PDA

View Full Version : Book for NL. Better book than Harrington's for regular NL?

henkeee
02-28-2005, 04:54 PM
Hi!

I'm looking for a NL book. I'm new to NL, but I don't want easy reading. I want the best NL book! Harrington's seems to be liked by many, but is there a better book if you're not especially interested in tournaments?

/henke

Rudbaeck
02-28-2005, 05:45 PM
Pot Limit & No Limit by Reuben and Ciaffone.
SuperSystem 2, the section by Doyle Brunson.

Both are required reading, but moving from the text to actual application in games can be hard work. Plenty is left for you to work out yourself.

jtnt1096
02-28-2005, 05:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Both are required reading, but moving from the text to actual application in games can be hard work. Plenty is left for you to work out yourself.

[/ QUOTE ]

I Agree. Those are the two books I recommend when friends ask about NL cash game books.

maurile
02-28-2005, 06:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Both are excellent, but I wouldn't say they're necessarily better than Harrington's first book (which is very good even if you're not interested in tournaments).

Just read all three.

henkeee
02-28-2005, 07:41 PM
Thanks!

But I'm only going to buy one now, since I also will buy a new
limit book (I will probably play mostly limit in the future too). So, if you would buy only one, which one would it be? Or, what is the main difference between them?

jojobinks
02-28-2005, 07:47 PM
if you're new to nl, i recommend hoh.

maurile
02-28-2005, 07:54 PM
If I could just get one I'd get Harrington's book because it is the most comprehensive of the three. Even though the focus is on tournaments, book 1 is on the early stages of a tournament when you really wouldn't play a particular hand any differently from how you'd play it in a ring game. The Harrington book gives specific advice on pre-flop play, and walks you through the thinking process of how to put people on hands and make proper decisions on each street.

Brunson's chapter is much more brief, but his advice is very good. Brunson gives you a particular approach to the game -- a very aggressive one that works for him -- while Harrington describes several different approaches (including a tight approach and an aggressive approach). Brunson gives some particular advice about how to play certain hands, and how to stay out of trouble with problem hands. But he doesn't walk you through numerous hand examples the way Harrington does.

The Ciaffone & Reuben book is more general in its advice, but is also very good. The strongest part of this book is in considering stack sizes -- describing how a certain bet from a smallish stack can mean something completely different from an identical bet from a bigger stack, etc. This book is also relatively brief compared to Harrington's, especially the parts that apply specifically to hold 'em.

In short, all three books are very good. But I'd go with Harrington's for its breadth & depth if I could just get one.

bweiser8311962
02-28-2005, 11:45 PM
I read SuperSystem over Christmas and was not impressed. Brunson's recommendation is great if you can burn through money ... It's basically win big, lose big to me.

Walter Pullis
03-01-2005, 10:30 AM
No matter what book you get, if you are new to NL, play tournaments first! Otherwise you will lose your shirt.

MonkeeMan
03-01-2005, 07:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
In short, all three books are very good. But I'd go with Harrington's for its breadth & depth if I could just get one.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree 100%.

JimmyJazz1
03-02-2005, 02:29 AM
hoh?

JimmyJazz1
03-02-2005, 02:49 AM
Anyone know what the difference is between Supersystem 1 and Super system 2?

KaBoom
03-02-2005, 04:30 AM
Nothing. Doyle thought his advice from the 70's was still good and solid for todays games as well. I heard he possibly had a losing year in 2004 so maybe he should reconsider and write SS3.

Maybe if you play Doyles style in Party's new 6-max 1000NL games you might make it against good players.

KaBoom
03-02-2005, 04:33 AM
Harrington on Holdem

Rudbaeck
03-02-2005, 09:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

In the NL chapter? As far as I can tell there are no more annoying italics and bold words in every paragraph.

Beach-Whale
03-02-2005, 08:12 PM
I liked those.

tek
03-05-2005, 05:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

In the NL chapter? As far as I can tell there are no more annoying italics and bold words in every paragraph.

[/ QUOTE ]

How about those quaint line drawings?

Worldclass
03-10-2005, 03:05 PM
The way it stands now, Harington's Book is the top for NL Holdem Tournaments. Super System & Pot Limit & No Limit Poker are the two books on NL cash games. You need to understand that in SS, Brunson talks about deep stack play mostly. There are no books that address your typical baby NL game. I think that will change eventually.

Joltman
03-10-2005, 07:29 PM
You really need to be careful about adopting Doyle's Super System strategy for NL games. IMHO, it's really more suited toward high limit and/or weak/tight tables. At the lower limits, you'll need to make some adjustments, because you won't be able to get opponents to fold a better hand nearly as often and that's where a lot of the profit comes from in his strategy.

turnipmonster
03-11-2005, 05:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
because you won't be able to get opponents to fold a better hand nearly as often and that's where a lot of the profit comes from in his strategy.

[/ QUOTE ]

reread the section, this is not at all what he says.

-Skeme-
03-15-2005, 01:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You really need to be careful about adopting Doyle's Super System strategy for NL games. IMHO, it's really more suited toward high limit and/or weak/tight tables. At the lower limits, you'll need to make some adjustments, because you won't be able to get opponents to fold a better hand nearly as often and that's where a lot of the profit comes from in his strategy.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought his whole strategy was being super aggressive and raising with draws just so he could hit hands, which is why people were always calling him lucky?

turnipmonster
03-15-2005, 03:41 PM
strike two!

gomberg
03-15-2005, 06:52 PM
you can ignore the first 1/2 of the section about general philosophy and look how he plays specific types of hands - that's where his advice is generally very, very good if you use it in the right way.