PDA

View Full Version : NES Contra

The Dude
02-28-2005, 07:01 AM
GuyOnTilt and I just made a small bet involving the game Contra for the original Nintendo. The problem is, we don't own it. Would anybody who lives in the LA or San Diego area and owns it be willing to loan it to us for an afternoon?

daryn
02-28-2005, 07:02 AM
emulator no g00t?

Burno
02-28-2005, 07:03 AM
Everyone is wondering...

What is the bet?

Hasn't GoT been hustled enough lately?

thatpfunk
02-28-2005, 07:11 AM
www.everyvideogame.com (http://www.everyvideogame.com) ?

The Dude
02-28-2005, 07:14 AM
Apparantly he hasn't. Here's the bet:

$200 and this counts as one of our "major bets." (The Dude currently leads the best-of-seven contest 2-1.)

GoT gets exactly four hours to practice playing the game, after which he gets one try to beat the game straight through without dieing. He came up with the parameters of the bet, and I accepted.

The Dude
02-28-2005, 07:17 AM
I don't have a problem with him using an emulator, but I'm sure familiarity with the controls would be a big issue for him.

Burno
02-28-2005, 07:18 AM
I think you're on the right end of this one. I can beat that game and end up with more lives than I started with, but I don't know if I can do it without dying. I'd want 8 or 10:1 if I were GoT.

thatpfunk
02-28-2005, 07:20 AM
Wow, does he want any more action on this by any chance? That would be quite impressive.

Michael Davis
02-28-2005, 07:21 AM
I think this is a bad bet for you if GoT is familiar with Contra, but I'm willing to be convinced otherwise. If he knows he has done this in the past, especially if he could do it every time, it won't be hard to get the feeling back in four hours.

I'm pretty sure I could still beat all of the Nintendo games I've already beaten in one chance, with the possible exception of SM3, where that last level is completely effed up and really hard. So if he knows he can do it without dying he's good.

-Michael

The Dude
02-28-2005, 07:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think this is a bad bet for you if GoT is familiar with Contra, but I'm willing to be convinced otherwise.

[/ QUOTE ]
I know it can be done, I've done it several times before. But in my Contra prime, I probably could only do it once out of three tries. (That's purely a guess many years after the fact.)

With 4 hours of practice, I'd be pretty good again, but definately not a 1:1 to beat it w/o dieing. If GoT is that much better at the game than I ever was, cool, he'll earn it.

But I doubt it.

The Dude
02-28-2005, 07:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Wow, does he want any more action on this by any chance?

[/ QUOTE ]
My guess is no, since I offered him $400, but he only accepted $200.

thatpfunk
02-28-2005, 07:46 AM
BTW, did oot never hear of the 2 other contests, or did I miss them? Is GoT just too classy of a guy to post his triumphs?

The Dude
02-28-2005, 08:12 AM
You just ruined my whole day. I've been playing Dragon Warrior since you posted that link, and since I can't save my game on thier site, I will have to beat it in one sitting.

thatpfunk
02-28-2005, 08:17 AM
You just have to do it old school, pause the game and leave it on... Minimize the window...

The days before saved games were rough... Glad someone else is wasting their days as well.

turnipmonster
02-28-2005, 12:01 PM
do the parameters of the bet involve him not using the 30 life cheat code?

Caruso329
02-28-2005, 12:27 PM
I don't think it will matter since that it is stated he cannot die. I don't think he'll make it.

nolanfan34
02-28-2005, 12:31 PM
....aaaannnnddd The Dude now leads 3-1.

No way he can do that after 4 hours of practice. Beat the game, yes, without dying, no.

And Dude, you need to stop starting these threads. I'm serious. I played like 1 hour of poker over the weekend, and like 10 hours of Dragon Warrior.

Edit for crappy spelling

astroglide
02-28-2005, 12:35 PM
beating contra w/o dying a single time is not really difficult. have him try to beat the simpsons or gauntlet. maybe fester's quest.

Eurotrash
02-28-2005, 12:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
fester's quest.

[/ QUOTE ]

nightmarishly difficult.

Patrick del Poker Grande
02-28-2005, 12:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Wow, does he want any more action on this by any chance? That would be quite impressive.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm not impressed. I've got two friends from college who used to play Contra for time to beat the game. They never died and they would play to break their previous time by a second or two. They'd seriously go like 20 games in a row before dying, single-player and two-player. I don't remember what the final time was, but it was determined that it could not be improved any further, because they kept hitting within about a second of it and that was with what must be at least 99% efficiency - they were always moving forward or hitting the target with their shots.

Granted, they obviously had much more than 4 hours of playing time, but it's still well doable. All this being said, I've gotta say I like The Dude's chances on this one.

Eurotrash
02-28-2005, 12:41 PM
I started DW1 on saturday and finished on sunday.. absolutely could not stop playing. I have DW2 on tap after I get some work done in the next few days (with installments 3 and 4 to follow after that.) I'm excited.

pshreck
02-28-2005, 12:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
beating contra w/o dying a single time is not really difficult. have him try to beat the simpsons or gauntlet. maybe fester's quest.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong. It might not be difficult for you, but its tough to not make 1 mistake in the whole game, especially when the pressure is on.

-Syk-
02-28-2005, 01:02 PM
That's a terrible bet. Contra is extremely hard and even 4 hours of practice isn't nearly enough to beat it without dying.

[ QUOTE ]
beating contra w/o dying a single time is not really difficult.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would love to see you do this.

The Dude
02-28-2005, 02:20 PM
Come on guys, we're off topic here. Let's focus. Who has the game so I can borrow it?

Reef
02-28-2005, 02:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
he gets one try to beat the game straight through without dieing.

[/ QUOTE ]

The levels themselves are easy enough to get through, however, the bosses will just plain f#ck you up with their spread gun sh!t.

my prediction: The Dude:3 GoT:1

The Dude
02-28-2005, 02:26 PM
I've been playing Dragon Warrior for about 7 hours straight now, and I think the game just froze up on me. The "A" and "B" buttons still work, but for some reason it thinks I'm holding "up" on the keypad.

Not that I didn't thoroughly enjoy my time so far, but I'll be very disappointed if this doesn't fix in the next few minutes.

Reef
02-28-2005, 02:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
fester's quest.

[/ QUOTE ]

nightmarishly difficult.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree. Beating the bosses just need good timing with using your invicibility, missiles, etc. The key is just to get your gun/whip pimped out ASAP. It's difficult, but not nightmarishly.

peachy
02-28-2005, 02:29 PM
u guys and ur silly bets!!

Freakin
02-28-2005, 02:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Come on guys, we're off topic here. Let's focus. Who has the game so I can borrow it?

[/ QUOTE ]

this guy (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=62053&item=8172203 033&rd=1)

Freakin

*EDIT * and here too (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=62053&item=8172297 082&rd=1#ebayphotohosting)

Eurotrash
02-28-2005, 02:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It's difficult, but not nightmarishly.

[/ QUOTE ]

ok, fair enough. the last time I played this game was a good 10+ years ago.. (except for one time about 2 months ago when I played it for about 5 minutes and wondered how I was ever able to play it before.)

..so, I think maybe it just seemed incredibly difficult back then.

The Dude
02-28-2005, 02:39 PM
Can't you read? That guy's from Ohio. Gosh you're stupid.

nolanfan34
02-28-2005, 02:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you think of trying this (http://www.dexonline.com/servlet/ActionServlet?pid=bfull&last10Saved=false&resultFo rm=BASIC&queryText=video+games&previousQueryText=v ideo+games&queryType=HEADINGDD&locationVerified=tr ue&state=CA&cityText=Azusa&surroundingAreas=true&m etroID=94480&popCat=true&headingID=2884), jackass?

A used copy will cost you like $5.

Freakin
02-28-2005, 02:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you think of trying this (http://www.dexonline.com/servlet/ActionServlet?pid=bfull&last10Saved=false&resultFo rm=BASIC&queryText=video+games&previousQueryText=v ideo+games&queryType=HEADINGDD&locationVerified=tr ue&state=CA&cityText=Azusa&surroundingAreas=true&m etroID=94480&popCat=true&headingID=2884), jackass?

[/ QUOTE ]

You're gonna have a hard time finding a NES game as popular as contra from a store like that. I checked Gamestop online, and they show no copies available w/n 200 miles of LA, and they are backorder online, and charging liek $35 for copies. It's definitely going to be easier to get online.

Freakin

nolanfan34
02-28-2005, 02:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You're gonna have a hard time finding a NES game as popular as contra from a store like that. I checked Gamestop online, and they show no copies available w/n 200 miles of LA, and they are backorder online, and charging liek $35 for copies. It's definitely going to be easier to get online.

Freakin

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm, guess I'm the jackass now. /images/graemlins/blush.gif

Who knew it was such a collector's item? Ebay's not such a bad idea after all in that case.

The Dude
02-28-2005, 02:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, so who's the jackass now? Jackass.

astroglide
02-28-2005, 03:01 PM
tmnt 1 for nes was one hard motherfucker too. getting through the searchlights and then the shredder fight etc. if it weren't for donatello it woulda been impossible.

The Dude
02-28-2005, 03:02 PM
That game took me forever to beat! Very cool, though.

TMNT 2, although much easier to beat, was more fun.

nolanfan34
02-28-2005, 03:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, so who's the jackass now? Jackass.

[/ QUOTE ]

See above, I admitted I'm an idiot.

I still don't understand why you guys don't just do this on an emulator. If you have a gamepad of any sort, it's basically the same as playing it on NES.

Freakin
02-28-2005, 03:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
tmnt 1 for nes was one hard motherfucker too. getting through the searchlights and then the shredder fight etc. if it weren't for donatello it woulda been impossible.

[/ QUOTE ]

It took me so long to learn how to beat the dam level. However, it seems to be a skill I have not forgotten. I played the game like a month ago and barely even touched the electric things.

Freakin

The Dude
02-28-2005, 03:16 PM
I don't have any problem whatsoever with using an emulator, but I won't object to GoT insisting on the original.

And your a jackass, not an idiot. Get it right.

astroglide
02-28-2005, 03:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The Dude
02-28-2005, 03:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Okay, maybe he's both. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

nolanfan34
02-28-2005, 03:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What, you gotta pile on now too Astro?

I prefer nit anyway.

***THREAD HIJACK ALERT***

Check this out. Guy is selling these on eBay:

http://www.boldag.com/ag/images/NES/nintendoUSB.JPG

How hard is it to rewire one of these to make it USB compatable?

nolanfan34
02-28-2005, 03:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Okay, maybe he's both. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Very un-dude like. /images/graemlins/mad.gif

astroglide
02-28-2005, 03:33 PM
i quoted it because he misspelled "you're" while instructing somebody to "get it right"

The Dude
02-28-2005, 03:35 PM
Yeah well, at least I didn't mis-quote The Big Lebowski like that jackass.

nolanfan34
02-28-2005, 03:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i quoted it because he misspelled "you're" while instructing somebody to "get it right"

[/ QUOTE ]

Good catch, thanks. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

I think I've embarrassed myself enough for one day.

WEASEL45
02-28-2005, 03:39 PM
Im pretty sure i own it but i have to look when i go home for lunch. i live in El Segundo right by LAX. I'll let you know if i find it

The Dude
02-28-2005, 03:41 PM
Sweet! Good man.

nolanfan34
02-28-2005, 03:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Im pretty sure i own it but i have to look when i go home for lunch. i live in El Segundo right by LAX. I'll let you know if i find it

[/ QUOTE ]

Since the game is so scarce, I think you should charge these guys $10/day to borrow it.

/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Patrick del Poker Grande
02-28-2005, 03:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Since the game is so scarce, I think you should charge these guys $10/day to borrow it.

[/ QUOTE ]
Or at least get action on the wager.

BusterStacks
02-28-2005, 03:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I would love to see you do this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Put some money on it, I will make a video of me doing it. BTW, hardest NES game on earth is Legacy of the Wizard.

Eurotrash
02-28-2005, 03:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Legacy of the Wizard.

[/ QUOTE ]

very tough.

BusterStacks
02-28-2005, 03:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Legacy of the Wizard.

[/ QUOTE ]

very tough.

[/ QUOTE ]

oh god. so tough. have you beat it? I could not.

Eurotrash
02-28-2005, 03:57 PM
hells no.

I was only able to find a couple of the easier crowns.. I remember at one point vowing to use cheats to try to beat it but never got around to it. Still was a fun game, though. For some reason this game reminds of another called Faxanadu, which kicked ass. i'm pretty sure it's because I played them around the same time.

Voltron87
02-28-2005, 04:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Or at least get action on the wager.

[/ QUOTE ]

A bit of free action would follow the spirit of the loan and OOT well.

The Dude
02-28-2005, 04:19 PM
I'll give you $50 if GoT wins the bet.

Reef
02-28-2005, 04:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Freakin

[/ QUOTE ]

eBay (http://search.ebay.com/contra-NES_W0QQfkrZ1QQfromZR8)

beerbandit
02-28-2005, 04:26 PM
here (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=62053&item=8172180 926&rd=1)

sorry i dont have it anymore --- im not sure what i traded it for

sounds like a good bet though, it would take me a few mins just to get used to the contoller again

what only two buttons to use.............

good luck

cheers

WEASEL45
02-28-2005, 05:35 PM
i couldnt find it but i talked to my friend and he said he was pretty sure he had it but he has to look for it tonight.

iI'll let you know if he finds it.

Gallopin Gael
02-28-2005, 09:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
www.everyvideogame.com (http://www.everyvideogame.com) ?

[/ QUOTE ]

*cries*

I don't have time for all this.....

This site is beautiful.

Finally I shall defeat Mike Tyson!!

-Syk-
02-28-2005, 10:48 PM
Mike Tyson is extremely easy to beat.

thatpfunk
02-28-2005, 10:58 PM
Explain... I could never do it. He didn't have a secret did he?

The Dude
03-01-2005, 05:36 AM
Thanks, but tell him to nevermind. I just bought the game on eBay.