PDA

View Full Version : What's the best police drama on tv?

Rhone
02-28-2005, 05:07 PM
The thread on NYPD Blue going off the air made me think about all the police dramas that have been on over the years. I think NYPDB was fairly cutting edge when it first came on, but now it just sucks...IMO, Homocide and the Wire are much, much better shows, but maybe I just have a thing for Baltimore. What's the best police drama that's been on tv? (Some of the choices are tongue-in-cheek, obviously).

sin808
02-28-2005, 05:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Homocide

[/ QUOTE ]

Queer eye for the straight felon?

jakethebake
02-28-2005, 05:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Homocide

[/ QUOTE ]

Queer eye for the straight felon?

[/ QUOTE ]

POTD!

mcb
02-28-2005, 05:21 PM
csi

jakethebake
02-28-2005, 05:23 PM
CHiPS was a drama?

chaas4747
02-28-2005, 05:28 PM
Gotta go with SVU for a bunch of reasons. Here is the best!

http://www.smokemag.com/1202/cover1.jpg

jakethebake
02-28-2005, 05:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Gotta go with SVU for a bunch of reasons. Here is the best!

http://www.smokemag.com/1202/cover1.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

You're kidding right? She walks like a man. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

chaas4747
02-28-2005, 05:34 PM
Nope, She is awesome. I think the man walk is just part of her Character on the show. Seen her in interviews and award shows, she is pretty graceful.

pshreck
02-28-2005, 05:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The thread on NYPD Blue going off the air made me think about all the police dramas that have been on over the years. I think NYPDB was fairly cutting edge when it first came on, but now it just sucks...IMO, Homocide and the Wire are much, much better shows, but maybe I just have a thing for Baltimore. What's the best police drama that's been on tv? (Some of the choices are tongue-in-cheek, obviously).

[/ QUOTE ]

This poll really shouldnt be taken seriously, since it doesnt have The Shield on it, which by the way is my vote. I refuse to select other for this, its really popular.

bdk3clash
02-28-2005, 05:50 PM
It's "The Wire" hands down. It's the best show on TV period, hence it's the best police-themed show.

"The Shield" is a phenomenally great show and it's a distant second.

Rhone
02-28-2005, 05:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
CHiPS was a drama?

[/ QUOTE ]

Some of the choices are tongue-in-cheek, obviously. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Rhone
02-28-2005, 05:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]

This poll really shouldnt be taken seriously, since it doesnt have The Shield on it, which by the way is my vote. I refuse to select other for this, its really popular.

[/ QUOTE ]

Never heard of it, let alone seen it. I must be out of touch. Is it on the air now? If so, when and where?

KingMarc
02-28-2005, 06:02 PM
It's on FX. 4th season starts March 14th or 15th or something, Tuesday at 10. First 3 seasons are on DVD, (3rd season came out last week). It's a great show.

But..I have to vote for SVU.

Soul Daddy
02-28-2005, 06:13 PM
Cop Rock

WEASEL45
02-28-2005, 06:18 PM
Either law and order or third watch

Shajen
02-28-2005, 06:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Third Watch is the shizz. Love that show. I've watched every episode.

Best one running IMO right now.

Thythe
02-28-2005, 06:23 PM
Law & Order original and it's not even close.

Lazymeatball
02-28-2005, 07:22 PM
does CSI not qualify for this?
Because if it does than it is a gross exclusion.

Duke
02-28-2005, 07:31 PM
Columbo.

~D

Joe_d72
02-28-2005, 08:59 PM
It has to be Law & Order because no show has the staying power that Law and order has. Some shows might have put out a good one or two years but law and order is a timeless show you can watch any episode from any year and know you are getting a good hour drama. Some facts from entertainment weekly
"Law & Order (age: 15), SVU, and Criminal Intent (age: 4) — air up to six times a week on NBC and another 40 times on cable. As the Peacock network likes to boast, more than 100 million people will see an L&O episode during any given month."
I don’t know where the show would be without Sam Waterston, who's played assistant DA Jack McCoy for like 11 years

rusty JEDI
03-01-2005, 12:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Third Watch is the shizz. Love that show. I've watched every episode.

Best one running IMO right now.

[/ QUOTE ]

dankhank
03-01-2005, 01:04 AM
homicide is by far the best show ever on television, imo. if you have never seen the show then i would recommend buying the first two seasons on dvd. who knows, you might be incredibly surprised.

Phat Mack
03-01-2005, 02:44 AM
M Squad

http://epguides.com/MSquad/cast.jpg

ddollevoet
03-01-2005, 12:41 PM
The Shield. Duh.

M2d
03-01-2005, 01:16 PM
Where's Cop Rock?

jakethebake
03-01-2005, 01:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Where's Cop Rock?

[/ QUOTE ]

Better question: What is it?

SenecaJim
03-01-2005, 03:52 PM
The Shield....hands down. A class of it's own, never saw a first episode of any show hit the ground running better than THe Shield. Sopranos first season close.

Best thing about the wire is all the Oz actors on it.

3rdEye
03-01-2005, 04:02 PM
Law & Order: Criminal Intent is the best. Nothing better than Private Pyle solving crimes.

B Dids
03-01-2005, 04:05 PM
Currently running (kinda) NYPD Blue.

Best ever: Homicide.

I've never seen The Wire, but I hear it's great.

jakethebake
03-01-2005, 04:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Law & Order: Criminal Intent is the best. Nothing better than Private Pyle solving crimes.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really hate this show. I've tried to watch it a few times because I like the other L&Os but his character is just plain obnoxious, not to mention kinda creepy.

RollaJ
03-03-2005, 02:02 PM
The shield and its not even close to being a discussion

jakethebake
03-03-2005, 02:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Does anything here ever come close to resembling an actual discussion?

commodore64
03-03-2005, 02:12 PM
its the shield and no it isn't even close. but i think plenty of voters here haven't seen it. for whatever reason the show doesn't get the publicity it deserves. whoever hasn't seen an episode do yourself a favor and rent season 1. i guarantee you will be hooked.

as for the votes for svu, how can people take that show seriously with ice-t on it. i mean this guy for 15 years was a hardcore gangsta rappa with such songs to his credit as cop-killer and plenty other anti police songs. does nbc even do background checks?

Shajen
03-03-2005, 02:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
its the shield and no it isn't even close. but i think plenty of voters here haven't seen it. for whatever reason the show doesn't get the publicity it deserves. whoever hasn't seen an episode do yourself a favor and rent season 1. i guarantee you will be hooked.

as for the votes for svu, how can people take that show seriously with ice-t on it. i mean this guy for 15 years was a hardcore gangsta rappa with such songs to his credit as cop-killer and plenty other anti police songs. does nbc even do background checks?

[/ QUOTE ]

People get older, more mature. Is Ice-T not allowed to. It's acting. Not like he's a real cop.

jakethebake
03-03-2005, 02:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

People get older, more mature. Is Ice-T not allowed to. It's acting. Not like he's a real cop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or a real actor. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

commodore64
03-03-2005, 02:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

so if i were to write songs about molesting little children. and then 15 years later a tv network wants to make a show with me being a nanny on it for young children then its okay because i can just say that i'm more mature now.

taking nothing away from svu. maybe it is a good show, but i just can't take ice-t seriously knowing his past. to me you don't go from wanting to kill cops to maturing to the point where now you love cops. big swings....standard deviation pretty high on this one

Ianco15
03-03-2005, 02:34 PM
The Shield is by far the best police drama on tv and it wasnt even listed in the poll!

RollaJ
03-07-2005, 12:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think SVU is the second best out there(Assuming 24 and CSI dont count as "Police" Dramas"

lucas9000
03-07-2005, 12:52 PM
i was the only one who voted for chips???
http://www.encyclopediadramatica.com/images/5/50/Eric_estrada_you%5C%27re_a_homo.jpg

Screwtape
03-07-2005, 01:57 PM
she can frisk me

WC64
03-07-2005, 02:27 PM
What about New York Undercover /images/graemlins/grin.gif

ethan
03-08-2005, 04:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd somehow managed not to have heard about this show until this thread. Wow it's good.

NLSoldier
03-08-2005, 04:06 AM
edit-I didnt notice the stipulation "POLICE" drama...sorry.

SinCityGuy
03-08-2005, 07:11 AM
How could you leave T.J. Hooker off of this list? Not only the best police drama of all time, but perhaps the best T.V. show of all time.

housenuts
03-08-2005, 07:49 AM
Numb3rs

WillMagic
03-08-2005, 08:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
It's "The Wire" hands down. It's the best show on TV period, hence it's the best police-themed show.

"The Shield" is a phenomenally great show and it's a distant second.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is no doubt that this is the case. The Wire is the best show on television now...and the best television show that I have ever seen. If you haven't seen the Wire, you are simply not qualified to answer the question. If you have seen the Wire and didn't vote for it...you have no taste.

Either way something needs to be fixed.

Oh, and for the why?

- 15-20 solid, interesting, thoroughly developed characters.

- The best tv "villain" of the last ten years in Stringer Bell.

- The complex, intriguing, innovative, and above all, realistic plots and dialogue.

- "Get on with it, motherf...."

That's all for now. Blockbuster probably won't have it because they suck. If you have a Netflix queue season 1 should move to the top. If you don't, well, go spend 200 bucks to buy seasons 1 and 2 on DVD.

It's worth it.

Will