PDA

View Full Version : Home Tourney Question: Do the cards speak?

BigDave
02-28-2005, 01:04 PM
I usually play 8-10 man tourneys live on the weekends, with many beginners. I always find myself correcting players from misreading the best hand when a showdown takes place (anything from when a kicker plays or not, and sometimes as bad as people not realizing they hit a straight or a flush), even if it means I lose the pot by doing so. One guy and I debate this privately after every tourney on whether or not we should correct people. I just do not like winning that way, and I never bite my tounge.

So, what do you guys think/how do you guys play? Do you have to announce your hand, or do the cards speak for themselves?

BillyKGB
02-28-2005, 01:27 PM
I always correct em!! Could never do the opposit!

But sometimes I have another "problem"..
I played with my family a week ago or so..
I got A9o and the flop is A J 9 rainbow
And my mom is all-in with a big grin on her face..
I'm thinking I'm up against a set..
Why else would she be so extremly happy?
But in the spirit of home games I call her..
(got her covered as well)

She sais "a-HA!" and throws up TT!!
I asked her why she went all-in.
her reply: "what do you mean? I have a straight!!"

well, she had a straight from 9 to J.. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

and I scooped up the cash..

jackdaniels
02-28-2005, 01:28 PM
I play with a few noobs as well and the standard practice is to flip your cards over at showdown and then cards speak. There is more EV in getting your friends to understand the game, play it better and maybe teach you a thing or two down the road than taking their $20 today because they misread the hand.

jackdaniels
02-28-2005, 01:30 PM
No shame in taking the money when they misplay a hand or misread the board - this will only encourage them to play better, learn more (especially if you take the time to teach them - which you should IMO).

TakeMeToTheRiver
02-28-2005, 01:50 PM
The better rule in a Tourney is that cards should always speak -- if someone misreads their own hand it effects everyone in the Tournament, not only the players in the hand.

In a cash game, its not as big a concern but the rule should be consistent.