PDA

View Full Version : Well, I finally did it

ClonexxSA
02-28-2005, 01:14 PM
After months and months of procrastination and turning over pros and cons in my head, I finally decided and ordered poker chips.

I was turning over in my head whether to get the cheaper nextgens and do labels or maybe pokerchips.com spotted chips custom or maybe non custom to go cheaper. Then recently the new paulson's came out and added even more to my problems of deciding =)

Today though I finally weighed out cost vs. quality and decided to do pokerchips.com horsehead mold spotted chips, no custom graphics, just plain chips. At .50 cents each, I really couldn't argue on the price for what I was getting. I am fully aware of the lead time involved in getting the chips, but it seems that 90% of the people who ordered and eventually get their chips are extremely happy with them.

I went with :

250 Green w/ Dayglow Pink spots
200 Red w/ Arc Yellow spots
150 Black w/ Dayglow Yellow spots
100 Purple w/ Dayglow Green spots
50 White w/ Purple spots

Total came to $391 including shipping. I just can't argue with that =)

Now I just have to pick up a nice wood case for them (probably the 750 chip Mahogany case..anyone have a link to that?) and then I am done.

No more procrastinating =)

Lumpy
02-28-2005, 01:31 PM
Have you already placed this order? I ask because I have been told in the past that they will not do blank horsehead's, even thought others have gotten them.

msb
02-28-2005, 03:05 PM
Clone,

I am in the exact same position right now that you were in months ago...

I think I am going to end up making the same decision as you... blank horseheads from pokerchips.com. At $.50 a piece, that is a huge bargain over ~$1.00/chip for custom inlays.

Unless I can find clays with edgespots and inlays (don't have to be custom) closer to .50 than 1.00, I think I'll be making the same order as you.

Dustin J.
02-28-2005, 03:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Have you already placed this order? I ask because I have been told in the past that they will not do blank horsehead's, even thought others have gotten them.

[/ QUOTE ]

I recently changed my order from blank romans with edgespots to blank horseheads with edgespots. I was told on the telephone that that usually don't allow the blank horseheads with edgespots, but they are behind on production of the romans so they would be making some exceptions.

ClonexxSA
02-28-2005, 04:30 PM
I have placed the order and was told blank horseheads with spots is fine.

However, after speaking to my wife who is monumentally cool, she told me to go for custom color printed chips because she wants this to be our anniversary present and we had a great idea for a chip set.

So I just got off the phone with Jane from pokerchips.com and changed my order around. Instead of 750 chips I am getting 550 to start with, but you can add on anytime later on at .95 a chip, no min order, no more color art charge. So in 6 months if i want to add 100 chips its only $95.

I changed the quantities to :

200, 150, 100, 50, 50

and I plan on adding more later on.

Overall I think I will be much happier with the custom printed chips. Yes, they cost a lot more, but it's a one time investment and we both figured if we were going to do this, we should do it as we truly want to do it and just say screw the cost.

I will post proofs of the chips as I get them from their art person. I know to expect a wait, I am a patient person once I have made up my mind heh.

Fins
02-28-2005, 05:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
However, after speaking to my wife who is monumentally cool, she told me to go for custom color printed chips because she wants this to be our anniversary present and we had a great idea for a chip set.
<snip>
Overall I think I will be much happier with the custom printed chips. Yes, they cost a lot more, but it's a one time investment and we both figured if we were going to do this, we should do it as we truly want to do it and just say screw the cost.

[/ QUOTE ]
Basically the same thing here... cool wife & all! I decided on custom Chipcos but was really torn... the waiting was a big factor. So congrats!!

Here's the 750 case link (http://www.5stardeal.com/deals/10Expand.asp?ProductCode=10-PC750). They have an e-bay store and sometimes it's a few bucks cheaper after shipping going that route. The case is very nice and I'm very pleased with it. Ten has some nice pics of it in one of the main Egyptian threads.

Look forward to seeing the proofs!

- Fins

ClonexxSA
02-28-2005, 06:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
<snip>

[/ QUOTE ]
Basically the same thing here... cool wife & all! I decided on custom Chipcos but was really torn... the waiting was a big factor. So congrats!!

Here's the 750 case link (http://www.5stardeal.com/deals/10Expand.asp?ProductCode=10-PC750). They have an e-bay store and sometimes it's a few bucks cheaper after shipping going that route. The case is very nice and I'm very pleased with it. Ten has some nice pics of it in one of the main Egyptian threads.

Look forward to seeing the proofs!

- Fins

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I just ordered that case along with another pair of Copag cards from 5stardeal. Total was like $112 which really isnt bad.

And yes my wife is killer, which is why I married her /images/graemlins/wink.gif. She's actually looking forward to the chips almost as much as I am. She really likes the concept we are using.

The wait is gonna kill me but I am sure I will be completely happy when the chips finally get here. Hopefully the art won't take that long, I sent an email with pretty specific instructions on what we wanted.

I forgot to mention that I was also agonizing over the Egyptians and Suited group buys as well. It took me well over 6 months to finally come to a decision on what to do and go through with it. I didn't do the egyptians or suited because I finally came to the realization that I really would only be happy with clay even though they were killer chips. Hopefully what we have decided is the final stop, we won't need to buy any more chips in the future except for some add ons to the custom set we are having done. We can also pass this set down to our daughter as a family keepsake.

Fins
02-28-2005, 11:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hopefully the art won't take that long, I sent an email with pretty specific instructions on what we wanted.

[/ QUOTE ]You've probably run across alot of similar comments but I'd follow up here and then follow up again preferably by phone & e-mail also I'd include your "pretty specific instructions" every time... but just from what I've read... you've probably read the same.

[ QUOTE ]
Hopefully what we have decided is the final stop, we won't need to buy any more chips in the future except for some add ons to the custom set we are having done. We can also pass this set down to our daughter as a family keepsake.

[/ QUOTE ]
Same sentiments here as we have a little girl though if we have another I may have to add a couple denoms and alter the chip design/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Maybe my 25¢ & $1000 chips will have a Jack inlay to go with the King & 2 queens... we got our hands full right now so that chip design is a little ways off.

- Fins

SpaceMonkey9
03-01-2005, 12:12 AM
Yes, follow up with phone calls. If you look at my Greek chips thread, you can see the mock ups I sent versus what they came back with. Very far apart.