PDA

View Full Version : JJ in multiway pot.

einbert
02-28-2005, 04:42 AM
I really am not certain about the turn bet, should I have check/called? I think the bet was right.

On the river I paid off the raise because the pot was fairly large, and he could easily have two pair rather than the straight. Clear fold?

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (8 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with J/images/graemlins/heart.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: (8 SB) 3/images/graemlins/club.gif, 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 calls, SB folds, BB folds.

Turn: (5 BB) 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, Hero calls.

River: (9 BB) J/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 13 BB

Argus
02-28-2005, 05:48 AM
I think the turn bet is correct; you have no reason yet to believe that your JJ isn't good, or at least worth showing down, especially with outs to trip, a straight, or a flush. Once you get raised you have to think what MP1 might raise you with: flush, straight, two-pair, slowset. You're getting 8:1 drawing thin against a flush (it's unlikely that his diamond is ten or lower), chopping with a straight, and beating a twopair or set if you hit. I evaluate your outs like this:
J: 1 out: I will very generously say your set will win half the time.
T: 2 outs: The T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif is huge, but you're chopping the straight oftentimes if any other ten comes.
any other diamond: 3 outs: I lazily estimate that your jack high flush is good a bit less than half the time. The ace or king falling are better for you, and small diamonds falling leave me fearing the ace.

A conservative six outs at 8:1 is decent enough of a call, so do that. I don't think I would bet the river, but it's probably not too bad of a mistake. A thinking villain could very easily play a queen with A or K /images/graemlins/diamond.gif kicker this way, but getting raised is very sad. Personally I don't think your hand is good 55% of the time and I'm certain that villain will not check this through, so I check/call.

Rico Suave
02-28-2005, 10:41 AM
Einbert:

[ QUOTE ]
I really am not certain about the turn bet,

[/ QUOTE ]

If that was your primary question, then you probably should have stopped the action at that point. Also, a read on MP might help on the turn decision.

I think there is a pretty good argument for checking this turn, especially if your opponent is not a complete retard. You picked up a boatload of outs against a Q and you cannot fold if you get raised. Check with outs.

I play the river the same.

--Rico