PDA

View Full Version : 99 UTG

jah0550
02-28-2005, 11:24 AM
How did I play this hand incorrectly? I limped UTG with 9s and caught top set. Is there any way to get away from this hand? Should I even be playing 99 UTG in the first two levels of a SNG?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t15 (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Hero (t800)
UTG+1 (t800)
MP1 (t790)
MP2 (t610)
MP3 (t970)
CO (t770)
Button (t1765)
SB (t670)
BB (t825)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
Hero calls t15, UTG+1 calls t15, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP3 calls t15, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (t75) 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, Hero checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets t75</font>, SB calls t75, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t150</font>, UTG+1 calls t150, MP3 calls t75, SB calls t75.

Turn: (t675) Q/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets t505 (All-In)</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t635 (All-In)</font>, UTG+1 calls t635 (All-In), MP3 folds.

River: (t2450) 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players, 3 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: t2450

Lottery Larry
02-28-2005, 11:26 AM
why did you limp? You would have been in much better shape I guess if you had raised instead.

kevstreet
02-28-2005, 11:30 AM
I'm guessing someone played 67? I think you played pocket 9s perfectly. You saw a flop cheap, played it for set value and hit it. I don't think anyone could have gotten away from that hand. Not to mention you had outs if the board pairs, just bad luck.

shoeman
02-28-2005, 11:56 AM
I don't think you played this hand incorrectly at all. Actually, the only thing I would have done differently is to raise more on the flop...perhaps up to 250. I'm not sure it would have mattered though.

Limping with 99 for set value in level 1 is fine. I may fold lower pairs here but 99 is strong enough to play. You got the flop you wanted and got all your chips in the middle. There are really only 2 reasonable hands that have you beat. QQ would have raised.

Well played. Sorry about the 67 or JT.

mackthefork
02-28-2005, 12:03 PM
I like the limp preflop UTG with 99 early, on the flop don't min-raise, because

a) There are too many draws
b) Its a telegraph
c) Its slightly gay

I would raise to 250-300 and put the rest in when the Qc came. Otherwise I do the same, he had TJo right?
/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Regards Mack

jah0550
02-28-2005, 12:09 PM
Slightly gay? lol.
Anyway, I took a distant 3rd in the hand. The BB had 10J and the other jerk had 67, so even if I raised on the flop all-in, I would have been called by a straight.

gr8vertical
02-28-2005, 12:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]

c) Its slightly gay

[/ QUOTE ]

I have to admit, that was a funny way to start my morning. With a good laugh. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

kevstreet
02-28-2005, 12:13 PM
I just noticed you moved in on the Turn, sorry I thought it was on the flop. I agree that I would have raised a little more on the flop, it now looks like the villain threw out a blocking bet w/ an open-ended straight draw and hit it on the turn. I still think your pre-flop limp was fine especially out of position and I think I'm going broke on this hand unless he folds to a bigger bet on the flop.

mackthefork
02-28-2005, 12:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Slightly gay? lol.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry I meant to put a /images/graemlins/tongue.gif after that. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Anyway, I took a distant 3rd in the hand. The BB had 10J and the other jerk had 67, so even if I raised on the flop all-in, I would have been called by a straight.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even though this was the case, you still need to raise more on a flop like this, if it was rainbow and didn't make a ridiculous straight you could get fancy. I know you will already know that results are irrelevant.

Regards Mack

Bluff Daddy
02-28-2005, 12:16 PM
I say either raise preflop or fold, limping will get you into too much trouble post flop out of position. I agree that you should have raised more. If youre going to check raise you definently need to raise more than that especially with that many people in the hand and straight and flush possibilities

mackthefork
02-28-2005, 12:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I say either raise preflop or fold, limping will get you into too much trouble post flop out of position.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm prepared to go broke with a set, the only hand that beats him on this flop is 67, you can't afford to be scared of this. Also there have been made a number of good arguments for not raising preflop, including you have to fold to be big reraise, you will often be called and 2 overcards will come and force you to check and fold.

Regards Mack

shoeman
02-28-2005, 12:33 PM
No way I'm raising 99 in Early position in level 1. Too many times you'll get 2 callers with an overcard flop. Then you have to check fold. Playing for set value is the right move here IMO. My only other option would be to fold.

Bluff Daddy
02-28-2005, 12:36 PM
Thats why you just fold it preflop utg this early, postflop you cant really get away from it, but when you limp and the flop comes like that its too easy for someone to have 67 j10 etc.My point was if youre going to check raise and someone bets 75 and theres already a caller what good is a min raise going to do but build up the pot for the straight and flush draws?

Bluff Daddy
02-28-2005, 12:40 PM
so you would rather limp and call a raise?

shoeman
02-28-2005, 12:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
so you would rather limp and call a raise?

[/ QUOTE ]

I limp hoping I can see a flop for cheap. If there are any significant raises, I fold. (I'll call a min-raise, of course) I basically don't want to commit too many chips on a hand where you don't have position and you will fold post flop most of the time.

mackthefork
02-28-2005, 12:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My point was if youre going to check raise and someone bets 75 and theres already a caller what good is a min raise going to do but build up the pot for the straight and flush draws?

[/ QUOTE ]

Its a good point. I already made it, he has to raise far more here on the flop.

Regards Mack

Bluff Daddy
02-28-2005, 12:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
How did I play this hand incorrectly? I limped UTG with 9s and caught top set. Is there any way to get away from this hand? Should I even be playing 99 UTG in the first two levels of a SNG?

No fold it.

keikiwai
02-28-2005, 01:12 PM
I think I would bet the pot on the flop. It is 75, but u can't be scared of the wacky straight. Place this situation over and over betting the pot on the flop and you will come out ahead.

Also, it gives you info, if someone raises u fold. If people call u, pay attention.

Even out 290 at first level u can make a come back...

Peter.

hansarnic
02-28-2005, 01:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Thats why you just fold it preflop utg this early, postflop you cant really get away from it, but when you limp and the flop comes like that its too easy for someone to have 67 j10 etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, lots of things can happen on the flop &amp; sometimes do. That's not a reason not to play 99 UTG.

curtains
02-28-2005, 06:55 PM
I would bet out on the flop, (With so many opponents and a coordinated board, it's very likely you'll get action) and raise more for a check raise, as there are some dangerous cards that can come on the turn, and I believe they likely call a larger bet as well.

johnnybeef
02-28-2005, 11:31 PM
you have top set on a very coordinated board in a multiway hand. you need to raise more than the minimum if you are going to check raise, but id probably bet out and then push if a blank hits on the turn as you need this hand to get paid off. btw, i dont mind the limp in ep.