PDA

View Full Version : Your dream machine poker laptop

Greg J
02-28-2005, 10:09 PM
What is it? Provide a link. Does it do cool things like plays games well too? Can you hook up 3 monitors to that bad boy so you can 16 table?

Money being no object, this looks pretty cool. (http://www.alienware.com/Configurator_Pages/area-51m_7700.aspx?SysCode=PC-LT-AREA51-M-7700&SubCode=SKU-DEFAULT) I configured it to add the 2 gigs of ram, so it's actually more expensive than that. But I am open to changing my mind.

Post yr links.

tylerdurden
02-28-2005, 10:18 PM
Max resolution on the display is 1680x1050 which means you have overlap for four-tabling. Also, it's 12.5 lbs. That's really fukken heavy. It's a buff machine, but you could get a much lighter machine that is better for poker for less money.

irongarden
02-28-2005, 10:22 PM
I'm running on a Dell Latitude D800, which has sufficient screen resolution for me to 4 table without overlap, and have a little room left over for tracking apps.

Greg J
02-28-2005, 10:36 PM
Did not see that about the resolution. I really just made this post b/c I wanted to see others' responses. I wanted to drool over some sweet laptops.

EDIT: Where did you find that about the max resolution?

astroglide
02-28-2005, 10:41 PM
my dream machine doesn't exist

- large, high-resolution screen
- 1gb ram
- 60gb 7200rpm hard drive
- fast pci express video card (upgradeable)
- solid pentium m cpu
- AS THIN AND LIGHT AS POSSIBLE

last part is the key. for now i have the above minus the pci express (mobile radeon 9700 though, not bad) on my dell 9200 laptop. cost around $1700. 8.6lbs is really good for a desktop replacement that size, but what i would prefer would be a pc along the lines of the 17" powerbook with higher resolution

ebranig
02-28-2005, 11:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
my dream machine doesn't exist

- large, high-resolution screen
- 1gb ram
- 60gb 7200rpm hard drive
- fast pci express video card (upgradeable)
- solid pentium m cpu
- AS THIN AND LIGHT AS POSSIBLE

last part is the key. for now i have the above minus the pci express (mobile radeon 9700 though, not bad) on my dell 9200 laptop. cost around $1700. 8.6lbs is really good for a desktop replacement that size, but what i would prefer would be a pc along the lines of the 17" powerbook with higher resolution

[/ QUOTE ]

Look at an IBM Thinkpad T43p. (will be available in the next month)

Here's what you can find:
-15" 1600x1200 flexview (wide viewing angle)
-up to 2gb ram
-60gb 7200rpm
-128mb ddr pci express ati firegl vid card
-pentium-m up to 2.1ghz
-6 lbs with a 9-cell battery that will run longer than 6 hours.

I have a t42p which has a slightly worse video card, also I have a 14.1" screen (slightly over 5 lbs). I have a port replicator and have it hooked up to my 2001fp via DVI when I'm at home, playing poker.

Unfortunately, It is pretty damn expensive.

I was able to get a nice model because my roomate's mom works at IBM and was able to hook me up with a sweet discount ($1500 off /images/graemlins/smile.gif)

In my opinion, there is not a better laptop on the market.

Here's a testimonial from a thinkpad message board I frequent:

IBM sent a product engineer to our facility a few weeks ago to try to sell us on IBM PC and laptops. (we've been an all Hell shop...I mean dell).

The part that won my CIO over is when the product engineer took aT42 powered on, dropped it on the floor from about 6 feet up, thenstood on the cover and jumped up and down twice (a fully grown adult about 200 to 220 pounds) then picked it back up, open the lid, showing the machine is still working perfectly, no cracks in the display, nodead HD, no cracks anywhere in the case.

He then took a glass of water and poured it on the keyboard. thenturn the machine over and let the water drip out of the keyboard, and the machine was powered on and running during this whole demo.

We now have over a dozen thinkpads in our fleet, mostly T42 and T42P.

Greg J
02-28-2005, 11:11 PM
I can't find max res on any laptop I look at. How do you figure that out?

astroglide
02-28-2005, 11:13 PM
i owned a t42p. returned it because it wasn't worth the 3.2k it cost to get it. the firegl card in it was underwhelming performance-wise and the analog video output was *HORRIBLE*. if those factors were better i probably would have kept it.

the t43p is intriguing if it is actually pci express, but i'm having trouble believing anything under 7lbs. my t42p was ~7.3 with the extended battery (which doesn't add that much weight).

ebranig
02-28-2005, 11:20 PM
Yes, it is expensive. But it seems to fit your criteria, no?

http://trustedreviews.com/article.aspx?page=2184

wonderwes
03-01-2005, 01:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I can't find max res on any laptop I look at. How do you figure that out?

[/ QUOTE ]

Right click on your desktop, go to properties, brings up the display window, go to settings tab. Bam.

tylerdurden
03-01-2005, 01:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Did not see that about the resolution. I really just made this post b/c I wanted to see others' responses. I wanted to drool over some sweet laptops.

EDIT: Where did you find that about the max resolution?

[/ QUOTE ]

http://img225.exs.cx/img225/186/untitled12tt.png