PDA

View Full Version : Sister's hand

curtains
02-28-2005, 06:29 PM
After just 2 months of playing and some great results (and the fact that she plays better than at least 80-90% of her opponents), I've moved her up to the $22s. My sister is jenium. Any comments:

***** Hand History for Game 1662982729 *****
100/200 TOURNEYTEXASHTGAMETABLE (NL) (TOURNAMENT 9976654) - MON FEB 28 16:00:31 EST 2005
Table Table 14013 (Real Money) -- Seat 2 is the button
Total number of players : 3
Seat 2: jenium (4135)
Seat 4: crump5 (1185)
Seat 10: owenstdking (2680)
crump5 posts small blind (50)
owenstdking posts big blind (100)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to jenium [ 8s, Ah ]
jenium raises (300) to 300
crump5 folds.
owenstdking calls (200)
** Dealing Flop ** : [ Tc, 6s, 4h ]
owenstdking bets (100)
jenium raises (400) to 400
owenstdking calls (300)
** Dealing Turn ** : [ 4d ]
owenstdking bets (100)
jenium calls (100)
** Dealing River ** : [ Jd ]
owenstdking checks.
jenium bets (800)
owenstdking folds.
** Summary **
Main Pot: 2450

dankhank
02-28-2005, 06:40 PM
three-handed at 50/100 level, with opponents who bet that transparently? i think i miss the $11's.

no, but seriously, your sister has balls. nice bet.

curtains
02-28-2005, 06:41 PM
This is actually $22 NL /images/graemlins/smile.gif

The Yugoslavian
02-28-2005, 07:19 PM
My only recommendation is for you to give me her phone number so I can discuss this hand privately with her over drinks.

/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Her play looks fine although the betting pattern in question could be a multitude of hands that could easily call her down with a weak pair and take her chips. But I think it's good to go with your read and obviously she felt the villian either had worse nothing or would fold, so it looks good to me.

Yugoslav

Gigabet
02-28-2005, 07:40 PM
She played it beautifully, I love the bluff call on the turn. There are a couple little things that could have saved her chips had the line failed. Raising to 300 on the flop is the same raise, and betting 700 on the river accomplishes the same goal.

jenium
03-01-2005, 12:46 AM
Hello everyone! Just joined this forum-curtains is my brother and poker coach. I just started playing in the 22$ NL Hold Em tourneys, and have so far found the players to be looser than those at the 11$ tourneys. Maybe i'm just sitting at loose tables? Any thoughts?

DCJ311
03-01-2005, 01:44 AM
Wow what an excellently played hand. I probably would have called the flop (with the idea of bluffing turn or river), or folded on the flop (I suck) , but I definitely think this was a skillful play by Jen. I am still the world champion of poker though.

ilya
03-01-2005, 01:45 AM
What's the plan if opp. bets the river?

The Yugoslavian
03-01-2005, 04:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
What's the plan if opp. bets the river?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ummm.

You can just post to Jenium -- the Gigabet approved $22 player who played the hand. You know, it's cool and stuff.

Yugoslav
/images/graemlins/wink.gif

The Yugoslavian
03-01-2005, 04:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Hello everyone!

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Jenium!! It's a pleasure to make your virtual aquaintance!

[ QUOTE ]

Just joined this forum-curtains is my brother and poker coach.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, it's hard to afford a good coach nowadays, /images/graemlins/wink.gif.

[ QUOTE ]

I just started playing in the 22$ NL Hold Em tourneys, and have so far found the players to be looser than those at the 11$ tourneys.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, the $22s are tougher than the $11s. It's not a huge step/leap by any means. But it *really is* actually tougher to beat (and thus a lower optimal ROI can be obtained). Now, in my experience at the $22s, this means players are tighter earlier (fewer complete idiots literally throwing their chips at you) than in the $11s but looser later (more players who recognize at least some value in opening pots and/or ramping up the agression).

[ QUOTE ]

Maybe i'm just sitting at loose tables? Any thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps. The tables you're at could be looser than average @ $22s, you could have played tighter $11s than average, or you could be imagining things due to duress from your brother endlessly critiquing your play. Also, since the difference between $11s and $22s isn't huge, this is a very common thing to be wondering/seeing.

Yugoslav
PS Feel free to ignore, /images/graemlins/blush.gif, and/or accept, /images/graemlins/shocked.gif, the implied invitation in my post above, /images/graemlins/wink.gif.

jenium
03-02-2005, 02:30 AM
Hi Yugoslavian! Thanks for the thoughts. What is your handle on partypoker? Which buy-ins do you play? Did you watch curtains' stellar performance last night? I'm going to post another interesting hand i had in a separate thread.

The Yugoslavian
03-02-2005, 02:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Hi Yugoslavian! Thanks for the thoughts. What is your handle on partypoker? Which buy-ins do you play? Did you watch curtains' stellar performance last night? I'm going to post another interesting hand i had in a separate thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

My handle on Empire (where I play STTs) is TheYugoslav. I play $33 STTs at the moment.

I've watched your brother play in a couple of those big MTTs for a while and I felt he played very well (FWIW much better than I would play).

You wouldn't have a chance of remembering me but I met you and your brother at the US Open on the big island of Hawaii a few years ago. I was like the only high school person there not playing in the Denker, /images/graemlins/mad.gif. If I remember correctly, you finished ahead of curtains in the tournament, /images/graemlins/wink.gif.

Anyway, welcome to the forum.....I'm sure you'll get much less grief here than your brother!

Yugoslav
(who just loves a good pwn3d curtains thread)

AJo Go All In
03-02-2005, 04:34 AM
i'm a little confused by the gushing responses. i don't like the bet on the river. i think you have too much hand. i suppose it's possible that he folds a 6 or an A-rag chop. most likely you had the best hand. if you are putting him on a 6 or some small pair, i think you need to bet it all to move him off it. but checking is best.

Gigabet
03-02-2005, 05:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i'm a little confused by the gushing responses. i don't like the bet on the river. i think you have too much hand. i suppose it's possible that he folds a 6 or an A-rag chop. most likely you had the best hand. if you are putting him on a 6 or some small pair, i think you need to bet it all to move him off it. but checking is best.

[/ QUOTE ]

She had to bet, because she cannot call any of his bets, as for betting his whole stack, that is what she accomplished by her bet. That is why I said earlier, 700 is enough, because in his eyes, that is the same as betting his whole stack.

curtains
03-02-2005, 05:47 AM
She cannot call any of his bets? Isn't she last to act after he checked.

Gigabet
03-02-2005, 07:09 AM
You are right, i misread the hh, she didn't need to bet the river.

MagnoliasFM
03-02-2005, 07:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

She had to bet, because she cannot call any of his bets, as for betting his whole stack, that is what she accomplished by her bet. That is why I said earlier, 700 is enough, because in his eyes, that is the same as betting his whole stack.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is probably true for the better players you play against, but I would say that for 90% of the $22 players I play with, if someone bets half their stack, in their eyes it is NOT the same as if they bet their whole stack.