PDA

View Full Version : Too loose?

Shang Chou
02-28-2005, 01:30 AM
Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO 3-bets</font>, Button calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (10.50 SB) 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, Button folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (7.25 BB) 6/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (9.25 BB) 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 11.25 BB

Shang Chou
02-28-2005, 01:33 AM
Advice on all streets is appreciated.

How terrible is raising Q9suited from the hijack seat? I woulda done this from the button or cutoff seat for sure. How much worse can it be doing it from the hijack seat when its folded around to me?

How often will I be shown AK or AQ vs 1010, JJ, QQ, KK, AA? My opponent was a pretty TAGgy player who was 21/10 vpip/pfr and seemed reasonably good.

Harv72b
02-28-2005, 01:48 AM
Q9s is an easy muck for me from MP3 on 2/4, although I don't think the raise is bad if you have a bunch of tight players behind you. I might be more apt to try this move on 3/6, but even then I think I'd just let it go.

I think I would've led the turn as well on this hand...if you get raised again by CO, you can fold your hand fairly easily. If you are just called, probably check/call the blank river (giving AK/AQ a chance to bluff).

einbert
02-28-2005, 04:31 AM
PF is good on a tight table, at 3/6 this is an autoraise for me unless some very LPP player is between me and the BB.

I'm not so sure about the turn check, depends on how aggro CO is. Can you fold to a turn raise here? I think you could. I think I would bet/fold the turn and bet/fold the river. The way you played it overcards or a spade draw could take a free card on the turn. Or you could 3-bet the flop and check/fold the turn UI if capped. I think the way you played this on the turn is too passive, but if CO is aggro enough to always bet this turn and possibly blluff-raise you on the river, this is a good line.

jt1
02-28-2005, 04:37 AM
it's an autoraise for me. I'd check raise the flop

ucfryan
02-28-2005, 05:36 AM
Not sure about preflop, but I'm definately c/ring the flop.

mosta
02-28-2005, 12:42 PM
it is a bit over the loose side PF. but it's right to do if your image is right and the opponents are right (probably most of the time in this game). You ask, if it's pretty clearly a raise from the button how can one seat or two seats make that much difference? Well, there are twice as many players who could take position on you, as opposed to being in CO. the difference is significant.

your line post flop is reasonable, and there's not a definitive way to play the hand. you want to show it down and extract value, not fold, you don't want to give free cards to overs, but you also don't want to push a pile of chips over to an overpair. You can't do all of theses things perfectly at the same time. Which compromise you pick, depends on how you think you can exploit this player in some of the scenarios. Your line is best if the guy is aggressive enough to play overs this way on the flop and turn. But then you should probably bet the river. That keeps him from checking behind, and hopefully that stopping bet will scare him into thinking you might hvae spiked a smaller pair so he won't raise a lot of his better hands. you will probably want to fold to a river raise. not knowing the opponent, how I would picture the hand going down is bet/3-bet the flop and lead the turn. the problem here is you probably have to lay down to a turn raise, and you didn't want to fold this hand. check-raising the flop is also possible. no one line is right. each one is designed to exploit some misplay of his--an over aggression, or undeaggression, etc. pick the right one for the opponent, and for your image right then.

emil3000
02-28-2005, 12:52 PM
Checkraise the flop. You don't know anything more about his hand now, you must call it down.
In the games I play in it is an auto-raise preflop, not sure about 2/4.

27offsooot
02-28-2005, 01:18 PM
PF: table dependent

I actually like your line on this hand post-flop.

First, i think that a flop c/r is a very bad idea. I like the flop lead with the button still around, but would not lead if this were HU. I suppose u can lead into him on the turn if u are prepared to fold to a river bet when he raises the turn and u do not improve. I think that I prefer a check-call on the turn though. On the river, I want to see a showdown so I think i check-call here. I can see betting and folding to a raise, but I hate to fold in such a large pot. Also, he may not call with unimproved overs enough to make betting the river optimal but will take a final shot at bluffing with them.

mosta
02-28-2005, 02:36 PM
by the time I posted I forgot about the third player in on the flop. that's the best reason for leading the flop, I think. you want him to get raised out. checkraising the button can tie in the third player and your hand is too vulnerable.

now if it were heads up v. the button on the flop, I still might lead with the intention of three-betting. comparing this to check-raising, you gain and lose bets and half bets depending on whether he is going to fold to your turn bet, and whether you are behind the whole way. it may be a toss up, but I'm not sure and have to go.

Shang Chou
02-28-2005, 02:51 PM
Checkraising the flop seems to put me in a crappy situation on the turn where I am vulnerable to a raise on the turn. I dont want to take control of the hand and spew chips with only top pair considering the action preflop. At the same time I am not comfortable with my somewhat passive call down play; I expected to see something like QQ or KK when I called down.

Thanks so far for the advice.

27offsooot
02-28-2005, 02:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
by the time I posted I forgot about the third player in on the flop. that's the best reason for leading the flop, I think. you want him to get raised out.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a reason, but not the only one.

[ QUOTE ]

now if it were heads up v. the button on the flop, I still might lead with the intention of three-betting. comparing this to check-raising, you gain and lose bets and half bets depending on whether he is going to fold to your turn bet, and whether you are behind the whole way. it may be a toss up, but I'm not sure and have to go.

[/ QUOTE ]

c/ring this HU is also a bad idea though not quite as bad as doing it with the button still in. Opponent will likely see the river with two overcards b/c of the pot size so you can't protect your hand in any way HU. The best line will involve losing the least when behind and gaining the most here when ahead. Something along the lines of check-call, check-call, check-call (or bet the river and fold to a raise UI against certain opponents is best) would ensure this HU.