PDA

View Full Version : Ciaffone/Reuben vs Ciaffone&Reuben

IronDragon1
02-28-2005, 02:57 AM
I have both "How Good Is Your Pot Limit Omaha?" by Stewart Reuben and "Omaha:Hold'em" by Bob Ciaffone and both have improved my game quite a bit.

However, I was wondering if anyone had anythoughts on whether or not I should also purchase if their "Pot Limit/No Limit Poker" adds anything to these two books in regards to Pot Limit Omaha.

CurryLover
02-28-2005, 08:10 AM
There has been a lot written on this forum about the Ciaffone and Reuben book.

In a nutshell, the answer to your question is that you should definitely read this book. It is superb.

PJS
02-28-2005, 11:25 AM
I'll second that.

"Pot Limit and No Limit Poker" is a totally different style of book to the "How Good Is Your" books. It's without doubt worth a read.

npc
03-01-2005, 12:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]

However, I was wondering if anyone had anythoughts on whether or not I should also purchase if their "Pot Limit/No Limit Poker" adds anything to these two books in regards to Pot Limit Omaha.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would say, "yes". The real question is how much Reuben's quiz books add to "Pot Limit and No Limit Poker".

JohnG
03-04-2005, 02:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I have both "How Good Is Your Pot Limit Omaha?" by Stewart Reuben and "Omaha:Hold'em" by Bob Ciaffone and both have improved my game quite a bit.

[/ QUOTE ]

It probably wouldn't do any harm. I would recommend you get it along with Ciaffone's 'improve your poker'. If you only get one, get improve your poker. Excellent book for PLO.

BluffTHIS!
03-04-2005, 10:37 PM
You need to read these books in the proper order which is OHP by Ciaffone, PL&NLP by C/R and then How Good Is Your Pot-Limit Omaha by Reuben. PL&NLP has critical fundamental information about playing in any big bet poker games. One warning about Reuben's book though. If you try to play as many hands and in the positions he does in the hand examples he gives, you could well lose all your money fast. He is a professional playing in the biggest game in London and with many of the same players all the time. His ability to play more hands and marginal ones in early position is due to his expertness in pot-limit omaha in particular, as well as the fact that he has great reads on most of his regular adversaries. You should also note that his play of such hands in early position often violates both normal starting hand requirements and his and Ciaffone's own admomitions in PL&NLP not to play so many marginal drawing hands in front. He can do so for the reasons above but you would be advised to play tighter until you have more experience and better reads on your opponents.