PDA

View Full Version : Overplayed AQ?

jdp
02-28-2005, 01:48 AM
5/10 NL at PokerStars.
I'm in the SB with $1079.
Villain is in MP with $1500 (unknown player).

I have AsQs, 3 limpers including Villain to me.
I raise to $60 to thin the field, only Villain calls.
Flop: 2h 5c Qc. (Pot $140)
I bet $100.
Villain calls.
Turn: 4d (Pot $340)
I bet $240 (I don't want to give a Flush draw good odds.)
Villain raises allin (about $700 to me.)
I call, river Kc.
Villain has trip 2's to win the pot.
Probably I should have folded to the big raise.
Any comments please?

Popinjay
02-28-2005, 02:27 AM
against an unknown this is a really easy fold

technologic
02-28-2005, 02:59 AM
when you bet, you shouldn't have just one specific goal or purpose for making those bets, they should be multifaceted ie, you bet to take off a free card later, gain information on another person's holding, build a pot/control pot size. something so simple as, i think i have the best hand, i will bet will be easily detected behavior and more observant opponents will merely fold when they don't have a hand, and make you pay for overaggressive play on TPTK hands.

now to the specific hand, the opponent knows you have a premium hand, you announced it by raising in the small blind. when he raises the turn, do you really think he's doing this with just a flush draw? you led out twice meaning that's a FAIRLY good indication you have something, meaning that he has less than optimal fold equity in making such a play. this is an easy fold.

jdp
02-28-2005, 03:33 AM
Yes very true guys - had a sudden rush of blood to
the head I think /images/graemlins/smile.gif
Any strong disagreements with my bet sizes on the flop or turn? (or preflop?)

beta1607
02-28-2005, 04:07 AM
I dont like raising AQ from the small blind - it forces you to play a bigger pot out of position with a hand that easily makes a second best hand.

Also, I think this is an easy fold on the turn

creedofhubris
02-28-2005, 06:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I dont like raising AQ from the small blind - it forces you to play a bigger pot out of position with a hand that easily makes a second best hand.

Also, I think this is an easy fold on the turn

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree 100% here. Save your blind raises for suited connectors, big pairs, and AK sooooted if you're feeling frisky.