PDA

View Full Version : 77 - call it down?

Sadat X
02-28-2005, 03:14 PM
Average table, SB is new to the table and BB is TAG. Did I go too far with this? Should I call the 3-bet preflop? How about the turn? Comments on all streets welcome.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 7/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, Hero calls, SB calls.

Flop: (9 SB) Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 5/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, BB calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (7.50 BB) 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB folds, Hero calls.

River: (9.50 BB) J/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 11.50 BB

pshabi
02-28-2005, 03:24 PM
I would 3 bet the flop with position, hoping that it doesn't get capped. I'd be hoping for a free turn card.

If it's capped, I'll call, hoping to improve. If I don't improve, or get the free card, I'm done.

Fat Nicky
02-28-2005, 03:26 PM
my instincts say to fold when it's 2 more back to you pre-flop. doesn't seem like your have the implied odds to hit your set.

other than that, fold to the turn bet.

ScottTheFish
02-28-2005, 03:32 PM
I would fold when it's 2 more back to me preflop, unless I KNEW one or both of these guys will pay my set off huge.

SB CR's into a preflop 3-bettor, I don't think he has AK. I would fold the turn. You make a lot of money from people calling you down with medium PP's they can't get away from...don't return the favor* /images/graemlins/grin.gif

*Not saying you can never call down with 77 of course...but I don't think this is the hand for it.

mr pink
02-28-2005, 03:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I would 3 bet the flop with position, hoping that it doesn't get capped. I'd be hoping for a free turn card.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is pretty LAGGish given the circumstances.

TMFS9
02-28-2005, 03:35 PM
Anybody else think that checking this flop would be better than betting. It just seems like you're going to be checked raised an awful lot and sometimes by worse hands given the preflop action. I'm not trying to be results oriented but after an initial raiser get's 3 bet they generally check raise the preflop 3 better with a wide range of hands. What about about check the flop a raise a blank on the turn?

ScottTheFish
02-28-2005, 03:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Chip Spewery, IMO. These are not random limpers...they rasied and 3-bet preflop.

brettbrettr
02-28-2005, 03:44 PM
I like betting, but I think you have to find a fold after the raise.

Sadat X
02-28-2005, 03:44 PM
I guess there was something fishy about the way this hand was played, specifically on the flop.

Lets go back to before the flop: The only reasonable raising hand for SB that hit this flop is AQ. He would likely cap if he held AA or KK. 66 or 55 is also a possibility.

Now, on the flop he checks a big made hand? Maybe he's going for the CR on BB, but maybe he sees me bet it in last position and tries to make a move and take down a decent-sized pot. That was my thinking at least - either AQ or a bluff, I figured I'd take my chances in this large pot.

Edit: SB raised PF, not 3-bet.

ScottTheFish
02-28-2005, 03:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
That was my thinking at least - either AQ or a bluff, I figured I'd take my chances in this large pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Too narrow a range to put him on. SB didn't 3-bet, he raised and called a 3-bet. I think he could easily have 88-JJ and is raising your bet to try and push out BB.

If I had 88-JJ I would have played my hand just like SB did. Maybe that line sucks with those hands, but that's how I would usually play it.

mr pink
02-28-2005, 03:56 PM
i think it's more likely that he raised something like AQ in the small blind, it got 3-bet by the big blind, which scared him off. so he checked top pair on the flop to see what the bigblind was 3-betting preflop with. the big blind checks the flop, you bet, the small blind realizes he probably has the best hand and now decides to raise.

i think i fold the turn UI

Sadat X
02-28-2005, 04:08 PM
I must admit I hadn't thought of SB checkraising with 88-JJ. It's a pretty bold move for an unknown, don't you think?

I agree with the posters that said this is fold preflop when faced with calling two more bets cold. I'm not completely sold on folding the turn however. I think it's pretty close at about 4-1 on the call down, although I am leaning a little more towards folding.

Results: SB shows T5 for a pair of fives and MHIG. The fishy play pays off /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Trix
02-28-2005, 04:09 PM
I fold preflop, not sure about the flop bet though, depends how I think SB will play the turn if I check. Betting is probably ok without a read on him. Fold the turn.

The river I call since I got there..

Fat Nicky
02-28-2005, 04:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What about about check the flop a raise a blank on the turn?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't like this line

This just gets you 3-betted most of the time by someone who whiffed on a flop c/r.

ScottTheFish
02-28-2005, 04:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I must admit I hadn't thought of SB checkraising with 88-JJ. It's a pretty bold move for an unknown, don't you think?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not as bold as doing it with T5 /images/graemlins/grin.gif Glad you won the hand, but I doubt you're ahead often enough here in the long run. Make a note on SB. Follow him around like a lost puppy. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif