PDA

View Full Version : Reading Hands by The Dude

That guy
02-28-2005, 10:47 PM
sup Dude (and others),

I am still a lowly small stakes player trying to beat 5/10, so far beating it but not for much yet...

So I have become better at reading hands and thinking about what hands beat mine vs what hands I beat and trying to make good logical plays, adjusting for pot sizes and adjusting when the action gets really hot (raised and re-raised in front of me on the turn) vs just a raise.

My question is a vague one so I will just ask it and anyone can go any direction they want with it...

In order to call or raise, how many hands should you be able to beat??? You have put your opponent on a range, now how far up that range before you call or raise?? Say you make top-pair top kicker and you bet the flop and it gets raised and re-raised behind you... you call... now the turn card comes a blank and you check and again it goes bet and then a raise back to you.... this happened to me the other day and I laid down AJ on a Jack-high board... For that much action, what do I beat? would KJ re-raise on the turn? So my question is how to gauge the intensity of the action vs the range of hands you beat... not looking for a comprehensive answer, just some pointers...

thanks in advance

sup all

bernie
02-28-2005, 10:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So my question is how to gauge the intensity of the action vs the range of hands you beat...

[/ QUOTE ]

Um...watch how your opponents play? Especially in hands that you're not involved in. What other information are you going to use against certain opponents other than the information that they provide to you through their play?

On you J hand, it looks like you're beat by at least 2 pair. This also depends on the board. However, if these 2 guys have a history of ramming and jamming lesser hands, doesn't that change your thought on how to play the hand?

b

That guy
02-28-2005, 11:33 PM
On you J hand, it looks like you're beat by at least 2 pair.

Agreed... so even assuming no flush or straight is possible, I should not only fold TPTK but I should also strongly consider folding bottom 2-pair or maybe even more...?...?