PDA

View Full Version : Making/Calling a Pure Bluff

Sam T.
02-28-2005, 12:45 PM
Hi all,

Hand from this weekend, Pokerstars NL $50 buy-in. I'm curious what you think of each player's decisions, street by street. Each player has around $50.00.

Player 1 in CO+1 with A/images/graemlins/spade.gif J/images/graemlins/heart.gif
Player 2 in SB with J/images/graemlins/club.gif J/images/graemlins/spade.gif
Antes are .25/.50

Action:
Folded to Player 1, who raises to 1.50
Player 2 calls.

Flop Qxx-rainbow (Pot $3.25)

Player 2 checks
Player 1 bets $2.00
Player 2 min-raises to $4.00.
Player 1 re-pops to $10.00.
Player 2 calls.

Turn is a brick that completes the rainbow. Pot ~$23.00.

Player 2 checks.
Player 1 pushes ~$30.
Player 2 thinks and thinks, and calls.

I'm trying to figure out who made what mistakes on this hand. Is this kind of bluff ill-advised at this level? Is calling a bad idea when there are a lot of hands out there that beat you?

Thanks in advance,

Sam

snappo
02-28-2005, 12:52 PM
I think player 2 should have reraised preflop, and then player 1 should have folded. That's it. :P

djoyce003
02-28-2005, 01:07 PM
Both players actually made pretty gutsy plays. It takes some stones to make a bluff at the pot. However, if i'm player 1, I made my stab on the flop and he called. He did not call with nothing, so it's time to start putting him on a hand. What would he call my bet with. He either has a pocket pair smaller than a queen, or a queen....those are the most likely holdings.

Things to consider when making this play are, will this guy lay down top pair lousy kicker....will this guy lay down an underpair. If your answer is yes, then the play is still very risky, but if you think the chances of him folding are good, they are possibly worth it. Other things to consider, have you pushed with a worse hand earlier, and gotten caught...if so, he's likely remembering that and is going to keep you honest. Factoring all these in is what makes this a bad play or a good one. I'm surprised he called actually.

schwza
02-28-2005, 01:53 PM
i almost never continue a bluff after villain has shown some interest in the hand. i would make a bluff 3-bet over the c/r very rarely, and the turn push never. you make your money when people hold on to marginal hands for dear life, not by moving them off top pair.

JJ should have reraised. since he didn't, i think he should lead the flop and fold to a raise.

TrailofTears
02-28-2005, 01:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i almost never continue a bluff after villain has shown some interest in the hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Some of the most important advice that a good poker player can take into the online poker arena.

-Trail

DoomSlice
02-28-2005, 02:16 PM
How much interest are we talking about... at Prima people call my flop bet and fold to my turn bet ALL the time.