PDA

View Full Version : Mirage 20-40: Trying to expertly play 72o

Dynasty
09-15-2002, 03:31 AM
It's a slightly worst than normal Mirage 20-40 game since the room was slow today and only one game was running with many regulars in it.

UTG limps. Super-loose MP limps. Cutoff limps. Loose Small blind completes. I'm in the big blind with 7c2h and check. 5 players see the flop for one bet.

The flop is: 8d,7s,4c

Small blind checks. I bet my middle pair (to charge the draws!). UTG calls. MP calls. Cutoff folds. Four players see the turn.

The turn is: 8d,7s,4c,2c

Small blind checks. I bet. UTG folds (exposing A9o accidentally). MP calls. Small blind calls. Three players see the river.

The river is: 8d,7s,4c,2c,5h

Small blind bets out. Your play?

Duke
09-15-2002, 11:43 AM
I can't comment.

SB is 'loose.' That tells me nothing about his ability to bet on the river into a scary board and try to pick up a pot.

I'd assume he got there and just muck it, expecting it to get raised behind you by 69.

~D

mikelow
09-15-2002, 11:50 AM
Sounds like a call. While it's "certain" SB has a five, it's not over 80%.

Steve Fiete
09-15-2002, 12:00 PM
fold.

I am assuming that his play is also weak on and after the flop, so he is unlikely to make this river bet with a pair of 5's or overcards. I would guess that he flopped a gut-shot draw by playing A6 or K6. But he also could have 45, 75, 76.

In the on-line mid-limit world aggression and fancy play syndrome run rampant compared to the Mirage games. So a call there against an unknown player is justified, IMO.

09-15-2002, 02:01 PM
it seem to me that loose players will take on off on that flop so a bet is near worthless, and if it gets check-ed around, no big deal, and it makes it tougher to call your turn bet

disclaimer: i don't play 72o much, and wouldn't argue if you wanted to check fold your middle pair no kicker on the flop either, but if you want to splash some chips around checkraise it

09-15-2002, 02:03 PM
i think the flop bet is fine, but why not go for a checkraise on the turn? I am assuming someone is a little aggressive in a 20-40 game

Vince Lepore
09-15-2002, 04:18 PM
Well Dynasty, since you so skillfully out played me th last time we sat in 20 game I hesitate to comment. But that aside you should call the river. Your only other option is to raise and that may be o.k if you put MP on a bigger two pair and feel he would fold to a raise but you still have to contend with the possibility that the sb has a six. I'm not crazy about it but I think calling is best.

Vince

andyfox
09-16-2002, 01:14 AM
Crying call and hope he has 5-4.

Last time a smiliar thing happened to me, I bet the river and showed down my 7-2o and my opponent who had called showed my 7-5s (or somesuch) to win with a bigger two pair. A good player, seeing my hand at the showdown, told me I should have folded pre-flop. When I reminded him I got a free play in the BB, he said I should have folded anyway.

Good advice. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

Dynasty
09-16-2002, 01:20 AM
I called the river bet. The MP raised. A raise from this guy guarantees I'm toast so I folded when the action got back to me.

Small blind at A6o. MP had 66. They split the pot.