PDA

View Full Version : A country divided

thatpfunk
02-28-2005, 08:45 PM
As you find in this forum, the liberals and conservatives of the country do not get along, at all.

Where does everyone see our country headed in the next few years? A greater gulf in political ideology, or will the country be brought together somehow?

What will happen if:

a) a conservative is elected in 2008?
b) Jeb Bush is eleceted
c) A liberal is elected?

Also, do you see this division as a good or bad thing? Explain.

CCass
02-28-2005, 08:57 PM
Our country is going to become more polarized until the middle no longer exists. Six years ago I would have shot anyone who told me that I would vote for a Republican for President, yet I have now done so in 2 straight elections. The Democrats pushed me to the right. I think more and more of the middle is getting pushed/pulled one way or the other.

[censored]
03-01-2005, 05:11 AM
A)

At some point the "Clinton" wing of the Democratic party will take control from the "60's Liberal" wing and we will once again have two strong polictical parties.

I just don't think that will happen in 08

I'm straight conservative but I don't think it is a good for the Country for one polictical party to dominate for too long.

There a some really good young moderate Democrates out there and would expect to start seeing more of them come 2010

jokerthief
03-01-2005, 05:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Our country is going to become more polarized until the middle no longer exists. Six years ago I would have shot anyone who told me that I would vote for a Republican for President, yet I have now done so in 2 straight elections. The Democrats pushed me to the right. I think more and more of the middle is getting pushed/pulled one way or the other.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is interesting. What prompted the switch? In 2000 the country was moving to the left (Gore won popular vote, Dems pick up seats in congress/senate), you were going against the grain somewhat.

CCass
03-01-2005, 12:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is interesting. What prompted the switch? In 2000 the country was moving to the left (Gore won popular vote, Dems pick up seats in congress/senate), you were going against the grain somewhat.

[/ QUOTE ]

Before I answer your question, let me give you a little background on me. I will be 38 this year, and have lived in the Congressional district where Al Gore was 1st elected as a Congressman in '76 (i think). I grew up in a Southern Democrat household, and I had voted for Gore every time I had the chance (Senator, '88 Primary, V-Pres.).

As I have gotten older, I have realized more and more that the Democratic Party (on a National level) does not believe/support the things I believe. I am a Conservative with Libertarian leanings.

The issues that "pushed" me over the edge in 2000 were: gun control, abortion, affirmative action, gay rights, etc... The first two don't need a lot of explantion, but my thoughts on affirmative action and gay rights do. I do not debate that in the past, minorities were treated horribly in this country. But IMO, equal treatment means the same for everybody. A person shouldn't get extra points on a law school application simply because they are a minority. A company shouldn't get a contract simply because they are owned by a female. As for gay rights, let me make this clear. What a person does in the privacy of their home with another consenting adult is none of my business. However, as stated above about minorities, just because someone is gay doesn't give them more rights than me. The stupid hate crimes legislation that was passed a few years ago is a great example. In the eyes of the law a gay persons life is more valuable than a heterosexuals?

I guess the "liberal" propaganda got to me. Just to be clear, Bush and company have done things that I am unhappy with, particularly the deficit. But Bush is more closely aligned with my beliefs than is Kerry.

jaxmike
03-01-2005, 12:14 PM
I don't think the country is as divided as some people feel. I think that Bush is a polarizing figure, either you love him, or you hate him. However, I think that there is something to be said that over the past 7 Presidential elections conservative candidates have either won the popular vote, or won the election in each instance except Clintons reelection.

a) i think this will happen
b) i would NOT be suprised if this happened, but I am not sure that he wants to run. he is VERY popular in Florida and has done a great job as governor and would do a great job as President.
c) it wont happen, unless the candidate fools the American public into believing he/she is a conservative.

what division there is, i dont think its great, is ok. i think the nation is conservative, thats why only people who appeal to conservatives get elected. the more educated people become and the more media they are exposed to, the more conservative they are leaning now. no longer can the networks control information and lie to the public.