PDA

View Full Version : Overpair vs. Draws... Critique Me Good!

kamjah
03-01-2005, 12:46 AM
My second hand after sitting down at a 1/2 NL table. Im pretty sure not re-raising preflop was a mistake. But i assumed that the preflop raise would be enough to get marginal hands out of the hand.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 5 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Hero ($98)
BB ($183.3)
UTG ($110.5)
MP ($188.3)
Button ($218.45)

Preflop: Hero is SB with K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif. Hero posts a blind of $1.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls $2, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $7</font>, Hero (poster) calls $6, BB calls $5, MP calls $5.

Flop: ($28) 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero Raises $26.6, BB Raises to $53.2, MP Folds, Button Calls $53.2, Hero is all in [$64.4], BB calls, Button is all in [$158.25], BB is all in [$85.3]

Turn: ($504.75) 7/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>

River: ($504.75) 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>

Final Pot: $504.75
Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
Hero has Ks Kh (one pair, kings).
BB has Ad4d (flush, ace high)
Button has Kd Qd (flush, king high)
Outcome: BB wins $469.6 Button Wins $36.15 (Sidepot) </font>

Im in no way an "good" player, be harsh, be critical.

wegs the wegs
03-01-2005, 01:20 AM
Re-raise preflop. Have to have to have to reraise the flop. Playing against 4 other players when you hold KK is dangerous. Have to have to have to reraise the flop.

Second, betting the pot there was right, not much else you could do. Both A4 and KQ would push there no matter what, it is Party after all.

Tough break on the river but you got you're money in with the best of it.

Just make sure to reraise preflop ok?

kamjah
03-01-2005, 01:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Both A4 and KQ would push there no matter what, it is Party after all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just wondering, but was the BB's play correct? Im pretty sure i wouldnt be re-raising 30 dollars on top of a 20 simply on a draw. Id fold and be happy i didnt call a larger preflop raise with A4 suited.

but yeah, i figured not re-raising was what really hurt me. But im assuming Button would have called my re-raise anyways (who knows maybe BB would have called it as well), and i would have lost to the flush reguardless, as he had TPGK with a K high flush draw to boot. If anything i felt bad that he lost his money as well to A4.... Anyways, lesson learned, re-raise re-raise re-raise. And.... don't tilt. I blew a lot of my roll after that one.... stupid me.

TrailofTears
03-01-2005, 02:20 AM
Besides not re-raising PF, there is nothing to be ashamed of here. You got your money in when ahead and as a favorite, so you played it well. You can't control luck, just your play, and you did almost everything right here. And tilt is a bad thing and so unnecessary it is ridiculous, as you should see this and know you played it well. These types of players are the ones who will make you money in the long run (actually, I don't mind KQs's play at all here.) Keep your cool, keep your chin up, and keep playing your game. It's just one hand in a looooooong series of them.

-Trail

pottie
03-01-2005, 04:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Just wondering, but was the BB's play correct? Im pretty sure i wouldnt be re-raising 30 dollars on top of a 20 simply on a draw. Id fold and be happy i didnt call a larger preflop raise with A4 suited.

[/ QUOTE ]

Also wondering about BB's play. Newbie's opinion not that bad. You didnt reraise preflop so he shouldnt put you on AA,KK. Some folding equity - this raise will get you of calling hands like AK, AQ, JJ, 99. If called he still has the outs. Im not sure with Button still in the hand how this should've influenced his play.

kamjah
03-02-2005, 12:32 AM
anyone any comments on the BB's play? is he making mistakes in calling/re-raising his hand?

LockLow34
03-02-2005, 11:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
My second hand after sitting down at a 1/2 NL table. Im pretty sure not re-raising preflop was a mistake. But i assumed that the preflop raise would be enough to get marginal hands out of the hand.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 5 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Hero ($98)
BB ($183.3)
UTG ($110.5)
MP ($188.3)
Button ($218.45)

Preflop: Hero is SB with K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif. Hero posts a blind of $1.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls $2, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $7</font>, Hero (poster) calls $6, BB calls $5, MP calls $5.

Flop: ($28) 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero Raises $26.6, BB Raises to $53.2, MP Folds, Button Calls $53.2, Hero is all in [$64.4], BB calls, Button is all in [$158.25], BB is all in [$85.3]

Turn: ($504.75) 7/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>

River: ($504.75) 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>

Final Pot: $504.75
Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
Hero has Ks Kh (one pair, kings).
BB has Ad4d (flush, ace high)
Button has Kd Qd (flush, king high)
Outcome: BB wins $469.6 Button Wins $36.15 (Sidepot) </font>

Im in no way an "good" player, be harsh, be critical.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fold.

Your mistake was not re-raising preflop and isolating a single player. Heads up I'll take a drawing opponent all day long and twice on sunday. Against 2 or more I figure I can get my chips in in a better situation. Basically in addition to any diamond you have to figure another K might hurt you, as well as a 9, 10, Q, or A. Just too many cards you don't want to see at that point.

TrailofTears
03-02-2005, 12:57 PM
He's a coinflip to win the hand, and he is getting 2-1 on his money. If he could make this play every day he would be a rich man.