PDA

View Full Version : Playing with the 2nd nut flush

Toonces
02-28-2005, 12:10 PM
20/40 Holdem that plays like small stakes.
Hero has K /images/graemlins/club.gif5 /images/graemlins/club.gif in MP3. Table is mostly loose. MP1 and CO are 2+2 quality players. MP2 is MP1's buddy, and is a good player, but seems to get loose when frustrated, and loves to criticize players.

UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, Hero makes a loose call, CO calls, button calls, blinds call.

Flop (8 SB): 6 /images/graemlins/club.gif 5 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 3 /images/graemlins/club.gif
Checked to MP2 who bets. Hero calls. CO raises. All fold to MP2 who calls. Hero calls.

Turn (7 BB): 6 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif
MP2 bets. Hero raises. CO folds. MP2 calls.

River: J /images/graemlins/club.gif
MP2 checks. Hero bets. MP2 calls.

After I show my flush, MP2 gives me all kinds of grief for my turn raise. My thoughts at the time were:
1. I may still have the best hand, but it would be vulnerable.
2. I had a bad feeling that the CO had the nut flush draw when he raised the flop, and thought that the my raise had a shot of knocking the nut flush draw out, especially considering the risk of MP2 3-betting and the possible boats out there.

Was he right?

Fat Nicky
02-28-2005, 12:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
After I show my flush, MP2 gives me all kinds of grief for my turn raise. My thoughts at the time were:
1. I may still have the best hand, but it would be vulnerable.
2. I had a bad feeling that the CO had the nut flush draw when he raised the flop, and thought that the my raise had a shot of knocking the nut flush draw out, especially considering the risk of MP2 3-betting and the possible boats out there.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like the turn raise because I do thing there is a good enough chance that you have the best hand here, and you have a ton of outs to improve. You want CO to fold overcards here, MP2 may even fold overcards, but if he calls the turn, you can take a free showdown if you don't hit your flush.

Also, unless CO is really weak, I don't think many player fold a flush draw here, even facing 2 bets on a paired board.

ams4
02-28-2005, 02:52 PM
I think you played the hand well. Although as stated you should be thinking about raising the turn to knock out overcards, not the nut flush draw. If the nut flush draw is in the hand he is NOT folding. So you just have to hope the nut flush draw isn't there.