PDA

View Full Version : rate this play

jaydoggie
02-28-2005, 05:14 AM
11 rebuy tournament on stars 3 hours in, player in question has T23000 and is dealt AKs in LP. Blinds 400/800.

4 limp, Hero raises to 6000, SB calls, everyone else bails. SB is the only one in the hand who has our Hero covered.

Flop comes J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif T/images/graemlins/club.gif 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif

SB checks, Hero pushes.

Rate this play. My argument is this is a hand you give up on, with the flop theres very few hands the SB calls with that you can beat, or get to fold. IMO, 66-77 will drop out, AQ is all you dominate anymore. 88-AA is sticking around for obvious reasons. AJ/AT reverse dominated you, KQ has you smoked. So when you cant beat en, check. Hero's opinion is "you have to win pots with nothing to win big tournaments"

deacsoft
02-28-2005, 06:00 AM
Why the preflop raise to 6K? 3200-4000 is the standard raise.

Also, remember that it was checked to you. You still have position. Why not check and take the free card to your overcards and inside straight draw? Regardless of what hits on the turn SB still has to act before you. Use that information to make a more informed decesion.

schwza
02-28-2005, 05:58 PM
i'd make the pre-flop raise around 4500. you're still making it unappealing for any of the limpers to call you.

i like the flop push. my problem with checking behind is that you don't know which of your outs are good. he could have AJ-A9, killing your ace, or a Q, killing your K. push now and you don't have to play guessing games if you get a favorable card. you'll likely have ~7 outs if you get called, which is bad but not a disaster.

gyndok
02-28-2005, 06:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
11 rebuy tournament on stars 3 hours in, player in question has T23000 and is dealt AKs in LP. Blinds 400/800.

4 limp, Hero raises to 6000, SB calls, everyone else bails. SB is the only one in the hand who has our Hero covered.

Flop comes J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif T/images/graemlins/club.gif 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif

SB checks, Hero pushes.

Rate this play. My argument is this is a hand you give up on, with the flop theres very few hands the SB calls with that you can beat, or get to fold. IMO, 66-77 will drop out, AQ is all you dominate anymore. 88-AA is sticking around for obvious reasons. AJ/AT reverse dominated you, KQ has you smoked. So when you cant beat en, check. Hero's opinion is "you have to win pots with nothing to win big tournaments"

[/ QUOTE ]

The push feels good until he shows you his set.

You still have lots of play with your stack and the blinds as low as they are. I think you might be able to find a better spot..

G

Double Eagle
02-28-2005, 06:15 PM
Hmmmmmm, SB cold calls a 6k raise and then checks the flop. Methinks the hero is in big trouble here quite often. I have to assume I'm cooked unless a Q comes so a free card is looking quite good about now. I call time, do my four-outer dance, then check behind.

schwza
02-28-2005, 06:55 PM
hmmm, after reading other posters' responses, i'm convinced. check behind and pray for a Q.

ThrillFactor
02-28-2005, 07:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
... My argument is this is a hand you give up on, with the flop theres very few hands the SB calls with that you can beat, or get to fold. IMO, 66-77 will drop out, AQ is all you dominate anymore. 88-AA is sticking around for obvious reasons. AJ/AT reverse dominated you, KQ has you smoked. So when you cant beat en, check.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think your argument is dead-on.

hurlyburly
02-28-2005, 09:16 PM
It's a nice fishy play. Be glad he did it. What did you call with?

jaydoggie
03-01-2005, 06:42 AM
incase anyone was interested, i wasnt involved in the hand at all. i got in a small argument with my uncle who made the push. he got called by TT and busted. his arguement was that you have to win alot of missed flops, and i wasnt disagreeing with that at all, but i was trying to explain that there are times when you are behind so often that you have a much much better chance of checking and picking a better spot, than pushing and busting. thanks for the comments.