PDA

View Full Version : Listening to headphones while playing...

PITTM
02-28-2005, 04:50 PM
now that i am sitting here playing poker for like 2 hours a day i decided to buy a nice set of headphones (Etymotic Research ER-6) and a headphone amp, listening to beautifully crisp music while playing really helps keep away from tilt quite a bit, i would recommend spending a few bucks on a good pair of headphones too.

rj

beernutz
02-28-2005, 05:08 PM
Even though Daryn thinks they are like Dixie cups compared to the SR-125s /images/graemlins/grin.gif I really enjoy listening to my Grado SR-80s. My personal opinion is that they are the nicest headphones to be had for under $100.

[ QUOTE ]
now that i am sitting here playing poker for like 2 hours a day i decided to buy a nice set of headphones (Etymotic Research ER-6) and a headphone amp, listening to beautifully crisp music while playing really helps keep away from tilt quite a bit, i would recommend spending a few bucks on a good pair of headphones too.

rj

[/ QUOTE ]

Uglyowl
02-28-2005, 06:25 PM
Why not just regular speakers?

astroglide
02-28-2005, 06:44 PM
simple: speakers are much less likely to give you hearing damage

prrthd
02-28-2005, 06:48 PM
I will second the Grado SR-80's. I have had my pair for over a year and I still enjoy listening to them.

MicroBob
02-28-2005, 07:00 PM
Not to hijack the thread or anything....(which means I'm going to hijack it of course) but you have had a number of posts related to tilt and attempts at tilt-control (throwing the keyboard down the stairs...or was it the printer?? I can't remember).

I can't help but think that this tilting stuff is a pretty serious issue for you and that a pair of headphones with soothing tunes will only go so far to solving the problem.

Sometimes I recommend that those who are so tilt-prone might want to just consider playing much lower than they are currently as they get used to the game...or something like that.
If you're tilting at all the beats at $200 NL or higher then it's kind of tough to go on tilt from a tough beat on the $25 NL tables is my logic....simply because the losses should be REALLY insignificant to you at that limit...which is kind of supposed to be the point.

But I know this isn't the reasoning behind some people's tilt either....as I recall, you had a some sort of issue after getting busted-out of a paradise free-roll or $1 tourney or something. Not sure...might be remembering incorrectly.

I know I have discipline problems too sometimes...and you are to be commended for your honesty in your posts regarding your tilt episodes...but it seems to me something that is still a serious issue in your play.

I'm not exactly watching over your shoulder though so I don't really know.

Blackjack
02-28-2005, 07:00 PM
5$ at radio shack baby.

beernutz
03-01-2005, 12:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Why not just regular speakers?

[/ QUOTE ]

Two preteens within listening distance of the poker computer + a preference for late night poker playing + the only way to appreciate Iggy Pop is loudly = Headphones

MicroBob
03-01-2005, 12:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
the only way to appreciate Iggy Pop is loudly

[/ QUOTE ]

Have to agree with this one.
Raw Power Baby!!

Exsubmariner
03-01-2005, 12:30 AM
Sound advice from a self admitted mediocre player.
Kudos Bob.
We now return to our regularly scheduled 20,000th two plus two post this year.....

PITTM
03-01-2005, 07:32 PM
because my 100 dollar etymotic headphones plus 60 dollar headphone amp produce sound comparable to a 1000 dollar traditional speaker system. headphone buying is really all about the fact that for about 5 times less than a speaker system you can get just as good sound. plus my neighbors like headphones more i assume...

rj

PITTM
03-01-2005, 07:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Not to hijack the thread or anything....(which means I'm going to hijack it of course) but you have had a number of posts related to tilt and attempts at tilt-control (throwing the keyboard down the stairs...or was it the printer?? I can't remember).

I can't help but think that this tilting stuff is a pretty serious issue for you and that a pair of headphones with soothing tunes will only go so far to solving the problem.

Sometimes I recommend that those who are so tilt-prone might want to just consider playing much lower than they are currently as they get used to the game...or something like that.
If you're tilting at all the beats at $200 NL or higher then it's kind of tough to go on tilt from a tough beat on the $25 NL tables is my logic....simply because the losses should be REALLY insignificant to you at that limit...which is kind of supposed to be the point.

But I know this isn't the reasoning behind some people's tilt either....as I recall, you had a some sort of issue after getting busted-out of a paradise free-roll or $1 tourney or something. Not sure...might be remembering incorrectly.

I know I have discipline problems too sometimes...and you are to be commended for your honesty in your posts regarding your tilt episodes...but it seems to me something that is still a serious issue in your play.

I'm not exactly watching over your shoulder though so I don't really know.

[/ QUOTE ]

no, i agree completely, in my early days up until about 6 months ago i had a huge anger problem that was mostly compounded by playing with a short bankroll. Now that i have a better bankroll, a better understanding of the game and have done quite a bit of self-reflection i have found that i am a happier person and that i have much more control over my emotions. i do think tilt control is one of the biggest aspects of the game since you generally should be thinking completely clearly in order to play your best and tilt prevents one from doing that. anyways, thanks for the advice, not just for me but for others who read this and can take some of the advice if they have the same problems i did/may still unconciously have.

i think my early days problem was that i wanted to win every hand i was ahead in. if i were in a 52%/48% coinflip and lost i would be so enraged when i lost i could hardly see straight. However, i think all of those experiences gave me a better understanding of the game and my emotions and has helped me deal with the problems accordingly. i am not trying to say that i am completely tilt free at all times, because i am certainly not. i am just happy seeing the problem being slowly and steadily fixed, as i can look back over the last year and realize the improvements ive made that have helped me with poker and even everyday life.

rj

PS. it was a printer, but it was broken and i was gonna throw it out anyways. it was pretty cool seeing it shatter anyways, haha.

MicroBob
03-01-2005, 07:43 PM
nice post.

poker-penguin
03-01-2005, 08:49 PM
Hehe, I have music in one earbud, watch TV, carry out a conversation with my flatmates *and* read 2+2 while folding my way through a cursed one table only site's bonus.

Some people just need to multitask. I couldn't have headphones on both ears, I'd keep getting weirded out by not being able to hear the world in general.