PDA

View Full Version : NL cash game questions

jojobinks
02-28-2005, 02:12 PM
we've done exclusively tournament for about a year, and are just beginning to play around with NL cash.

#1) How deep are buy-ins at most home nl cash games? last night (oscars kinda sucked) we bought in for 20bb, and it was clearly not enough. 50bb? 100bb? what's deep?

#2) how do you figure out how big to make the blinds? let's say we want to keep losses under $60. then we say, what, 3 buy ins for a big loser, so $20 buy in, and then go backwards to figure out how many BB we want to have?

how do you do it?

jtr
02-28-2005, 02:16 PM
Decide how big you want the buyin to be, and then make the big blind 1% of that. If necessary / convenient for chip denomination reasons, have the big and small blinds be the same.

smoore
02-28-2005, 02:18 PM
I play a $25 max game with .10/.25 blinds. If you didn't want to have the .05 chips for the small blind you could just make it a .25/.25 blind. Some people buy in short for $10 and that's fine for them. I also have a "newbie game" sometimes with a $10 max and .05/.10 blinds. I use the same set for tournaments and we play the actual amount of buy in for initial chips. I use the same blind structure no matter how much the buy in.... $5 buy in = $5 in chips and the blinds start at .05/.10... $20 buy in = $20 in chips and the blinds start at .05/.10... if I ever get people to play for more than $20 I'll have to change it.

I think that 50BB is a little short, 100BB is just right and 200BB would be "deep".

ky70
02-28-2005, 03:10 PM
If you guys don't mind a few more questions...I've been toying with this idea too but some of threads I've read around here confused me so I dropped it.

Here are things I need clarification on:
1) Does the cash game work out well if you allow the same all-in option just like in tourney games?
2) How are rebuys and add-ons handled?
3) Do the blinds ever go up or do you keep them at where they started?

Thanks!

jojobinks
02-28-2005, 03:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you guys don't mind a few more questions...I've been toying with this idea too but some of threads I've read around here confused me so I dropped it.

Here are things I need clarification on:
1) Does the cash game work out well if you allow the same all-in option just like in tourney games?
2) How are rebuys and add-ons handled?
3) Do the blinds ever go up or do you keep them at where they started?

Thanks!

[/ QUOTE ]

my game:
all in rules are the same.

a full rebuy is allowed anytime you go under half your buy-in.

blinds don't move.

ky70
02-28-2005, 04:41 PM
THANKS!!! I think I'm ready to give it a go now.

Gbob
02-28-2005, 05:34 PM
All in is a very big part of a good cash game. We allow unlimited buy-ins, which gets expensive for the fish, and you can buy in whenever you feel like. The advantage of this is that it rewards good players at the expense of the bad. Who could argue against people bringing in more money?

Because we play dealers choice, we don't play with blinds. We have a .25 ante, which is doesn't matter except when there's a full table. Average buy-in is between 40-100 dollars. Normally there's 500-900 dollars in the bank before people start to cash out.

Cash games are more rewarding than tourney style. Dumb luck doesn't make as much of a difference in the long run since everyone values every chip they have.

Fins
02-28-2005, 06:14 PM
For a $60 max loss, I'd go with either 10¢/20¢ (or 10¢/25¢) with a min buy-in of $10 and a max of $20 ($25 with the higher blinds).

Fairly common is min = 40-50BB & max = 100BB.

Rebuy at any time to the max (change if this gets obnoxious to only at half stack or such).

If your rebuys get out of hand lower to 5¢/10¢ with $5min $10-15max.

Blinds are always the same.

For NL the blinds are the limits i.e. small = 10¢ & big = 20¢ and do not double on 4th & 5th streets e.g. in a 10¢/20¢ NLHE game all streets are 20¢. In a limit game 10¢/20¢ blinds are 5¢/10¢ and pre-flop/flop bets are 10¢ & turn/river are 20¢ capping typically at a bet & 3 raises (i.e. 12 BB max bets per game per person).

My 2¢,
Fins

smoore
03-01-2005, 04:13 PM
Blinds never rise in a cash game, I allow people to buy up to the max at any time... you pay your blinds and want to top off your stack? no problem. I prefer to always have the max in front of me so I'm not going to begrudge anyone.

Fins
03-01-2005, 05:55 PM
I guess I should clarify that you should be able to reload at any time but not during a hand as I would consider this...
[ QUOTE ]
you pay your blinds and want to top off your stack? no problem. I prefer to always have the max in front of me so I'm not going to begrudge anyone.

[/ QUOTE ]

- Fins

smoore
03-01-2005, 07:07 PM
oh, no... I assumed we were talking about a table stakes situation since if you're playing out of pocket there's no reason to ever reload. I only play table stakes so no one could ever put more money on the table during a hand.

lawpoker
03-01-2005, 07:21 PM
we've also been playing tournaments for about a year now. a couple other guys and myself would like to move to NL cash. any ideas on how to convince the others to make the move? i think the reason they like tournaments is that once they're out, no one can pressure them to rebuy and get back in the game. they have a predetermined loss limit with tournaments and feel comfortable with that.

help please?!?

jzpiano14
03-01-2005, 08:38 PM
Put a limit on the # of rebuys, usually your origonal plus 1 extra rebuy, hope that helps!