PDA

View Full Version : Fish got the best of me today...did I play this hand OK

theredpill5
02-28-2005, 08:04 PM
I got rivered all day long today. Here is one of my recent riverings . Please let me know if I played it OK. These guys won't fold and I figured I was ahead on the flop but wasn't sure on the turn.

Hero has Ts Tc in MP

Hero $40
Villain 1 $43
Villain 2 $80

Hero limps
everyone else folds
Villain1 in BB
Villain2 UTG

Flop: 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif pot=1.70

Villain1 bets $1
Villain2 calls
Hero raises to $4
Both call

Turn: K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif pot= 12.50
Both check
Hero bets $5
Both call

River: A/images/graemlins/heart.gif
Villain1 checks
Villain2 checks
Hero checks

Villain1 shows A/images/graemlins/spade.gif 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif
Villain2 shows A/images/graemlins/club.gif J/images/graemlins/spade.gif

I got rivered so much today. It was unbelievable. Should I push all-in on the turn I mean jesus christ. My hand isn't that strong.

theredpill5
02-28-2005, 08:22 PM
You guys think I'm a bad player but I got my money in when I had the best hand the majority of the time today. I just got beat on the river many times. I flopped K 8 two pair and put this short stack all-in and calls with a 6 high flush draw and hits it on the river. What could I do ? I put him all-in on the flop. He obviously lost money on the play since he got like 1.5 to 1 odds on his money.

jonnyUCB
02-28-2005, 08:31 PM
Again, like your JJ hand where you turned a set, your turn bet is weak. What is your line of thinking when you make the bet?

When they call you this tells me one of two things about their hand:

A) They are drawing
B) They calling down with top/mid pair

In both situations A and B its 90% likely they will call that sized bet with either holding - though granted, its a bit loose. What hand on the turn are you afraid of that caused you bet that little? 8K? Kx suited? If you really put them on that holding why bet at all? Why not check and call any river bet without a spade, or more paint coming?

It seems from this post and the other that you need more consideration of your opponent's possible hands when betting.

Utah
02-28-2005, 08:39 PM
Why in the world did you only bet $5 on the turn? The K is one of the safer cards you could see on the turn. There is no need to fear it. Of course, a fish will occassionally have one but you cant play if fear.

The board is draw heavy and you gave the fish odds to chase by betting $5.

I would fire pot on the turn and make them pay to chase.

JimmyJazz1
02-28-2005, 08:52 PM
You have to raise that preflop. And I also agree that you should be at least half the pot on the turn

theredpill5
02-28-2005, 08:53 PM
Most of the time, I just have no idea what these players could have.

Example. I had K Q suited. there was a min. raise preflop

Flop: 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif K/images/graemlins/club.gif 7/images/graemlins/club.gif

For a preflop raised pot...this looks like a nice innocent flop. Wrong. I check raised on the flop and over bet the pot. Then on the turn . I bet $10 into an $18 pot. Then on the river. I bet $8 more just because I figured I was ahead. He flips over K 7 suited. He not only played the hand, he called a preflop raise with it. I paid him off nicely by continuing to bet so hard on the flop and turn. Not always smart to play like that.

TheWorstPlayer
02-28-2005, 09:04 PM
It's about hand reading. When someone flat calls the flop, they are likely drawing. When someone bets the flop and then calls a large check/raise, they are likely not drawing. All of a sudden TP2K just doesn't look at that good anymore.