PDA

View Full Version : Nothing you can do.... shortstacked idiots. (low low low content)

kurto
02-28-2005, 02:22 PM
I don't think there's any solutions... but thought I'd put it out there. Its irksome. (warning..rambling post. Though some make identify with it.)

$25NL PS
Here's the situation... I'm in late position. 2 short stacks limp, Villain has a large stack (~40) and who has played tight throughout raises to $1.50. Hero (~30) calls on button w pocket 8s for set value. Small stack in the SB (~$4) goes all in. Another small stack in the BB (~$4) calls... 1 of the other limpers calls/the other folds... Original Raiser re-reraises it to $15.

This is what drives me nuts. I know the orig. raiser is good. On his raise, I put him on an overpair (based on his 6xbb raise). If the 2 small stacks weren't complete morons, they would deduce the guy has real stength. But let's just say they're the small stacks for a reason. I know they're all beat by the orig raiser. All their horrendous all-ins did was give the orig. raiser a chance for a reraise (further confirming his high pp, in my mind.)

So now I have to call a $12 bet for ~$15 pot.... I don't really have the odds to call anymore.

/images/graemlins/mad.gif *** sometimes I've started the practice of not calling with speculative hands if there are short-stacks ahead of me. Do you know how you can sometimes predict when these players will make a boneheaded all-in move just because their stack is low?!? (its so typical... they go all-in and 95% of the type they show crap... get 1 or 2 callers, lose then leave on a bad note... not before flipping over their K-3 suited, of course) Note- its not the all-in bets I'm worried about... its everyone else who will call their bets I'm concerned about.

In the hand above, I can't raise them out because I know the original raiser will likely checkraise if he has what I think he does. I want to play my hand. The minute they do the god awful all-in, its screwed my play. (What kills me is you know as their making the move, that they have almost no chance of winning, so they're throwing away their stack as well as screwing up the hand for everyone but the guy who originally raised.)

As the hand played out... I stupidly called the raise. (with the one limper and original raiser with more of a stack... if I flopped, I could still add to the pot, though not enough to have really justified the call) Long story short...SURPRISE, the original raiser had pocket Aces. The 2 shortstacks had crap and left. The original raiser takes an enormous pot that really shouldn't have gotten that large.

I really don't know what I'm looking for from the forum. There's no way to stop bad players from screwing up a hand you want to play, is there?

Similar- 3 players A B C. You are B. You have a decent draw against A. You know C blows and has crap. A bets enough to make your draw worthwhile. You call..C raises. Now C has no business raising, (at showdown, if he shows he will have the worst of the 3 hands) but he's now priced your draw out... You are forced to fold. At the end, your draw mad it (but you folded)... but A beats C (C had bottom pair or some junk like that). Hence... terrible player C ruins hand even though he had very little chance of winning it.

Anyone else have fear of bad-players with small stacks? (note... heads up I love them... its these situations in Multiplayer pots when I hate them)

Tilt
02-28-2005, 02:36 PM
That is an awful call you made. Just terrible.

To answer your dilemma, just don't call preflop if you have a few short stacks behind you to act. Its that simple.

kurto
02-28-2005, 03:34 PM
You're not going to find an argument out of me. I know it was terrible.

"To answer your dilemma, just don't call preflop if you have a few short stacks behind you to act. Its that simple." Though that may be the best answer, it feels weak. I hate being pushed out of a hand by someone who I know likely has the worst hand... AFTER the best hand at the table lets me in cheap. But... there's really nothing, I suppose, that I can do.