PDA

View Full Version : Betting draws (theory-ish)

xorbie
02-28-2005, 10:11 PM
So I've been thinking about pod odds recently, and I figure it doesn't really matter about who's calling and who's betting. That said, I figure I'd prefer to be the one betting, as it's more agressive and harder to read my bets. So for example, lets say this is a hand you are in:

Hero is SB with A/images/graemlins/spade.gif3/images/graemlins/spade.gif. 3 limpers, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop ($5BB): K/images/graemlins/spade.gif10/images/graemlins/heart.gif6/images/graemlins/spade.gif

Let's say you can get an average of two people to call a decent size bet here. Then betting 5BB (pot size) and getting called by two people is enough to give you odds just on the next card hitting your flush or an ace (given that your ace is bound to be good except against A10) (~3:1). In addition, a pot size bet has decent fold equity, and you will also win more when you hit bigger hands (2 pair, set).

Good line? Bad line?

poboy
02-28-2005, 10:53 PM
That is basically semi-bluffing isn't it? A bet of 2/3 pot works equally well maybe a little better. JMO

KissDeezNuts
02-28-2005, 11:13 PM
Definitely a good play. Works better when you're in good position and able to see what everyone does first. If everyone checks, definitely the perfect time for semi bluffing.

fimbulwinter
03-01-2005, 12:46 AM
the real thing you need to think about here is depth of stacks. if you're under say 50BB, then let someone else bet, create maybe a 20-30BB pot and then raise all-in. your hand is huge and, so long as there isnt huge preflop action, your fold equity is good here. the real problem with betting straight out is that when you get raised by a strong K or even AT and call/check your hand is hugely defined and it's not difficult to play well against you. if, on the other hand you stacks are very deep, betting out could be good as it misrepresents your hand as a K and you will have enough behind to really put them to the test on the turn again. it is good to note, however that on deep deep stacks a better way to play this could be to just hope someone makes an underflush. if you really want to take 200 or more BB's off someon, you can't do it by semibluffing, you have to let them make a second best hand, and that comes by making your nut draws, especially on bords which will allow quite a few second best hands (say KQ on JT8 board or Ax on a twoflush board in a multiway limped pot).

so in summary, you should always go for manking the most money possible, and let that be the motivating force as to how you play this hand. if you're short get it in while you likely have a coinflip and huge fold equity, if you're med, go ahead and semibluf two streets, most hands can't take the heat of two PSB's and if you're really deep, play it passively and let the other big stack make his K high and take half of his dough or more.

fim

pottie
03-01-2005, 03:31 AM
Fimbulwinter - people like you make me love this forum!

xorbie
03-01-2005, 05:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Fimbulwinter - people like you make me love this forum!

[/ QUOTE ]

Indeed. Thanks for the insight. /images/graemlins/smile.gif