PDA

View Full Version : More on implied odds in NL Hold 'Em

flavaham
02-28-2005, 04:25 AM
Okay, so I've gone back to "The Theory of Poker" and reread the implied odds section. Here's where I'm confused. If implied odds sometimes make calling correct even when the pot odds don't, shouldn't the standard raise be more than the pot when protecting against a draw? If I have top two and there are two hearts on the flop I need to protect that. The odds of completing the flush are better than 2-1. Implied odds on that bet might still give the drawing player 10-1 odds. If you bet twice the pot I think you have done a better job of protecting and when you get called down the person doing the suck out has taken much the worst of it. Am I way off base here? Let me try to give an example and we'll see if it sticks...

NL hold 'em - $5/$10 blinds
You hold A /images/graemlins/spade.gifK /images/graemlins/spade.gif on the button and raise preflop to $35. BB calls your raise w/ J /images/graemlins/heart.gif9 /images/graemlins/heart.gif. There is now $75 in the pot.

Flop: A /images/graemlins/heart.gif K /images/graemlins/heart.gif 2 /images/graemlins/club.gif

Suppose now that you have $200 left in front of you. When you bet $75, the pot is laying 2-1 odds on his flush draw. That's not enough to see one card, but the $200 in front of me now makes his implied odds 350-75 or 3 2/3 to 1 which is enough to make it a correct call to see two cards.

Wouldn't a bet of $150 make more sense? Now his pot odds to see the turn are 1.5 to 1 and implied odds of 2.33 to 1 (again he is better that 2-1 w/ two cards to come). Although his implied odds are still enough to call (if he wants to see two cards), his pot odds are really very bad and his +EV is not all that high to hit his flush.

This makes some sense to me so I hope that someone took the time to read this and drop some ideas on it.
Thanks!
-G

spentrent
02-28-2005, 07:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Suppose now that you have $200 left in front of you. When you bet $75, the pot is laying 2-1 odds on his flush draw. That's not enough to see one card, but the $200 in front of me now makes his implied odds 350-75 or 3 2/3 to 1 which is enough to make it a correct call to see two cards.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're going to bet again on the turn, aren't you? In this case, he got 3.7 to 1 on the flop and when you push the turn he gets 4.4 to 1. Those odds don't pay the bills.