PDA

View Full Version : First 2+2 book`

pshabi
02-28-2005, 10:48 PM
I've been browsing this particular forum for a few months, but I've made just a few posts.

I've been playing seriously for about 6 months now. I'm up, but just had my first losing month at 3/6. Reading the posted hand histories on here made me realize I was lacking something.

Occasionally, I've been on the outside when reading terms such as "pot equity" and others that I've got no experience with. There have also been hands that I've read that have sparked conversations that I would've never thought about on my own.

The turning point was a thread on the regular hold 'em forum about the "worst poker related money spent."

In that thread, almost every book I've read to date was slammed by a 2+2 poster. Books I've read since last summer in order read include:

Ken Warren Teaches Texas Hold'em
Playing Poker Like the Pros (HE only)
Super System (HE only)
Winning Low Limit HE
and
Championship No Limit and Pot Limit HE

(also Poker Wisdom of a Champion and The tao of Poker)

Honestly, I thought 2+2 was a bunch of "snobs" who were drinking the "Kool Aid" together and living in their own little world of "We're better than everyone else."

However, that thread made me realize something. All of these players cannot be wrong.

So, today I got SSHE and have read the first section. I'll be here with many questions while reading the book and I'll be posting hand histories along the way.

Hopefully, I'll become an expert player with the help of the book(s) and you guys. Thanks for reading and I look forward to taking your advice.

Phil

sthief09
02-28-2005, 11:01 PM
yeah, those are some pretty terrible books. for limit hold'em, those first 3 are probably the worst available (super/system only because the blind structure is entirely different than it is now, in that there's only one blind).

we are pretty snobby though about 2+2 being the best, but it's justified

pshabi
02-28-2005, 11:08 PM
You know, even though the books were terrible, I did learn something from each of them.

I obviously have a lot of reading to do though. Considering your post on "reverse implied odds" and another one on the front page just confused the [censored] out of me.

Oh well. I'm smart, dedicated, and can take criticsm so I'm on my way.

afk
02-28-2005, 11:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
and can take criticsm

[/ QUOTE ]

That's probably one of the most important things about posters on this board. It's not personal when you get reamed for making a bonehead play (hah...most of the time). The lessons your learn from being able to take criticism (and apply it) will improve your game and make you some decent cash.

sthief09
02-28-2005, 11:14 PM
Sklansky writes about this stuff a lot. even if you learned something from a book, doesn't mean it has value. I can guarantee you that reading those books caused more harm than it did good. I've read parts of each of the books and they're terrible. Ken Warren likes AKo more than AKs because you can make two flushes, and also makes a case that AK is stronger than AA. he's a dillusional gambling idiot.

Eztricks
02-28-2005, 11:24 PM
So, today I got SSHE and have read the first section. I'll be here with many questions while reading the book and I'll be posting hand histories along the way

Hey there,

I'm in the same boat.. just started reading the book myself.. up to page #215.. very good so far and I've seen much better results at the tables so far.. I've read several other books but this one has been by far the best!

Best of luck!

Ez

CallMeIshmael
03-01-2005, 12:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Ken Warren likes AKo more than AKs because you can make two flushes

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you serious????

crunchy1
03-01-2005, 09:38 AM
lol.... Ken Warren SUCKS!!! But that was the first book that me and a friend picked up when we first started playing and didn't know any better..... 7/8 years later combined with 2+2 and we're both decent winning players!!

Just keep your mind open when posting here - there's a lot of good information that a lot of really smart players will provide. As has been said already, no one usually means to be rude when they're berating you for calling 63o out of the BB - usually. I think the most important skill to acquire on these forums is applying the information that is provided through posts/replies.

Good luck at the tables!!

spydog
03-01-2005, 09:51 AM
Don't be shy about posting, especially responses to other people's hands. I find I learn a lot more by analyzing posts that aren't mine and responding to them.

And remember, being wrong about something will speed up the learning process if you are willing to learn from some of the great players on this site.

sthief09
03-01-2005, 12:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you serious????

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, as amazing as that is, I wasn't joking

Octopus
03-01-2005, 12:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you serious????

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, as amazing as that is, I wasn't joking

[/ QUOTE ]

I also seem to remember some material on how to play when on a rush, and he wasn't just talking about table image. (But maybe it was my imagination.)