PDA

View Full Version : Sam's choice soda

otctrader
02-28-2005, 09:33 AM
http://www.colawp.com/colas/0/cola28.jpg

Preferred by trailer trash across the country! Am I the only cheapass who drinks this stuff? It's overcarbonated, but frankly I don't mind the taste vs. Coke or Pepsi and save myself 10 bucks a week with my diet soda addiction.

Filet O' Fish
02-28-2005, 10:53 AM
What you should really be concerned about besides the money you're saving, is the poisons they put in diet soda. I am dead serious about this. Also, the so called "diet" ingredients actually have the opposite effect. If you were to stop drinking all diet sodas and replace them with regular soda, you would in fact lose weight. Remember, artificial sweeteners are man made chemicals and cause all kinds of health problems including damage to the brain and nervous system.

If you want to learn more I recommend two books: Aspartame, Is it Safe? and Excitotoxins, The Taste That Kills both written by medical doctors. Word is born.

rusellmj
02-28-2005, 11:04 AM
Aspartame, in the artificial sweetner, is known to cause brain swelling. Which is why I get severe headaches when I drink or even eat products with nutrasweet. I have no idea how my friend drinks so much of it. Avoid.

Russ

Caruso329
02-28-2005, 11:26 AM
*Sigh* silly conspiracy theorists...

Aspartame is safe. (http://vm.cfsan.fda.gov/~dms/qa-adf9.html)

pshreck
02-28-2005, 11:32 AM
Wanna try something truly awful? Diet sodas without aspartame. Its basically soda that you can easily tell has no calories.

PoBoy321
02-28-2005, 11:36 AM
I love generic sodas. I currently have a refrigerator filled with Safeway Select Cola and it is delicious.

rusellmj
02-28-2005, 11:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
*Sigh* silly conspiracy theorists...

[/ QUOTE ]

*Sigh* silly lambs eating whatever you give them...

Russ

Caruso329
02-28-2005, 11:45 AM
A lamb? Please you can be more original than that. I don't drink diet soda, but without substantial proof, why should I believe something I read on the internet that wasn't published by a credible source? Also, just because something is written in a book doesn't mean it's true.

rusellmj
02-28-2005, 12:00 PM
This is from the link you provided.

Carefully controlled clinical studies show that aspartame is not an allergen. However, certain people with the genetic disease phenylketonuria (PKU), and pregnant women with hyperphenylalanine (high levels of phenylalanine in blood) have a problem with aspartame because they do not effectively metabolize the amino acid phenylalanine, one of aspartame's components. High levels of this amino acid in body fluids can cause brain damage. Therefore, FDA has ruled that all products containing aspartame must include a warning to phenylketonurics that the sweetener contains phenylalanine.

Do I really need to post a greatest hits list of drugs confirmed safe by the FDA and then recalled years later?

If you're so comfortable with it, drink up.

Russ

Caruso329
02-28-2005, 12:22 PM
http://www.barbuchu.com/palad1/arguing.jpg

Personally I think that the taste of diet soda is one of the most disgusting things I've tasted (that was meant to be edible), so I don't drink it unless there's nothing else to drink.

I concede.

astroglide
02-28-2005, 12:36 PM
so is vioxx!

Caruso329
02-28-2005, 12:39 PM
So is vioxx what?

Clarkmeister
02-28-2005, 12:49 PM
I don't like it more than coke, but I think it shits all over pepsi.

astroglide
02-28-2005, 01:08 PM
the fda approved vioxx, and that's one of many examples (but one from recent popular press that should be well-understood). the system is not foolproof. just because the fda allows the product to be sold it doesn't necessarily mean that we understand the long-term effects of it on humans.

RunDownHouse
02-28-2005, 01:21 PM
How about a laundry-list of other agencies, research institutes, and hospitals?

http://www.snopes.com/toxins/aspartame.asp

wacki
02-28-2005, 01:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
the system is not foolproof. just because the fda allows the product to be sold it doesn't necessarily mean that we understand the long-term effects of it on humans.

[/ QUOTE ]

The FDA is very thorough and has probably the best system on the planet. However, due to both practical and legal restrictions, there are some very serious problems with the system. There is a saying in the pharmaceutical business among researchers, "Don't try a drug until it is 6 years old unless you absolutely need it.". When it comes to life saving drugs, legal barriers get in the way due to the lack of an ability to do double blind tests and causes many other problems as well.

Aspartame is made up of l-aspartic acid and the methyl ester of phenylalanine. Aspartic acid is harmless and unless you have PKU, so is phenylalanine. The problem is the methyl ester which the liver breaks down into formaldehyde (a known carcinogen). People tend to freak out anytime something is labeled a carcinogen. Then again a can of tomato juice provides six times as much methanol as a can of apartame sweetened cola. Personally, I worry about the phosphoric acid in cola more than aspartame, but I don't drink cola anyway.

As for Vioxx, the mechanism that Vioxx uses to create it's harmful side effects is a rather unique one and therefore easier to overlook. Their statistical analysis during the clinical trials is suspect, but that happens all of the time. I see very poor statistical analysis methods when it comes to biology/medicine in the New York Times almost daily. Still, Merck & Co. should be held accountable if they did mess up.

bdk3clash
02-28-2005, 01:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Word is born.

[/ QUOTE ]
Isn't it supposed to be "Word is bond"?

Prof. Chaos
02-28-2005, 02:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Word is born.

[/ QUOTE ]