PDA

View Full Version : milk.. why does this happen?

Joe826
02-28-2005, 11:00 PM
i have a gallon of milk in my room that's like 3/4 gone. anyways i left it out one night and so it spoiled. instead of taking it out of my room i just left it in there. it has the lid on so it doesn't stink or anything. i noticed after a couple days time it started to solidify, which was what i expected. however, a couple of weeks into it the milk jug is actually EXPANDING a good deal. it's really fat and swollen. i'm going to leave it in here to see if it gets tigher and comes close to exploding. any idea what causes the expansion?

7ontheline
02-28-2005, 11:04 PM
Release of gas by the bacteria fermenting the milk.

wacki
02-28-2005, 11:49 PM
instead of taking it out of my room i just left it in there. ......i'm going to leave it in here to see if it gets tigher and comes close to exploding.

::Wacki shakes head::

[censored]
02-28-2005, 11:54 PM
This is going to be awesome. Daily reports please!

ethan
03-01-2005, 12:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
instead of taking it out of my room i just left it in there. ......i'm going to leave it in here to see if it gets tigher and comes close to exploding.

[/ QUOTE ]

I, too, shake my head. My condolences to anyone living near you. I'd think you'd at least have the good sense to conduct this experiment somewhere that wasn't your room.

b0000000000m
03-01-2005, 12:36 AM
Yeah, please do pictures, a la the wonderful stinkymeat project (http://www.stinkymeat.net/).

[censored]
03-01-2005, 12:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I, too, shake my head. My condolences to anyone living near you. I'd think you'd at least have the good sense to conduct this experiment somewhere that wasn't your room.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't listen to these nay sayers. Greatness does not come with out risk. Seriouly what is the worst that could happen? A little spilled milk.

peachy
03-01-2005, 12:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Release of gas by the bacteria fermenting the milk.

[/ QUOTE ]

Joe826
03-01-2005, 12:55 AM
agree 100% [censored]. KEEP IT REAL.

RunDownHouse
03-01-2005, 12:57 AM
When I was in college my freshman roommate and I were pretty laid-back about things like cleanliness. The tiny little trashcans provided us were no match for the avalanche of refuse we could produce over a few days. Couple this with fairly healthy amounts of laziness, and our trash would frequently overspill the can, building into a three- to four-feet tall mound o' garbage.

I suppose I should mention that there was a trash chute maybe 15 feet from our door.

Anywho, in one particular instance I left a half-gallon of milk unfinished, or I left it out for a few hours, or something similar. The milk, of course, ended up in the mountain of trash, where it remained for a couple weeks. My roommate and I noticed that it began swelling, eventually becoming harder than a football, and we'd point and giggle.

One day I returned from class to encounter a HORRIBLE stench that pervaded the entire floor. Dazed freshman were gazing about, unsure what was going on. I asked a few people what the odor was, but no one knew. By this time, I had nearly forgotten about the milk, since it was covered with other refuse.

A few minutes later, my roommate enters the hall from the bathroom. He's pale, shaking a little, and the stench is by far the worst in our room. He tells me a lurid tell of the trash mound making a loud pop as he studied, quickly followed by a nauseating assault on the nose that forced him to gag and retreat. Only upon covering his face with a shirt and holding his breath could he locating and removing the foul, broken container to the trash chute could he locate and remove the broken, foul container of nastiness.

So, in summary, rotten milk [censored] stinks.

3rdEye
03-01-2005, 01:01 AM
I think that the fermentation produces gas which causes the jug to expand.

Blackjack
03-01-2005, 01:05 AM
Dude throw it away. It curdles and starts to stink like [censored].

Blackjack

Joe826
03-01-2005, 01:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i think you're correct, considering this exact answer has already been given twice /images/graemlins/grin.gif.

Joe826
03-01-2005, 01:25 AM
dude it has a cap on it. it doesn't stink at all. rundown's story does kind of scary me though. if it gets to the point that i really think it's going to blow up i'm going to put a small tarp in that corner of my room.

3rdEye
03-01-2005, 01:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i think you're correct, considering this exact answer has already been given twice /images/graemlins/grin.gif.

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha, yeah. I didn't notice that until I responded though.

Anyway, I was a political science/economics major.