PDA

View Full Version : attention halo 2 nerds

lucas9000
02-28-2005, 02:01 PM
i need help with my multiplayer game...i consistently get rocked playing slayer, team slayer, etc. any tips to help a n00b get better?

i'm sick of 14 year olds talking [censored] when they kick my ass.

OrangeHeat
02-28-2005, 02:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is why I hate playing Starcraft, Warcraft, etc.. the little freaks spend 6 hours a day on the game.

Nothing better than having your wife pick up on this phenomenom. "ohh..what's wrong, the kiddies beating you again?" "*%&*&%*"

Orange

AngryCola
02-28-2005, 02:12 PM
Turn up your stick sensitivity, work on using cover, and pray.

swede123
02-28-2005, 02:14 PM
I don't play Halo 2, but I have played most PC based FPS games in the past and overall I too get smoked by all the lewt little ones.

Ultimately I have to contribute it to less playing time. These teenagers w/o jobs or other hobbies simply put in ten times as much time as I do playing, which means they are simply better at the game.

I find that I can sometimes hold my own better when it comes to strategy type games, where sound tactics matter more than split time reflexes and muscle memory.

I guess my suggestion is: play more.

Swede

pshreck
02-28-2005, 02:16 PM
Not to sound arrogant, but if you don't really have much natural talent at a video game, why play it? Any game I wasnt particularly great at (starcraft, and I still dont know why), I just didnt enjoy much. I admit that the game didnt fit my style and I moved on.

Reef
02-28-2005, 02:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
play more.

[/ QUOTE ]

Prof. Chaos
02-28-2005, 02:18 PM
sounds like you are a quiter.

lucas9000
02-28-2005, 02:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
play more.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i have a very demanding full-time job. logging hours on the xbox is not exactly my top priority. i know practice makes perfect, but i was just looking for tips, like the suggestion to turn up the stick sensitivity.

AngryCola
02-28-2005, 02:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
like the suggestion to turn up the stick sensitivity.

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you left it on the default?

If so, that could be one of your biggest problems.
It's just impossible to turn fast enough using the default setting, IMO.
I believe mine is set on 6 or 7, if memory serves.

Macdaddy Warsaw
02-28-2005, 02:35 PM
I'd like to think I'm pretty good at the game. Increasing stick sensitivity is a good start, it'll help you turn and fire faster on your foe, I have it to the second highest setting.

Besides aiming well, I think weapon selection and choosing your battles is most important. Try not to get into fights without at least an SMG/Energy Rifle. I like the energy pistol charged shot fire/switch to battle rifle shot to the head. Instant kill if the pistol hits and you can get a good shot on their head. I'm really starting to like the energy rifle/magnum combo as well. Just take down their shields and shoot at their head once they're down.

Remember to constantly use your radar. I have lots of friends who always played Halo 1 with no radar on. They have such a disadvantage now because it's too simple to just sneak up on them.

Finally, learn how to use a sniper rifle/beam rifle. I was never that good but I've been picking it up more and more and it's pretty sweet.

Also, the battle rifle is one of the most amazing weapons of the game assuming you can accurately put the bullets in their head area and you're on a mid-sized map (Zanzibar comes to mind).

Finally, this is a little advanced, but you can actually learn some weapon spawn times. The rockets on Ascension always respawn I think it's 1:30 after their last pickup. Since they get picked up almost immediately after they spawn, you can pretty much time when rockets will be in their area. That means you can camp their 10 seconds beforehand and kill anyone who comes down there and then take the rockets yourself.

Man, I can go for some Halo now...

AngryCola
02-28-2005, 02:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Increasing stick sensitivity is a good start, it'll help you turn and fire faster on your foe, I have it to the second highest setting.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow!
Now that's fast.

[ QUOTE ]
Besides aiming well, I think weapon selection and choosing your battles is most important. Try not to get into fights without at least an SMG/Energy Rifle. I like the energy pistol charged shot fire/switch to battle rifle shot to the head. Instant kill if the pistol hits and you can get a good shot on their head. I'm really starting to like the energy rifle/magnum combo as well. Just take down their shields and shoot at their head once they're down.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is solid advice. Weapon combinations are crucial.

[ QUOTE ]
Remember to constantly use your radar. I have lots of friends who always played Halo 1 with no radar on. They have such a disadvantage now because it's too simple to just sneak up on them.

[/ QUOTE ]

I sort of assumed he already knew this, but I shouldn't have done so. Great advice!

bd8802
02-28-2005, 03:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i need help with my multiplayer game...i consistently get rocked playing slayer, team slayer, etc. any tips to help a n00b get better?

[/ QUOTE ]

Halo 2 is a power-gamer type game. You have to get the good guns and get them fast. You are not going to kill anyone with the default SMG unless they suck horribly, or you are stealing somone else's kill. If you can not get the shotgun, rocket launcher, sword, ect right away; find a good dual wielding combo. For instance, dual needlers is not a bad combo in a big wide open map. The gun that you can charge up for one big hit + the SMG is not bad. You charge up the big shot and hit someone to knock off their sheild and kill them with the SMG.

Learning the benifits of jumping and ducking is good too. I like to duck when people have the shotgun, and jump when they have stuff like the rocket launcher.

I was gettin ggod at Halo 2 untill I moved, and did not get to play for like a month. Now I suck again compared to people online, but I all my friends. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

/bd

bugstud
02-28-2005, 03:20 PM
playing with teammates that don't suck is one of them.

MY team slayer thoughts...

Colossus - Have your team get the beam rifle then go hide in a corner and snipe everyone

Ascenion - Rockets and sniper are key here. Controlling the rockets and a sniper allows banshee fun and sniping.

Beaver Creek - You can win this one without rockets and sniper because of the general middle melee aspect. However, the rockets are good for 3-4 cheap kills and a well placed sniper does wonders.

Midship - Sword is good but overrated here. Shotgun is really important, but the Battle Rifles and plasma pistols only spawn in two places, so getting those is key. If you stuck plasma rifling slap them once the shields are down instead of trying to plasma them to death.

Lockout - sword owns here, I think only one Battle Rifle so that's cruical, sniper IMO is near worthless. It's too easy to counteract even if you get everyone by the battle rifle spawn. Camping noted travel spots with a good weapon generally gets you a lot of kills...and the bottom room under the sniper is generally as massive orgy regardless of game type.

Foundation - Rockets are key here. Blowing up the other turret and keeping a team on one side if you have botyh rockets pretty much ends it. One of the more fun maps for team rockets or rocket slayer though.

Burial Mounds - Worst map of the bunch. You grab the beam rifle or the other sniper, and snipe anyone that appears. Controlling the rockets allow for your team to own with the ghost. Simple stuff.

Zanzibar - Sniper/Rockets/BR are still key here. An assload of sniper positions makes it harder to stop snipers if they know their way around.

Ivory tower - bust f$%^&ing map of the group, imo You have a sword and rockets as the main weapons. There is a fun sniper spot or too, but until you're my teammate I'm not detailing them /images/graemlins/grin.gif Battles happen mostly by the sword early, then at the top of the lift afterwards. It's not easy to defend but holding a shotgun or sword here can often decimate the other team as they charge.

Notice a pattern yet? /images/graemlins/grin.gif Preventing the opps from getting rockets snipers swords or battle rifles is pretty much the key. Having teammates that stick together and don't one by one charge the beam rifle on Colossus really helps. When you kill 20 guys and still lose because the rest of the team goes 5/15 each, I tend to go on tilt.

Macdaddy Warsaw
02-28-2005, 04:45 PM
I still like the energy rifle/magnum. So good on lockout, ivory tower, and creek. You seem to have forgotten coagulation...aka Snipesville. Just get a sniper rifle and hold on. Or get a ghost and hope your team controls rocks.

I like Colossus a lot, just because of the tactics involved. Usually it goes the way you say, one team in a corner and the other team has to rush. It's a well made map though because there are so many ways to attack either corner and the better team will always end up with control of the beam rifle.

dibbs
02-28-2005, 09:52 PM
Like most games the more time you log the better you'll get as long as you're noticing and sticking to tactics that work well, and weeding out the foolish ones.

Many don't seem to realize it, but good aim is so, so crucial in this game. If you and an opponent are equally matched weapons wise, the guy plugging away at the others head and not missing will own him, even if the other had the jump and gets splattered body shots.

The plasma pistol and Magnum combo is absolutely devastating if your aim is good. Taking on a sword close range you'll still have an advantage if you master a perfect headshot after you drop his sheild with this. At first I would probably try and get used to a plasma pistol/SMG combo though as it is a little easier to use if your aim isn't all that great. Locking on with the plasma pistol on Live is a little more tricky it seems, you'll get used to it.

Like another poster said, get the good weapons as fast as you can. Don't use the sword as a primary weapon, get a good combo and use it to surprise guys when they charge you after they think you've run out of ammo.

This is just kind of my personal weapons preference, I know guys that are incredibly sick with two Plasma Rifles or two Needlers, I just haven't had the greatest success with them. Experimentation is good though.

Vulture kills- pretty cheap but important I guess, if you see two or three guys ripping each other up, don't charge them, wait til they're all almost dead, huck some grenades or finish one off after the other dies. Cheap and easy multiple kills.

In team games ALWAYS stick with your team unless you get really sick, a unified team will almost always murder a sloppy/unorganized one. When you get really nasty, you can kind of wander off on your own with the snipe or whatever, until then always have back up or be backing someone up. And don't be a hero, if you know one of your teammates is a much better player than you, just give him back up, doesn't matter if you don't get as many kills, as long as your team wins, you win.

Don't be too cocky to run, if you get really lit up in a fight and you know the chance of you taking the guy down is slim to none, just run and let your sheild recharge. Use cover and good judgement to get as few deaths as possible.

An excercise that I feel really REALLY helps your aim and your playing ability in general is beating the game on Legendary, or at least tackle half of it or so. It has to be almost impossible to beat these levels on this setting without perfecting your headshot accuracy and use of the plasma pistol. It also teaches you that taking cover and using timing is incredibly important. Just a thought.

Oh yea, and knowing the maps up and down obviously, you probably got this down though.

Sorry I rambled, good luck though.