PDA

View Full Version : AJ suited or off. UTG.

02-28-2005, 12:54 PM
Hi,
just a general question for NL. What to do if you get AJs UTG. Assuming a 5/10 game with very good players and a tight mood.
1) you have 100 left
2) you have 500 left
3) you have 5000 on the board

and if you guys have some time left, please the same for AJo.

/images/graemlins/confused.gif

spoohunter
02-28-2005, 02:11 PM
Toss it in the muck and find a softer game.

creedofhubris
02-28-2005, 03:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Toss it in the muck and find a softer game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh come on, you can't seriously fold AJs.

Find a softer game, yes. Dump that hand, no.

Offsuit, if I really feel tight, I will dump it occasionally.

02-28-2005, 04:06 PM
come on guys. you are not serious. it possibly could be fine in that game to raise it sometimes but just to think about mucking or leaving isn't a good approach to the question. and the other problem is, it is the only game. please try it again , ok?

Hardmix
02-28-2005, 04:25 PM
AJo...great hand to lose $ with. Having said that, assuming you have not played many hands.....utg with avg chip stack raise 3x to knock out the limpers while representing a strong hand. If you get more than 1 "tight" caller and catch a A or J on flop fire a pot sized bet. If you get called proceed with caution, if you get raised...muck. To me this situation really depends on the texture of the flop and how well you are reading your opponents.
Sorry to be vague on the reponse but there are too many variables to cover.

fsuplayer
02-28-2005, 04:28 PM
AJs-call.
AJo-fold.

radioheadfan
02-28-2005, 04:36 PM
This is a tough question to answer (b/c there is no "answer"), but the following seems reasonable:

With 100 behind, muck. (Why on earth would you have 100 behind?)

With 500 behind, limp and plan to call a raise from a late position player if you feel the pot will be multi-way.

With 5000 behind, limp and plan to call a raise from any player with a deep stack (150BBs +) or if it will go multiway.

I'd say dump AJo everytime UTG in a tough game. In a soft/passive game its a definite limp.

I can't see any argument for raising AJs here other than just playing a bluff b/c you will generally fold out worse hands and get called by hands that dominate you (best case scenario is you get one caller with a suited connector or small pair trying to "crack your aces or kings").

You want a multi-way pot and are shooting for top two pair, a straight, or the nut flush. Don't play AJs at all from UTG if you don't feel skilled in the area of playing draws out of position...cuz you will need to draw often to make playing the hand worth it.

Of course all this advice also depends on your table image and style. If you're Gus Hansen, you're probably raising AJo-A2o from the UTG routinely. If you're Dan Harrington, you're probably folding AJs from UTG a healthy percentage of the time.

Tough question to answer . . . b/c there is no answer . . . too many variables

02-28-2005, 04:55 PM
that IS a correct post. i handle it quite the same. my table image is that of a weak/tight student. so i get only some action if i am behind if i raise it. so i mostly limp with AJs and muck AJo. other thoughts?

fsuplayer
02-28-2005, 05:03 PM
this really isnt a tough issue. if the game is tough, muck AJo and limp with AJs.

raising them sucks.

and btw if I have $100 behind for some strange reason, you better believe the money is going in with either hand.

radioheadfan
02-28-2005, 05:17 PM
Why would you move in UTG with AJ on your last $100.

You're gonna get called by AK, AQ, and maybe AJ if you're lucky. You also might get called by pairs 7 and above. Big underdog or small underdog situation...barring some clown calling you with Ax, x < J, or KQ.

If you feel like gambling the blackjack table is sitting there waiting for you.

If I was on my last $100 at a 5/10 table UTG I'd just get up on the next hand and put my $100 in my pocket.

I'm certainly not donating my last $100 with AJ.

David
02-28-2005, 06:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
AJs-call.
AJo-fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

YEP! and by the way.....if your sitting with your last 100, GET UP and stick the 100 in your pocket. It's not a tournament, you can leave anytime.

ObnxNole
02-28-2005, 06:30 PM
While tossing your hand into to the muck purposely expose your hand as you say " I'm so much tighter than you humps." /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

NickDollar
02-28-2005, 08:34 PM
AJo UTG, unless the game is very weak or shorthanded or something, I muck. So, in this game, I muck. With $100, $1000, or $5000.

AJs UTG, I pretty much always call. So, in this game, I call. With $100, $1000, or $5000.