PDA

View Full Version : who wants to be bank?

Hung
02-28-2005, 11:53 AM
I'm the host so I should be the bank, but I hate to be the bank. Last week there was 50 euro missing. I usually pay it out of my pocket. It's not the first time this happens. It usually happens to me, because I don't pay attention to these kinds of things. So 1 out of 10 times I get this crap. So I just pay it with the money I won. Last week I lost and I didn't feel like paying the loss /images/graemlins/blush.gif /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

I asked the winners to pay each 25 euro. Biggest winner had about 300 euro and second almost 200 euro. 5 min later I felt bad about it and gave them the money back but they refused. We're all friends, so it's no big deal. I just hate to be the bank, because you can only lose. You never win. If you give too many chips they wont say anything, but when you give less chips they'll complain.

Any advice on how we should do this?

Thanks.

JOHNNY#1
02-28-2005, 12:01 PM
When first starting out I ran into this problem also, #1 figure out what your avarage buy in is and count out stacks of that amount before your game starts....#2 don't let your players make change out of the bank, make them do it amongst themselves on the table....#3 only take money and give out chips 1 player at a time(don't let 3-4 people all throw money at you and then try to give everybody chips)
hope that helps

Hung
02-28-2005, 12:18 PM
Hey Johnny,
Nobody is allowed to go into the chipcase.
Everyone gets the same amount of chips when starting. They're all stacked next to each other so it's easy to spot any mistakes.

When cashing out I pay one at a time. I write everything down. I'm being very carefull. But we're all human and mistakes are easily made.
I should pay someone to sit there to cash in and cash out /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

FlipPokerFever
02-28-2005, 12:23 PM
is there any chance that someone is bringing in their own chips?
Another option might be to have a set prize sturcture....ie: First Place gets 50% of total cash, second gets 30%, third gets 20% or something.......that way, if 20 people play, at $10 each, that's $200....so first gets $100, second gets $60 and third gets $40. You only stop playing when there is a clear winner.

Hung
02-28-2005, 12:29 PM
Hey Flip,
We only oplay ring games.
I don't think someone is bringing exta chips in the game. I think it's my own fault. I'm in a game and people ask for for extra chips. So i'm focussed on the game or I'm talking to somone. It's really easy to give too many chips.
I don't really know how I could solve this. Someone else should be the bank.
I can't play, get drinks, talk and change chips all at the same time. I just want to play. Sit on my chair and not move arround at all.

smoore
02-28-2005, 01:04 PM
IMO, the host should be the bank. It's your game and you should be responsible for the money. As far as people wanting extra chips, perhaps you could just do certain denominations of chips, like $25 for instance. "You either buy a single $25 from me, or nothing at all, I'm not too good with the MAF!" That sucks you've been short a couple times.

edit: oh, and make those lazy bastards get thier own drinks!

jon_1van
02-28-2005, 01:22 PM
Designate a "pot-master"

the pot master is the only person allowed to cash-in or cash-out chips

The pot master pockets any pot overages.
The pot master also pays any pot shortages.

This way the pot master has incentive to make sure that $20 in cash becomes 20 in chips and then 20 in chips becomes $20 in cash.

We had your problem alot until we went to this system. The system fixed everything

Fins
02-28-2005, 01:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
They're all stacked next to each other so it's easy to spot any mistakes.

[/ QUOTE ]
Apparently not /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Count them out adhead of time and bag 'em if you have to especially if you don't always have the same number of players show up. Keep the xtra bags handy (for late shows) and keep a few higher denoms safely near you for rebuys.

I think the host should bank but if you're always the host then pass the duty around... make the banker responsible for shorts.

- Fins

tubalkain
02-28-2005, 03:04 PM
I'm never host for the home game I play in most, but I bank it anyway... everyone else I play with would steal from the bank given the opportunity, so I eliminate that opportunity by keeping the cash in my pocket. Chipcase stays locked.

smoore
03-01-2005, 04:27 PM
I play with some pretty shady bastards too /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Lottery Larry
03-01-2005, 04:37 PM
Are they THAT bad players to make this worthwhile? I'd expect them to cheat right and left as well. I guess it's good practice, but it's nerve-wracking.

Lottery Larry
03-01-2005, 04:39 PM
Having multiple people doing the bank opens up problems/hard feelings.

You're the host, you're stuck with the bank. Record the buy-ins and cashouts, check the bank totals (chips out= cash in) several times throughout the night.

The hands you miss are probably all 72o and T2s anyway. :P

msb
03-01-2005, 06:17 PM
This seems like you have some serious math problems.

My guess is that you are probably making mistakes when you cash back out. What I do is first ask the player how much he thinks it is... then I count the chips myself (creating stacks of $10) and if the number is the same, then it's most likely correct. If is isn't, then recount it together and out loud.

As far as buying in... I like to give out a lot of smaller demonimations in the original stacks (the ones most easily checked) and then when folks re-buy, just give them one or two higher denomination chips and have them color-down at the table. It's a lot harder to make a mistake when someone gives you $20 and you give him two $10 chips.

Finally... if you are the bank and you are the house, you make a house rule that says you can only rebuy "between" hands and the deal pauses until all rebuys are completed.

If after all of this, you are still short at the end of the night... well, then, you might just want to quit hosting.