PDA

View Full Version : Aggression out of nowhere

BradleyT
02-28-2005, 10:36 PM
I just sat down - less than 1 orbit played. 2 hands ago I had AA so they probably don't put me on AA again.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG+2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls.

Flop: (13.50 SB) T/images/graemlins/heart.gif, J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls.

Turn: (8.25 BB) 5/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 raises</font>, MP1 calls, Hero calls.

I had no idea what to make of his raise out of the blue - especially with all the PF aggression and him just calling. Is this an easy way behind or way ahead situation?

River: (14.25 BB) 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 raises</font>, MP1 folds, Hero calls.

Easy bet IMO since I'm probably behind (on the turn) to two pair more often than a FH or straight. When he pops it again I just call down and think maybe I've been drawing near dead since the flop.

Final Pot: 18.25 BB

3 bet turn? 3 bet river? Check call river?

Harv72b
02-28-2005, 11:16 PM
Assuming that UTG+1 isn't a total moron, this looks like a flopped set to me. With the highly coordinated flop &amp; the size of the pot, he might have wanted to wait for a safe turn card to raise (and also to maximize his profits, since he has to figure that you &amp; MP1 are coming along at least until the river anyway).

Can you 3-bet the turn? Probably not against an unknown...most 2/4 players will raise the flop rather than the turn with TPTK vs. PFR, and few will raise the turn with a hand that doesn't beat an overpair (or at least has a lot of outs to do so).

That said, there are also a lot of very, very bad players on Party 2/4, obviously, so there's no way I can fold aces on this board. I play it like you did on the flop &amp; turn, and then check/call the river (I might check/raise if UTG+2 gives me a tell, but it's tough to get an online tell vs. a player you don't have a lot of hands against). I like your reasoning of counterfeiting a higher two pair, but I don't think I'd want to lead into him anyway (because he's likely going to raise regardless of whether he's got a boat, two pair, or quads).

ewile
03-01-2005, 12:23 AM
I find making decions after turn raises to be one of the most difficult situations in the game.
Anyway, preflop, and flop fine.
Turn: I'm always hard pressed to lay these types of hands down with AA. So I'd call and check/call the river.
If I had a hand like AJ I'd give serious consideration to folding.

Wired Jokers
03-01-2005, 12:43 AM
Harv basically summarized what I was going to say. I am about 90% sure this guy has a set of 8's. He called pre-flop, then after calling your flop bet, called 3 cold back to him. He has a set.

But, as Harv said, there are so many loonies on Party 2/4 it is almost impossible to lay this down, due to size of pot. While very unlikely, he could be playing JT suited the same way.

My only change would be to check/call the river.

EDIT: misread the pre-flop action as flop action. Still doesn't change my opinion, aside from he may have a set of jacks now.

Chris Daddy Cool
03-01-2005, 12:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
3 bet turn? 3 bet river? Check call river?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. No. Yes.

BradleyT
03-01-2005, 01:30 AM
Thanks for the replies. Turns out the guy was a moron.

Villian shows [ Kd, Jd ] two pairs, jacks and fives.
Hero shows [ Ad, As ] two pairs, aces and fives.

He went on tilt after this and raised the next 6 hands in a row then left the table.

MisterKing
03-01-2005, 02:04 AM
Call me a weakie, but I'm checking this river card and calling however many bets it is back to me. You definitely want to see a showdown, and once he's popped it on the turn you're going to be behind more often than you'll be ahead (turned set, delayed flop set, delayed straight, etc.). I suppose pocket kings and queens might make this play, however, since the postflop aggressor did call two cold pre-flop.