, he has no read on me either.

I pick up T /images/graemlins/heart.gif T /images/graemlins/spade.gif in the BB. All but two players limp in, the SB completes, and I check and we all see a $2 flop. Anyone raise a field of limpers this large with TT?

Flop comes:

T /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 5 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 6 /images/graemlins/club.gif

SB checks. I check with the intent of throwing in a large check-raise. We can discuss the virtues of going for a c/r or leading out into a field this large.

It gets checked to frat boy who bets $15 into a pot of roughly that size. Loose woman on the button calls, SB folds and the action is on me. I raise it to $75 straight for a pot-sized raise. Frat boy thinks for a little and calls the $60 more. Loose woman folds.

Heads up to a turn of:

Q /images/graemlins/diamond.gif.

There is $180 in the pot and we each have about $220 behind. What's the plan for the rest of the hand?

AZK
03-01-2005, 01:23 AM
Check, call a small bet. Fill up on River. If you don't fill up, check/call based on your read of whether or not he made his hand.

Blackjack
03-01-2005, 01:24 AM
I can't see any sane player calling that raise with just a flush draw. I'd get the rest of my chips in - knowing that you still have a great chance of winning if he does call with the flush.

Blackjack

DrPublo
03-01-2005, 01:44 AM
Bet the flop.

The Doc

mgsimpleton
03-01-2005, 03:49 AM
only thing i don't like about the turn check call plan is he might very well check behind, giving a free river - and another diamond might kill your hand.

c'mon this is a live game - get a read on him. is frat boy tricky enough to bet flop w/ a flush draw and then also stupid enough to call with just that for another 60 bucks?

anyway i would bet 1/3 of the pot here generally - let him put me all in w/ the scare card or something... or else he will fold. actually i'm not quite sure of how much to bet, bu ti would definitely bet. look forward to getting your stack in here.

Mad Genius1
03-01-2005, 04:20 AM
This is one of the times I wouldn't lead into pot with a bet. With this many players you might get that snowball effect where the first guy calls and everyone calls after that with great odds to draw to their flush, straight, etc. The only way to prevent this is to make a huge 2x pot-sized bet but then you risk only winning $15. With this many players someone will probably bet and then you can go for the large raise. No way they would put you on TT.

As far as the turn, I would bet $100 and call an all-in reraise. If you check he could bet whether or not he has the flush but you won't know, and then you could be in a tough situation on the river. I don't really see a way to find out if he has a flush or not without totally committing yourself, so in a hand like this all my money is pretty much going in.

kagame
03-01-2005, 04:45 AM
flush draw plus some decent overs (or with a straight draw) he might call that much more, and be correct in doing so a large portion of the time

although playing his draw on the turn will be problematic...

radioheadfan
03-01-2005, 02:54 PM
With the flop the way it was, frat boy could have easily called with 78 for the OESD, or with naked diamonds for the flush draw. I sorta ruled out that he has a hand like AT, since I have the deck crippled in T's, although I suppose AT is a possible holding for him.

Given that I don't know if he was on the straight or flush draw, I like the suggestions to bet out on the order of $100. That way I'm priced in to call if he moves me in and has the flush. Also, letting a 4th diamond slip off the deck for free is just disgusting....agreed. And by the way, betting a flush draw from late position is by no means a "tricky" play...I've seen it executed by very bad players, so yes, frat boy could have done this. And yes, he was probably stupid enough to call $60 more with the draw.

As for the "live read" I looked over at frat boy when the 3rd diamond hit and he just sat there with his sunglasses on motionless. There was no read at all to be made.

So we agree that there's no way to get away from frat boy's flush if he has it?

Gargoyle
03-01-2005, 03:10 PM
I totally agree that I would play this by betting out on the turn, probably between $75-$100, however, what is the plan if he flat calls and we don't fill on the river? What if the river is a 4th diamond?

radioheadfan
03-01-2005, 04:04 PM
If flat called, and the river is a complete blank, I'm check-calling any bet. If the river is the 4th diamond, life sucks, check and maybe call depending on read/feeling. Might have to let it go with the 4th diamond, although its only costing about $100 on the river to see this guy's cards. I might have to call just see the cards and possibly learn something about the player and the way the hand went down.

If the river is a 9 non-diamond, completing the only probable OESD, check and call any bet I think still applies.

If filled-up on the river, clearly it's an easy push for the rest of the chips left.