PDA

View Full Version : 20/40 turn question

09-15-2002, 07:57 AM
Hello,
I am button with AKo and raise after utg, 2 mp and cutoff limps.SB fold, BB and every limpers call.
Flop is just perfect: K 5 2 rainbow
BB check, utg bet an everyone fold; I raise, BB fold and utg call
Turn :8
utg bet
And now? how would you play assuming its the first time i meet utg!
My thought: an "average" 20/40 player limps on preflop and bet the flop with middle pair (debattable with 6 players on the flop but its not the point here), KQ, sometimes small pairs (very poor play but...), seldom AA.
After my flop raise, he dont reraise, probably happy to play headsup. Know he bet the turn...why? middle pair or K bad kicker (KJs for example) , preferring betting than check-call? If its the case, i should naturraly raise, but...is it that simple? He didnt reraise the flop, why? Is it to disguise his hand? but such play is often followed by a check-raise on the turn...
What type of hand do i have, from his point of view? My raise preflop can be done with a vaste type of hands in that situation ( premium hands, but also connectors, Ax suited, middle or even small pairs,...)
At that point, i think i have probably the winner but am i right...?
What is your analyse? Thank's for your opinion

Dehumanizer
09-15-2002, 01:47 PM
I would wager that be bet out with some pocket pair, maybe even 8's....

With the K high flop, he took a bluff at it, missed, but still stuck around. He caught the 8 on the turn to give him a set of 8's...

That's my theory!

PokerBabe(aka)
09-15-2002, 04:30 PM
Hi Serge- I think a simple raise on the turn after UTG bets will let you know where he's at. Limping in UTG with 88 is not uncommon, so yes...he could have a set of 8's. Only one way to find out- raise and see if he pops you back. Babe

09-15-2002, 05:16 PM
Just like others here, a logical guess would be a set of 8s. If not, a tricky player could have 67s betting on the come as a disguise. I'd do what the Babe suggests to raise to know where you're and maybe fold to a reraise against a tight opponent. Otherwise, I'd check/call to the river.

BLUESMAN
09-15-2002, 05:51 PM
Hi Babe,
Usually I agree with you but here I'm not sure of your arithmetic.I think 3 eights is very likely and I don't see the point in raising and then facing a reraise when it seems to me I can call and then call the river bet getting me another card and at worst finding out for sure what my opponent has for the same price and without speculation

sandsmarc
09-15-2002, 08:15 PM

09-16-2002, 05:37 AM
I decided to call the turn
River was a blank and utg checks!
Now i was pretty sure my hands was the best so i bet the river and...utg folds!
Thanks for your comments

J.A.Sucker
09-16-2002, 03:05 PM
I don't think that a set is out there, because most people would go for the checkraise here on the turn. I'd raise here for sure, and get him to fold - he likely has a weak hand and wants to buy the pot. If he snapped a set on the turn, so be it.

09-16-2002, 04:56 PM
I play it like you did in my mind. In game situation I might raise. When I read your post I thought about what I do sometimes. Bet the turn on a blank to see if you have a king since you were auto-betting after the flop. If you raise, I fold; if you call, I quit; if you fold I win. Your best play is most likely to call the whole way. If he checks the river, you have the best hand and should bet. There is no way he checks a hand stronger than AK.

09-16-2002, 04:58 PM
Of course, I probably wouldn't have just called the flop, like he did. I would raise or fold. The situation I was talking about was if I was heads-up on the flop.